OT - Sort of. Where is everyone?

Please don't flame. I'm just interested to see if anyone in my area is part of this group. Could be someone 5 houses up the road is one of you masters who could help me in 2 minuites and I'm going through wood like a termite trying to just learn the basics!

I am in Middletown, Ohio.

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike W.

Yooo Mike, just down the street from ya...... take a right and go 563 miles northeast, I'm the 3rd house from the corner...

Hyperspace is just a keyboard away - ask your questions and we'll see if we can't give you a site with some illustrations or graphics that will help explain things.

Bob S. (Syracuse, NY)

Reply to
Bob S.

HAHAH!

Im working on the apple pie right now! Be there in a... oh nevermind.

My problem is Norm-itis. I love the few things I have been able to do well... but when I try to make 'fine woodworking' its just crappy. Recently based on postings I've realized that I have a decent set of power tools, but I simply dont know how to use them for anything but rough work. I'm 30 years old so I'm not looking for hand holding. Just to see what the average (or above average) wood worker does first hand to do the things I want to do. I would have to start rec.woodworking.mike if I were gonna ask all my questions or I'd quickly get booted. For some odd reason I dont think many people would come to that group?!?!?!

The seminars around here are usually for things that I'm not interested in. Cincy and Dayton are within reach, but I don't really know where to go, what, or who to ask.

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike W.

Hi, South of you in Knoxville, TN.

Reply to
Tony

Mike W notes:

Check your local adult ed classes through the local board of ed. If they have woodworking seminars, attend one or 2 even if the actual projects aren't of great interest at the moment. They probably will be later, and you'll almost certainly make some wonderful contacts.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

And a little further South....Florida.

Reply to
Al Martin

Well...when you break the big problem down and find the solution or answer for one part - it usually helps solve a lot of the others. For instance, if you can't make a good rip cut without burning the wood, what's the problem?

  1. Tablesaw alignment
  2. Fence deflecting
  3. Wood not jointed flat nor an edge straightened
  4. Inconsistent feed rate
  5. Wrong type blade or dull blade
  6. All the above

The purpose of the wRECk is to provide mentoring, some bs now and again and all you ever wanted to know about woodworking but were afraid to ask. I certainly don't have all the answers - that's why I hang out here and learn too. So don't be bashful.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I'm rat cheer.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Now if you were into Shopsmith woodworking you'd be in luck. Their plant and store are in Dayton and they have numerous hands-on training sessions where you build projects from start to finish. The Shopsmith users group has a 3 day get together in Dayton every summer. The Shopsmith woodworking sessions would probably be very worthwhile even without a Shopsmith. You would just ignore the changeover portions of the class. Check out their web site at

Somewhere down the left side is a link to the class schedule.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I'm in Middletown too!!!!

Connecticut.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:53:41 GMT, "Mike W." wrote: Just to see

don't bet on it. we get a bunch of the same questions over and over. something new would be welcomed.

you may find that a lot of your questions have been asked and answered in the past. fortunately the past is only a mouse click away...

will get you to a searchable archive of rec.woodworking. have fun, and please come back. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I used to live in Enon, Ohio (worked in Dayton). Then moved to Downey, CA for 5 years. Now living in Oak Ridge, Tennessee surrounded by all kinds of hardwood trees!

Reply to
Phisherman

I'm a *little* closer.(LOL)

Nahmie Jamestown, NY

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

WV here. I live about 6 miles from the huge metropolis of Capon Bridge. Pop. around 300. Depends on whether or not Old Man Wilcox is taking the vets to the mall in Winchester, VA on that day (about 30 miles). Also if the women's aux is off to a bingo tournament population could suffer as low as 100!! LOL

Jim (in the sticks)

Reply to
James D Kountz

Which one? Mapquest shows three Middletowns.

Reply to
Mark

Abilene, TX, just down the road from NoTrees, TX. Well, we have a few trees here, mostly mesquite shrubs.

Reply to
mrdancer

On the water in New Bedford, MA.

Reply to
David Babcock

I'm just a few thousand feet "up" from you. Denver...

Reply to
mttt

In the 'Middle' of Cincinnati and Dayton.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike W.