OT: SSD drive prices have dropped drastically this week.

Page 1 of 3
From about $1.15 per gb to less half that.
512gb for under $200.
Where 256gb was over $256 recently.
Finally affordable.
--
Jeff

Replaced the drive in my ancient (2002 vintage) Dell dual-core laptop with a 240GB SSD. Never have to worry about moving it while in use or if a bump or jar will damage the drive. Just close it up, tuck it under my arm and go to the next place. Would have been nice to have it 15 years ago when I carefully carried a laptop around a network lab to talk to big pieces of Cisco hardware.
If there weren't so much stuff to load at startup (antivirus, firewall, etc) it would run a close second to my Lenovo tablet on boot speed.
On 6/3/2014 9:39 AM, woodchucker wrote:

If you put one in, a SSD, I have read that you should not run an optimization/derangementer. I don't, at least not in the last 3 years.

There is no reason to do so and all it does is waste time (and write cycles). Defraggers/optimizers are intended to put files together so the head is where it needs to be when it needs to be there. Since SSDs have no head, defragmenting is rather silly. Add to that, the SSD screws up file sequencing, intentionally, and keeps moving stuff around to "load level" (keeps the number of writes constant across the drive).

Do you mean "defragmenter"? Windows 7 does some sort of defragmentation in the background, but I don't remember any of the details. They might turn it off for SSD, after all there's no delay as the drive waits for the head to move and platter to come to the right point.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 6/3/2014 11:07 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yeah Deframenterifenter!

In Jan bought Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb for $308.99. from BH Online. Been waiting ages for prices to drop. Finally bought one and it's fast....... for Dell laptop.
woodchucker wrote:

Then $100 (on sale) for a second Intel 40GB ssd about two years after that.
It's worth noting that I had to update the firmware in the first ssd in order to make them compatible with the Intel "SSD Toolbox" (a necessity). A full-backup is strongly suggested by the manufacturer (though I didn't run into any problems).
Maybe the most (only?) important point in my post. Not all ssd components are created equal. When I bought mine, Intel had the best performance specs.
I'm glad to see the price trend!
Bill wrote:

I will correct myself. Each of the SSD's I referred to above were 80GB, not 40GB.

On 6/4/2014 10:09 PM, Bill wrote:

<snip>

At my time it was the Crucial M4, not the fastest, but best overall.
Tom's Hardware still thinks highly of Crucial. SSD reviews:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-2.html
Note Samsung 840EVO 250GB @ $135

--
pentapus

On 6/5/2014 5:38 PM, pentapus wrote:

quickly. 256gb is $99
--
Jeff

On 6/5/2014 9:02 PM, woodchucker wrote:

But they are already back in stock it looks like. Can't do this until I'm back to work.. But I would consider 512 for 199 reasonable. That's all I would need for my laptop.
--
Jeff

On 6/5/2014 9:49 PM, woodchucker wrote:

That's a deal...
Out of curiosity I checked regular laptop HD prices:
$80 for a 2.5 1TB Seagate momentus
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST1000LM024/
Decent hardware is getting really cheap. As cheap as the junk.

Yeah, tempts me, but it has to go at the end of the list.

It's a lot of laptop drive!

--
pentapus

On 6/6/2014 3:37 AM, pentapus wrote:

Seagate has been around for a long time, so to speak. Have you had any luck with that brand? I have had two computers with a Seagate drives, one about 25 years ago and one as recently as 2 years ago. Both failed and those are the only hard drives that have failed IIRC. I have heard that this is not unusual for a Seagate drive.
On 6/6/2014 8:29 AM, Leon wrote:

I'm not in the hardware business, so I can't really say, but my Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM is running fine. So is a friends bought a couple years ago. Others aren't so happy with theirs. I have the crucial SSD and 4 Gigs of RAM so the drive is just handling data.
Seems like HD companies have their ups and downs. Both Maxtor and WD went through a really bad patch and I went with them on that. I've had drives from both where not only the original failed, but the replacement also! I've heard really bad things about the current Green WD.
Looks like Hitachi is the current champ:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/putting-hard-drive-reliability-to-the-test-shows-not-all-disks-are-equal/
It's been said that good judgement comes from experience. And experience comes from bad judgement. You don't always know until after the fact!

--
pentapus

On 6/6/2014 9:11 AM, pentapus wrote:

My last Seagate was external strictly for data and would spin but would cause my computer to freeze daily. I was unaware that was the problem until I started seeing that data was occasionally not obtainable. Finally I unplugged after 6 months of aggravation and the problem was solved. Hummmmmmm ;~)

Good to hear, that is what my new primary drive brand is.

On Friday, June 6, 2014 3:50:03 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:

How 'new' is this info, anyhow? Hitachi HD division became HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technology) and is now a Western Digital company...
<http://www.hgst.com/about-hgst-storage
On 6/6/2014 8:29 AM, Leon wrote:

ago. I had to buy multiples for my raid setup, and those drives failed.
I was treated poorly by the IBM people (kids), and it was awful. They finally sent new drives ( I was still under warranty) and those failed quickly. Long after that I saw a class action for those same drives. How PC mag rated them the best is confusing.
I have had luck with both WD and Seagates.
--
Jeff

On 6/3/2014 10:39 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Cool.

My understanding at the time is that you don't get as many write cycles on a SSD as a HD. They have wear leveling software in them for that purpose. Not so much an issue as to counter the clear benefits. And I suspect they are improving. Many thumbs drives are purely driven by cost and seem to be getting worse!
--
pentapus

On 6/4/2014 11:14 AM, pentapus wrote:

Well maybe not. My primary SSD was 128 gig and I keep my data on another internal drive. If you are using Windows you will quickly out grow 64 gig. My 128 was 82% full just from security updates, the OS, and program files. I recently went to a 256 for my primary drive.