OT: Southern weather

Page 3 of 3
Steve B wrote:

Yep. It snows about a quarter-inch here in Houston every ten years or so. People stock up on canned goods, the freeways, schools, and airport are shut down, people huddle in their family rooms and pray, church pews fill up, children scrape the snow off of car hoods, make six-inch tall snowmen and call them good. The city flings sand on the streets, along with ashes, sawdust, corn stalks, sheets of plywood, and anything else it can find. The mayor has a press conference every thirty minutes to remind residents to tune in CONELRAD on their AM radios.
On the other hand, as soon as a hurricane enters the Gulf, visitors from the northern climes look down and say: "Feet! Make tracks!" Natives stock up on beer and Strawberry PopTarts in anticipation of all the block parties.

CONELRAD? I suppose it would be a perfect time for those wily Rooskies to attack!

Given that I'm a carpetbagger here, count me in with the "Make tracks" crowd. I can always buy beer and PopTarts and have a party somewhere else.

Aw, you'll get tired of that shit after a while. Besides, there ain't nothing like seeing a trash can sail by at seventy miles an hour! If you consume enough beer, you can make a swell game of it - much like a bull fight.
Family I know evacuated in anticipation of Hurricane Rita. They headed for San Antonio. The family started out from Cypress (deep northwest of Houston, about 80 miles from the Gulf). After twelve hours on the road they were about 30 miles closer to the Alamo City, having to contend with all the other (presumed) Yankees on the road.
Ended up riding out the hurricane in their car. At least they thought it was the hurricane, if you consider two hours of rain squalls a storm.

I'd never dream of taking the experience away from the natives. I'll bug out, thanks.

They certainly waited around longer than I plan to. My plan is more like riding out hurricanes in Minnesota.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 17:53:31 -0800, "Steve B"

Having driven in the South for almost 50 years, I have my list of things to do if I must be on the road in freezing rain/sleet/snow.
1. Put on the tire chains (I've had chains since the days of my 57 Chevy). 2. Leave early. 3. Know the alternate roads. 4. Slow down. 5. Leave lots more space between you and the car ahead.
I was caught in snow/freezing rain on my way through Mississippi some years ago and my only option was 4. I eventually caught up with all the cars that passed me - they were either in the median or in the ditch. I stopped occasionally to clear the windows and thaw the wiper blades (McDonald's coffee isn't great, but it's always hot). The trip took almost twice as long as usual but we arrived safely. As someone else has mentioned, all wheel drive doesn't help you steer or stop. This trip was in a front wheel drive Toyota Camry - probably not anyone's first choice for a bad weather vehicle.
Today I've been outside to measure the snow - 3.5 inches around midnight, measured a bit less this morning after being melted/weighed down by the sleet & freezing rain - either amount is less than other areas around Atlanta. Other than replacing my rain boots Sunday afternoon, everything we needed for several days of isolation was already at the house (at least I found the leak in the boots before the snow started ;-)
John
On Jan 10, 11:33am, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

ABS seems to help a bit with steering, and when you have a centre differential type of AWD, engine braking is helpful in corners.... assuming you have a feel for the car. One has to be pretty careless to lose control of an Impreza (specifically the automatic transmission) with a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's. Even so, If I were to leave my street full-bore and turn the wheel hard over while standing on the gas, I WILL end up on somebody's lawn. (Maybe even the same one..<G>)

My employer has already called tomorrow and my wife's has delayed opening until 11:00. Last year when this happened, like a fool, I showed up without calling the phonemail system first. Like last year, not as much as a drop of rain has fallen and it's 36F (up two degrees since noon).
Yeah, I saw the same loony mentality when I lived in NY (less so in VT). Don't these people have enough bread, beer, and batteries to last one day? At least they have some reason to worry here. They've never seen the stuff. ;-) One of the Montgomery "hawk show toasts" has the "Live in Fear Doppler Radar" for such events. He was warning of the coming calamity Friday during the evening drive.

One reason that southern weather is always more horrific is because CNN world headquarters is in Atlanta.
Same reason the New York weather was a world news event when they started having their normal winter storms a week or two ago.
RonB

True, true, true.

Sooo...., this is some kinda retribution, karma, punishment thing???