OT - Status of rec.woodworking

:) That would be doing the impossible, Leon! The guy loves attention and disruption of the NG. I wonder what other groups he harasses?

dave

Le> I agree with you Greg. While the announcement sounds interesting, this post

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The funny thing is that he is now so OBVIOUS...

Reply to
Leon

'Samuel T.' is either the troll himself (about 99.9999% probable), or a blithering idiot who doesn't _actually_ know squat about reading headers.

His so-called 'evidence' relies on an 'X-NNTP-Posting-Host' header (which is *not* the same as the genuine 'NNTP-Posting-Host' header), and which occurs in messages posted via a mail-to-news gateway, and sent *as*email* to that point through the sneakemail (anonymous email account service) _mail_server_. The putative posting-host header was added_before_ the message got to the mail-to-news gateway. Since mail-servers _don-t_ insert any such header, it _must_ have been inserted by the *originator* of the message, before sending that _email_.

EVERYTHING ELSE The original poster 'speculates' about can be similarly discounted. Since his basic "facts" are proven to be 'not trustworthy'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Unfortunately, he's found a new/additional avenue, not involving dizum.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

The two aren't mutually exclusive, Robert.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How 'bout snipped-for-privacy@daveshouse.com Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Of course, as a fellow programmer, I immediately recognized Robert's use of the inclusive OR. Had he meant that "Samuel" was one, or the other, but not both, I'm sure he would have said that "Samuel" is either the troll himself, XOR a blithering idiot...

:-)

Doug Miller

We all (going out on a limb here) wish you could use your programming prowess to put the bozo out of business, Doug. :)

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I gather you didn't read the post then, I was actually defending you. Mind you, if you *were* the troll, I'd expect you to reply the way you did!

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

Me, too -- but TCP/IP networking isn't my area of expertise. Sorry.

Doug Miller

'Samuel T' is full of it. the 'troll' posts were sent by *email*, through a mail-to-news gateway. *email* doesn't support a 'NNTP-Posting-Host' header. That is the exclusive domain of a _news_ server.

Furthermore, the header on the troll posts is 'X-NNTP-Posting-Host', which is _not_at_all_ the same as 'NNTP-Posting-Host'.

The 'X-' header _must_ have been added _by_the_troll_ *before* sending his e-mail.

I _wonder_ how 'Samuel T' came to be aware of that 'addition'. Well, not really.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Unfortunately there is a big problem with the NNTP protocols, they are not designed to work for large groups. The basic model was simply to take a bunch of mailing lists and send them together in one feed to save bandwidth. Kinda ironic given the amount of bandwidth NNTP chews up without any purpose at all.

The only way to deal with trolls is to have a decent authentication and moderation system built into the forum. Slashdot is a good example of a relatively troll free forum (if you browse at +1 or above).

The emergence of RSS may provide a means of improving on NNTP, possibly. There are still big problems to be solved.

Phill

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Headers are quite easy to add in many clients. Some usenet services will let you add your own headers by demarcating them with colons or other tags. If you're tired of being spoofed, start signing your messages with pgp or get an account at spoofproof.org (it's free). Trolls are a fact of life, and their sole reason for existance is to be obnoxious.

--

-linux_lad To verify that this post isn't forged, click here:

-linux_lad

the authenticated user is "john". what EXACTLY does that prove? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking sincerely, to try to understand this stuff; what is the point of "authenticating" message to a newsgroup? guys are so lazy they won't even check for dizum in the header before dissing someone who has been spoofed. it all seems useless, but maybe you can shed some more light on this subject of combating impersonators. thanks! BTW, the idiot is so outrageous it boggles my mind that anyone would think his messages are from the impersonated posters.

dave

-l> Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave