OT: spell check

I bought a new laptop last night and set up Outlook Express for my NG's. I think the spell check language is set to French?? How do I switch to engrish?

cm

Reply to
cm

I don't think they have one for engrish (I assume you mean the language discussed at

Now if English comes close enough for your needs it should be tools/options/spelling.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote

Actually, on my copy of Outlook Express, the desired menu selection would be tools/options/read/international settings.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:37:44 +0000, cm wrote (in article ):

It's Microsoft. The simplest solution would be to sell up, move to France and learn to live with the language.

Seriously though, ditch the Outlook and replace it with something that will make usenet a comfortable experience - maybe on of the Agent series or.. anything really.

I don't know the current incarnation of Outlook, but all of then so far have been virus magnets, if only for the default configuration. I keep separate e-mail addresses for writing to known Outlook users because I _know_ that once my address goes into an Outlook address book, it will only be a matter of time before I get assailed with spam from the Trojans and encapsulated nasties that will have sucked off my details from the recipient's system and broadcast it God-knows-where.

If you don't know how to change the dictionary defaults then you'll certainly not have set things up to make you immune from the timebomb you're using. Ditch it, please.

Sorry that wasn't apparently much direct help and I'll probably start some kind of war on her, but my intention isn't to be troll provocateur, it's to advise you from direct experience and try and make things easier in the long term.

Years ago, MS dictionaries had to be dragged into the active, executable directory. There's probably some gaily animated icon thingie to do it now.... More MS savvy users than me will surely tell you what it is you think you need to know :-)

er... I accept I may have a personal bias here.

--BB (Mac user since 1986)

Reply to
Bored Borg

In Outlook Express click on:

Tools Options "Spelling" tab

In the lower portion of the windows under "Language" select "English (United States)"

Reply to
Nova

I had to download a free spell checker and install it to change to English

Reply to
eperry2424

Years ago you had to start Rolls-Royces with a hand crank after manually presetting the ignition timing too, so I guess that that's a reason for somebody who's driving around in a new Phantom to sell it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That sets the fonts and encoding, not the spell check language.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mac users, in most cases, don't need spell checkers. Most know how to spell already.

I have 5 Macs. The oldest a G-3 (B&W) which is my mail server and printer manager.

(Since '84. 128K of whopping RAM and an outboard.....wait for it.....external floppy.)

Reply to
Robatoy

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:15:55 +0000, J. Clarke wrote (in article ):

Surely one gets one's manservant to do these things?

I believe the new Phantom has a switch to start the engine - it's a bell push which alerts one's footman of the need to reprime and hand crank the power producifier.

Reply to
Bored Borg

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:19:38 +0000, Nova wrote (in article ):

shouldn't that be English OR United States ??

(ducks timidly and sneaks out in the confusion)

Reply to
Bored Borg

A Lisa? All Hail the in at the groundfloor user!!! My first was a Plus - IMb of memory eventually upgraded to 4MB with 4 simms at £100 each and a 20Mb external Rodime that was the envy of everyone on the block.. Cost about a year's salary, I think. Screen was black and white, of course. No greys, just black and white, about 7 inches across.. Fantastically easy to read, which may surprise anyone who never used one.

Now got a G5 (my main machine), G4 for mail and music mounted alongside, running about fifteen hard drives between them, then there's two 7100s, three LCs (in loft somewhere) a Translucent iMac for the kid and a Performa as a print server

Incidentally, the best word processor I ever used was Word 4 which ran on the Plus, LCs and 7100s. Accurate wysywyg, fantastic tools including spell checkers for most languages (no grammar checker) which did EVERYTHING one could ever want in a word processor. It didn't pretend to be a magazine layout program and it wasn't bogged down with drawing modules or the travesty of an HTML editor which subsequent releases enabled untutored users to spew bastardized proprietory tagged and unreadable non-standard mark-up all over the internet. It had industrial-strength mail merge capabilities and was fast, even with a formatted 1000 page document. Glorious software. Compare that with the current Office.. which takes about 20 times longer to load, runs at about 1/2 the screen speed , has about 1/3 of the screen taken up with unintelligible icons, won't read documents produced with its own earlier versions and requires infinite disc space to run along and STILL chokes on long documents.. Yep, Word 4 would fit on a 720k floppy, along with the operating system and enough document space to process and format a King James Bible or two.

Progress?

Yeah, we've got coloured dancing icons now...

Think I'll go and make some sawdust...

Reply to
Bored Borg

CM

It is a known issue with Outlook Express. If you Google Outlook and spell check and French you will see you are not alone. Most of the fixes involve a 3rd party spell check. I don't think MS has released a fix yet.

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

:-)

I was also thinking along those lines.

Reply to
Stuart

The fix is called "Vista".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ahh yes, Vista... the answer to the question nobody asked.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks guys. The only choice is French, Damn, no engrish. I'll try a third party

cm

Reply to
cm

Robatoy wrote in news:34b954c5-3339-403c-8a15- snipped-for-privacy@f3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Well, finally my Acer Aspire 3680-2633 (~$400) is running nicely (Vista Home Basic). Upped RAM to 2 GB ($100), replaced DVD reader/CD riter with DVD/CD writer ($70), replaced CPU with Intel Core DUo T7200 (~$170). Reinstalled everything ($25 for disks) to get Vista SP2 installed. My time was mine to do with what I wanted ..........

Reply to
Han

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:14:27 +0000, cm wrote (in article ):

There was a good one down our street last week but it was mainly reggae music and Red Stripe. There was nothing but Bordeaux at the two earlier, though...

Reply to
Bored Borg

And it's actually the answer to the assertions that Windows is not secure. Vista comes locked down and a lot of software vendors are having trouble dealing with that.

Reply to
J. Clarke