OT: SSD drive prices have dropped drastically this week.

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in wrote:

Better check your calculations again. 200Kbytes / 1000 records = 200 bytes per record, not 4.
4 bytes is the average length per *field*, not per *record*.

for even a name, no matter how you encode it.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

200Kbytes / 1000 customers = 200 bytes per customer, not 4.
On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 15:56:22 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

customer is an impressive database? The point stands.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

You *originally* said it was four bytes per *record*.

No, your point does not stand. Your point was that Lew was supposedly bs-ing because he supposedly had 4-byte customer records -- which of course he does not.
And I neither said nor implied that there was anything "impressive" about a 200-byte customer record. *All* I did was point out the error in your calculation.
On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 22:12:49 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

...and I just said you were right. Perhaps you should learn to read.

You really do need to take a remedial reading class. So? At 200bytes, the point still stands. It's obviously not an impressive database at all. Tight programming or no (in fact it says nothing other than it's a very simple - trivial - DB).

...and I admitted the error. You're so eager to prove me wrong (at anything) that you cannot read. The error makes no difference to the point made; it's a trivial problem and says nothing about the underlying quality of the code.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

I think you're the one in need of improved reading here. Go back and read what *you* wrote to Lew. Then write whatever you want in reply; I won't see it, and you can have the last word here. I think I must have un-killfiled you inadvertently when I changed news clients a year or so ago. I can see that it's way past time to remedy that error.
Bye now.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 02:20:07 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Good Lord, you're dense! I admitted that I made the mistake of conflating the record and field length. The point is still valid, as I've explained (though it's clear you don't want to read it).

At least you admit that you're so blinded by some ancient rage that you just *have* to find fault with whatever I say. You can't even read what I've written you're so consumed. Sad, really. The Usenet just isn't that important.

Do come back when you've learned to read.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/lib/kvm/email-server-root.img bs=1m count92
On 6/9/2014 10:15 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

used to use it for taking raw disk files and moving them to tape. or vice versa.
I think you are using dd to show creating an 8gb disk. But really you should just be defining the mount for them to understand.
--
Jeff

Leon did ask where I found an 8GB disk :-)
Here, dd(1) is creating an "empty" 8GB virtual disk and reserving the disk space for it. This is a root disk for a virtual machine and is mounted as usual by the installer when installing the OS onto the virtual disk.
On 6/10/2014 8:41 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

No, LOL I was asking about a hard disk, not drive.