OT: Spell properly

Page 1 of 3
In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have forgotten the art of capitalization. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement.
"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
Is everybody clear on that now?
Dontyajusthateitwhenpeopledonotusecapitalsorpunctuation?
---------
"George W Frost" wrote in message
In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have forgotten the art of capitalization. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement.
"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
Is everybody clear on that now?

Another Net-Nanny is always welcome! Please feel free to correct everything that irritates you! All the time! Everywhere!

He makes a very good point, and with humor. (you may have missed the humor part) I passed it on to a few others.
Perhaps you don't see it, but I run into a lot of rather poor correspondence. Many people growing up in the "texting age" are incapable of writing more than a single sentence with proper punctuation and structure. While not all that important in a newsgroup, it can be very important in business correspondence if you want to be taken seriously.
On 7/23/2011 6:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No kidding! In Houston as well as other places I suppose the typed acronym is being spoken. OMG! IDKNT over heard in one of my wife's girly stores while I was tagging along.
Maybe you just didn't notice, but there were many people who could not write a coherent sentence, punctuate, spell or capitalize correctly long before text messaging became popular.

The overuse of commas can be a sin as well.
Max
On 7/22/2011 8:23 PM, George W Frost wrote:

Hey I thought that was the coma rule.
"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle, Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Your uncle is in a coma?
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

Maybe the horse wasn't in the mood.
> On 7/22/2011 8:23 PM, George W Frost wrote: > In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who > send text messages and emails have forgotten the art of capitalization. For > those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following > statement. > > "Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a > horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse." > > Is everybody clear on that now?
You're talking to Muricans here. They don't even speak good English, never mind write it.
Max (speaks Texan)
On 7/23/2011 10:06 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yeah! LOL

You've still isolated the jack off from your uncle. Wouldn't it be:
"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle, jack off a horse."

You flunked punctuation, too. <grin>
*IF* you're goint to put the coma (sic) in, it would be: "Capitalization is the difference between 'helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse' and 'helping your uncle jack off a horse.' "
On 7/23/11 1:17 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

All of you, stop embarrassing yourselves. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/23/2011 1:17 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

"But" I am not "goint" to do it that way. ;~)

Some of ya'll have strange hobbies! ; )

Bill, Bill, Bill. Here we are in a thread dedicated to cleaning up spelling, punctuation, capitalization and bad breath, and you open a whole new can of improper grammar worms.
First, it is spelled y'all.
Second, y'all is singular. So your sentence 'Some of ya'll have strange hobbies' has both a misspelling and improper grammar.
Third, the proper plural form is: All y'all. You should have written "Some of all y'all have strange hobbies.", which would still be incorrect because you should have written just:
"All y'all are strange.", which is true, and why we hang out here.
Regards, Roy
Roy wrote: ...

Gosh, I lived in OK for a while and thought I had my basic grammer figured out. Nice to see you back, Roy!
Bill
On 7/24/2011 12:13 AM, Roy wrote:

Ok, Y'all is plural.
All y'all is uneducated speak by people that would say, I seen it. Or I ain't got no money.
;~)