OT - Status of rec.woodworking

Page 2 of 2
so why would he do that if the Organization shows up as Dizum? that's a dead giveaway that HE isn't ME, so what's the point of spoofing an IP? We need some new laws!!
dave
Swingman wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

So they can't be tracked ... spammers are famous for it.

Won't work ... you can't legislate morality, or the Internet.
It will eventually take a new ip protocol to get the thing done propoerly ... the guys who invented the underpinnings of the 'Internet" were idealist to a large extent and did not foresee the need to arm the protocols against human meanness and greed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Unfortunately, he's found a new/additional avenue, not involving dizum.
This entire message was likely a cut and paste job! A little time and effort spent by anyone who can read headers could fake ANY IP address as the alleged source.
In typed:

good point, Rossco.
dave
Rossco in Oshawa wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Headers are quite easy to add in many clients. Some usenet services will let you add your own headers by demarcating them with colons or other tags. If you're tired of being spoofed, start signing your messages with pgp or get an account at spoofproof.org (it's free). Trolls are a fact of life, and their sole reason for existance is to be obnoxious.
-- -linux_lad To verify that this post isn't forged, click here: http://www.spoofproof.org/verify.php?sig d0c87f1b574b1322337ddf7d759f9d
the authenticated user is "john". what EXACTLY does that prove? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking sincerely, to try to understand this stuff; what is the point of "authenticating" message to a newsgroup? guys are so lazy they won't even check for dizum in the header before dissing someone who has been spoofed. it all seems useless, but maybe you can shed some more light on this subject of combating impersonators. thanks! BTW, the idiot is so outrageous it boggles my mind that anyone would think his messages are from the impersonated posters.
dave
-linux_lad wrote:

Well, here's a little hint about admin...me: His post comes from tenlinks.com. Whois on tenlinks.com shows its complaint address located at: snipped-for-privacy@webperception.com Who seems to be the actual hosting site. That said, it's possible the headers are forged, but not likely, based on the general makeup of the complete header area. The "interesting" part is that this person, with such a community-minded orientation is hiding behind a fictitious address and allows no method of contact. Were I to post such information, in order to give it credibility, I would add that I could be reached at a throw-away address such as my dilbert84AThotmailDOTcom account. But I see there is no hint of corrobating evidence that is easily checked; only assumptions and opinion.
Pop
PS - I don't read the dilbert account very often unless I am expecting mail there. So, be aware I'm not expecting mail there.

'Samuel T.' is either the troll himself (about 99.9999% probable), or a blithering idiot who doesn't _actually_ know squat about reading headers.
His so-called 'evidence' relies on an 'X-NNTP-Posting-Host' header (which is *not* the same as the genuine 'NNTP-Posting-Host' header), and which occurs in messages posted via a mail-to-news gateway, and sent *as*email* to that point through the sneakemail (anonymous email account service) _mail_server_. The putative posting-host header was added_before_ the message got to the mail-to-news gateway. Since mail-servers _don-t_ insert any such header, it _must_ have been inserted by the *originator* of the message, before sending that _email_.
EVERYTHING ELSE The original poster 'speculates' about can be similarly discounted. Since his basic "facts" are proven to be 'not trustworthy'.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, Robert.
;-)
--
Formosa's Law: "The truly insane have enough on their plates without us adding
to it."
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca wrote:

the inclusive OR. Had he meant that "Samuel" was one, or the other, but not both, I'm sure he would have said that "Samuel" is either the troll himself, XOR a blithering idiot...
:-)
We all (going out on a limb here) wish you could use your programming prowess to put the bozo out of business, Doug. :)
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

'Samuel T' is full of it. the 'troll' posts were sent by *email*, through a mail-to-news gateway. *email* doesn't support a 'NNTP-Posting-Host' header. That is the exclusive domain of a _news_ server.
Furthermore, the header on the troll posts is 'X-NNTP-Posting-Host', which is _not_at_all_ the same as 'NNTP-Posting-Host'.
The 'X-' header _must_ have been added _by_the_troll_ *before* sending his e-mail.
I _wonder_ how 'Samuel T' came to be aware of that 'addition'. Well, not really. <wry grin>