OT: Spray foam release agent?

Just getting ready for the spray foam guy and was sorta thinking I'd like to be able to tear off the roofing planks down the line if I need to. In those areas where the foam will be in direct contact with wood I'd like to spray some sort of release agent so that I won't destroy the insulation between the rafters if I need to replace a plank. (There's no plywood up there - it's 1x6's...the old, real ones.) Cooking spray? Vaseline? This wood is rough cut so it's gonna grab fercertain unless I do something.. Thanks. JP ********************************* And will it ruin the spray foam?
On 11/27/2012 7:10 PM, JayPique wrote:

be able to tear off the roofing planks down the line if I need to. In those areas where the foam will be in direct contact with wood I'd like to spray some sort of release agent so that I won't destroy the insulation between the rafters if I need to replace a plank. (There's no plywood up there - it's 1x6's...the old, real ones.) Cooking spray? Vaseline? This wood is rough cut so it's gonna grab fercertain unless I do something..

waxed paper, duct tape.
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:10:33 -0800 (PST), JayPique

able to tear off the roofing planks down the line if I need to. In those areas where the foam will be in direct contact with wood I'd like to spray some sort of release agent so that I won't destroy the insulation between the rafters if I need to replace a plank. (There's no plywood up there - it's 1x6's...the old, real ones.) Cooking spray? Vaseline? This wood is rough cut so it's gonna grab fercertain unless I do something..

How about resin paper, lightly stapled to the ply with a home stapler? You can't spray anything or it will get on the rafters themselves and the foam won't stick, even if it didn't interfere with the chemical process.
BTW, I've read horror stories that when foam doesn't go off correctly, it sometimes smells like dead fish. That possibility prevents me from ever trying it.
Alternative answer: Aw, don't worry about that. Just lift an edge and whack the foam off it with your katana. Won't take but a second.
-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod
On 11/27/2012 7:10 PM, JayPique wrote:

be able to tear off the roofing planks down the line if I need to. In those areas where the foam will be in direct contact with wood I'd like to spray some sort of release agent so that I won't destroy the insulation between the rafters if I need to replace a plank. (There's no plywood up there - it's 1x6's...the old, real ones.) Cooking spray? Vaseline? This wood is rough cut so it's gonna grab fercertain unless I do something..

Just a thought here, you are anticipating something that has not happened and or may not happen. How much trouble is it going to be to pretreat the area? If you treat the area what if the foam does not stick and starts to fall down? Would it not be less trouble and expensive to simply wait to see if you will need future repairs and if the foam is damaged have the guys come out and retreat with foam in the repaired spots?
On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:22:29 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
<snip>

Yes, I believe you are right. Hooray! Less work for me! JP **************** Time for a nap

What did the spray foam guy say to use? (Silicone mold release aerosol is a likely choice)

This is a very bad idea. If you do this don't expect any kind of warranty from the installer and if you ask them what to use I'm sure they will think you are crazy.
But anyway if its just a board then I guess you just tear it off and fix the foam.
Just getting ready for the spray foam guy and was sorta thinking I'd like to be able to tear off the roofing planks down the line if I need to. In those areas where the foam will be in direct contact with wood I'd like to spray some sort of release agent so that I won't destroy the insulation between the rafters if I need to replace a plank. (There's no plywood up there - it's 1x6's...the old, real ones.) Cooking spray? Vaseline? This wood is rough cut so it's gonna grab fercertain unless I do something.. Thanks. JP ********************************* And will it ruin the spray foam?
I think you have your answer, but let me add...by adding a layer of "anything" between the roof deck and the foam, you are eliminating the adhesion of the foam and thus, allowing the potential of moisture buildup which will then guarantee you will need to remove part of the roof and repair. Allowing the foam to adhere properly eliminates any chance of moisture buildup. Maintaining the shingles and barrier will ensure a solid, dry free roof and eliminating the need for repairs. Any required repairs would stem from an act from mother nature which causes damage (tree branch, misc. debris, etc.). Otherwise, there shouldn't be any other problems.