OT: spell check

Page 2 of 2

I am not up to snuff with that stuff, yet. I'll deal with it when the need arises, but thanks for the heads up!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Funny!
The Acer Aspire 5520 that I'm typing this on, came with 2GB Ram, a DVD burner, etc... and it runs GREAT with Vista Home Basic on the stock AMD processor.
The machine is 99% Free of charge and/or open source software, like Open Office, T-Bird, Firefox, AOPA Flight Planner... I did pay for Cutlist+ and Norton Anti-Virus, which run great on this computer.
I paid $399 + $3 shipping from Newegg.com last June.
Did you use it much before the upgrades, or did you start "tuning" it the moment it arrived.

backing up cost too much time and CD's.
I fought with the machine quite a bit, then found the upgrade path to the newer-better processor and decided to give it a go. Around the same time I couldn't instal SP1, so decided to do a clean reinstall. All the fiddling takes a lot of time, but I also enjoy it.
Much of my software is payware, but there is a break in getting it from work (I have a job at a NYC medical school playing professor).
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I hear that!
I picked up an $89 500GB USB drive for backups, also from Newegg.
Han wrote:

The reason I ask, is that lots of the complaints I hear come from people who immediately started screwing with things from the moment they opened the box, before they actually had a feel for the actual operation of the OS. Kind of the old "manual over the shoulder" syndrome... Where the complaints start because things aren't exactly as the user expected them to be, rather than taking a moment to try it as things arrived.
When I bought this computer, I almost passed because of the Vista horror stories repeated ad-nauseam. I even looked at Apple notebooks. Since this machine gets tossed in a flight bag, which gets wet, frozen, baked, crammed into tiny baggage compartments, sat on, etc...
I wanted CHEAP, so I wouldn't cry when it breaks. Since all I need is wireless Internet access, basic office type stuff, ITunes to keep the Podcasts up to date, and to run some not so taxing flight planning and weight / balance / performance calculating software, so I wasn't looking for killer performance.
Cheap quickly eliminated Apple, and even eliminated competing, more prestigious branded notebooks that came factory loaded with XP.
This notebook, and the Vista load have been a wonderful pickup! The soft plastic case has easily scratched, but otherwise, I'm super happy with my $402 purchase! The power management works well, the resume feature has worked well for me, surprising...
The only real issue I had was getting it into my home network, but adding a patch to the XP machines (to recognize the Vista machine) easily fixed all that. My only real complaint with Vista on this machine regards how MS dumbed down the backup routine. I like the stock backup program in XP much better. But hey, it's a cheap laptop that works really well.
You can't beat those educational software prices, eh? I use my wife's teaching certificate to buy. Killer prices!
*snip*

Backing up nowadays is getting to be so cheap and easy to do it's almost harder NOT to do it. I put a second drive in my Mom's machine to back up her data just in case the primary one failed (again.)

Cheap machines often have integrated video cards that share system RAM. That might account for quite a bit of your feel. It doesn't help that Vista is ahead of the technology curve, either.

Funny, I've been able to get my Mac to crash a few times. Usually what happens is the application all of a sudden goes away. At least with Windows I get an error message that lets me guess at the cause.
Maybe I'm just trying to be too PC with my Mac.
Puckdropper
--
For the record: This post was made without spell checking at all.

On Dec 4, 6:02pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

In all fairness, I do not consider myself an average Mac user. I'm pretty comfortable with the platform.

lol... no. PC as in Personal Computer. Instead of getting most my stuff from Apple or an Apple-friendly dealer, I do strange things like run open source software or find the OS X drivers for hardware.
I'm definately note your average computer user.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

:-)
I was also thinking along those lines.
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show

"... In America, they haven't spoken it for years!"         --- Prof. 'Enry 'Iggins (My Fair Lady)
British or English :-)
Martin
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Thanks guys. The only choice is French, Damn, no engrish. I'll try a third party
cm

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:14:27 +0000, cm wrote

There was a good one down our street last week but it was mainly reggae music and Red Stripe. There was nothing but Bordeaux at the two earlier, though...

Thanks, dammit. I now have 10cc's Dreadlock Holiday in my head...
(Of course, that's not the 10cc from the early days..one of the most brilliant bands of the 70's. Unsung giants)
"Don't like Jamaica... oh noo, I love her..uhhh" *reaches for the phone..there has GOT to be a deal on a flight...*
he he he!
cm

Do you have Microsoft Office or Word installed? They share the spell check dictionary.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Apparently there are two different problems with similar symptoms, one coming from doing an upgrade installation of XP over some other MS operating system and the other from running Office 2007 on XP.
--John
I found an old copy of Office 2003 and installed that. All is good now.
cm