OT: Southern weather

Page 1 of 3
The threat of icy weather has already shutdown the south. I was in Tuscaloosa about 3:00pm and they were already stores closing up shop(even blue borg at 4:30),apparently this was to give the employees a chance to join the run on bread, milk and batteries. :)
basilisk

It always amazes me how the South is absolutely shut down by snow. But when you really get any measurable amount every twenty years or so, there's no preparation or contingencies for it, and no one knows what to do except for visiting damn Yankees. Then, if all goes well, it's thawed and gone in a couple of three days.
Steve

Even us "damn Yankees" know enough to stay off the highways when the rebels around here try to drive on ice. ;-) ...and they will. :-(
South is absolutely shut down by snow. But when

I am originally from Ohio, near the lake, and for my first 27 years, drove in snow all the time without worry.
I moved South, and also laughed at how everyone panics with a little snow. Then in about year three, I had a lesson presented to me that made me understand why it is as it is.
I had to stop on a little hill at an intersection, with a slope of a little more than 1/2" per foot rise. I was only barely able to get moving again.
In the South, winter weather often starts as freezing rain, changing to snow. That is nearly impossible to find any traction on that stuff when it is frozen on the road. They do not have salt or enough equipment to get it on all of the back roads quickly, so you have roads in neighborhoods that are nearly impassible.
So, the snow is different. It really is. Also, another factor around here is that the country roads have no guard rails protecting a 50 foot or more plunge, if you slide off a corner. The lawyer mentality keeps schools from sending out students in busses on those type of roads if they are slick..
--
Jim in NC

There are some clueless drivers that are fun to laugh at when it snows,
says...

It's funny how many northerners don't realize just how much of the ease with which they travel after a snowfall is the result of the sand trucks and not of the excellence of their driving skills.
When I was at Georgia Tech there was an ice storm, and my GF was stuck at work. I went to get her, got a block, said "screw this" went back to the apartment, and dug out my studded snow tires from when I went to OSU, put them on and went to pick her up.
I came to an intersection. A guy on the cross street creeps up to a stop sign at the top of a hill, tries to stop, can't, coasts through the intersection and on to the downhill side, and once he's going downhill the only way he's going to stop before he gets to the bottom is with rocket assist. Well, a minute later another guy did the same thing. And by the time the traffic cleared enough for me to go through the intersection there were IIRC seven cars piled up at the bottom of the hill. I walked down on the shoulder (no way I was going to put the car on that hill and get it creamed by the next guy who came down) and made sure nobody was hurt then went on, picked up the GF, and called the cops to go rescue the folks at the bottom of the hill (this was before cell phones).
Seriously, in the South if it snows and you don't have studs, the best thing to do is stay home.

When I lived in VT they didn't use *any* sand (it tends to freeze solid). When it gets really cold salt doesn't work, either. Packed snow is easy to drive on, though. Forget ice, no matter where you live.

...and they're banned in a lot of Northern states. I didn't like them because my car would skid all over on wet pavement.

An immovable object works.

Even if you do, stay home.

I have to wonder what kind of sand, salt and cold are you referring to? A number of times over the years, I've experienced weather in Toronto where the temperature has been -20F and that's before the wind chill was been factored in. As long as the streets aren't too mushy or clogged with snow, salt and sand have worked fine for the most part.
Upscale wrote:

Salt lowers the freezing point of water. In general it doesn't work well below 15 degrees F although heavy traffic helps. See:
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa120703a.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I've heard that information before although it doesn't change the basis of my comment since I've always believed its main value in winter time was as a boost for traction. Essentially, I'm asking what's different (or worse as was suggested) about winter and roads in this case in Vermont?
Upscale wrote:

All I know is what that salt does to an auto or use to do since I havent lived in an area that uses it anymore. In Colo they use to use cinder don't remember them using much salt. When living in NJ salt was the only thing used and I remember cars with rusted holes the size of basketballs. Living in Southern Ca. the sun keeps the roads clear.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Upscale wrote:

Probably the fact that even the City if Buffalo tries to emulate Toronto's snow clearing capabilities and quite often calls on Toronto for help.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Probably the fact that even the City if Buffalo tries to emulate Toronto's snow clearing capabilities and quite often calls on Toronto for help.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Toronto has a very large fleet and a well equipped snow clearing program and like ANY city with a budget for snow clearing, they balance their yearly monies allocation mainly on the yearly average snowfall rate from previous years. Sometimes, they get caught short, but not often.
And, as far as the military goes, several years ago, the mayor of Toronto, a boob named Mel Lastman, called the military in to help with snow removal. That was ONE time and hasn't been done since.
Nothing like a little bit of mis-information with the addition of some open ended information to mess up the flow of facts, eh Josepi?

Is Hoseppi out on a weekend pass again? Has he learned to post like a human yet?....I take that back... I see that he hasn't. <plonketyplonketyplonkplonkplonk.>... Didn't need to, I already had, but it feels nice to be immature sometimes.
Indeed, Lastman's request for military help was an isolated one, and he did it purely so he wouldn't have serious cost overruns on his removal budget. Not too stupid, if you ask me... I wonder how that worked out for him.
All the 16 years I lived in Toronto (Beaches. nice and close to my gig at RL Hearn Generating Station) I never had an issue with snow... the Toyota Landcruisers ( a '73 and a '76) helped only a couple of times.

Well, you're a little out of date. If I remember correctly, about a year ago, they took some type of public poll and officially named the area, "The Beach" ~ so public signs and stuff are all uniform. I've always called it the Beaches and will continue to do so. Aside from spending our money wherever they please, politicians have nothing better to do than run around and rename stuff (or sell it off like the Skydome). Screw rogers as far as I'm concerned. Monopolistic, greedy, anti-competitive outfits get as little of my money as I can orchestrate.

Micro breweries it is then <G>

Micro breweries it is then <G>
Speaking of such, I hope Molson's is being charge accordingly for their disruption along their planned route. http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110110/molson-beer-vat-convoy-halton-110110/20110110/?hub=TorontoNewHome
On 1/10/2011 7:51 PM, Upscale wrote:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110110/molson-beer-vat-convoy-halton-110110/20110110/?hub=TorontoNewHome
Six huge vats with a capacity of six million bottles each. Damn, that's a LOT of mediocre beer!
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Micro breweries it is then <G>
Home brew!
Steve
Since you confirmed what I posted I am glad you demonstrated the "shit-for brains" syndrome, eh Upscale?