OT: Somebody's got some 'splaning to do

Page 4 of 4

Yup. I lived in Montreal for 12 years and remember those 70 mph posted speeds.
On 4/12/11 10:58 AM, Upscale wrote:

been around 1987 if memory serves, course nobody here is likely to correct me on that. :-)
--
Froz...

110 kph is normal for twinned highways here in Sask and Alta. I think the Trans-Canada Hwy is 110 for long stretches also, but it's been a while since I've driven it in the prairies.
I *think* I remember 70 mph from my youth in Manitoba, but I could be wrong.

Here the posted limit is 100 kph on major highways, but if you try and drive less than 110 to 115 you get someone running up your ass, conditions apply. :-)
--
Froz...

A former colleague has a son-in-law who worked as a Mounti in Alberta. Word was they didn't pull anyone over on Hwy 2 between Calgary and Edmonton unless they were doing 140 or better. Too risky otherwise. This was about 10 years back, but I don't imagine it's changed...

No, you're not wrong. I remember a trip from Indianapolis to Seattle, via Calgary, that I took with my parents in 1975, less than a year after I started driving. We were limited to 55mph in the U.S., but parts of the Trans-Canada Highway were 70mph. I'm pretty sure that when I drove to Otttawa in 1980, via Niagara Falls and Toronto, that the highway speed limit was 70mph most of the way in Ontario, too, though still limited to 55 here in the States.
On 4/12/11 11:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Through Toronto, no way, in 1980, 401 had a 60 MPH or 100 KPH limit, I would remember that as I live here and drive the highways now. I do *not* remember them reducing the limit.
--
Froz...

During the last years that Nixon was in office, he brought the speed limit down from 70 to 55. So that all happened some where around 72~74. We were all going to save so much gas by doing this that it was beyond our realms of imagination.
Leon wrote:

then, there's this:
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/08/texas-speed-limit-may-reach-85-mph /

A few years ago, coming back to Indy from Huntsville AL, it seemed like the de facto speed limit on I-65 in Tennessee was already 85mph -- I know that going 80 in the left lane, there were pissed-off drivers behind me who thought I wasn't going fast enough...
Doug Miller wrote:

It's like that for a stretch when you go from I-69 onto I-94 (east) in Michigan. It's sort of exhilarating.
Bill

No, indeed, not through Toronto. But then, I didn't say that. I said "most of the way in Ontario".

I think the road between Toronto and Ottawa had a 70mph limit back then. Of course, I could be wrong -- it's been a few years, after all...
On 4/13/11 8:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Still doubting it. PPOSTFU.

There is no single multi-lane road from Toronto to Ottawa, if you are talking highway #7, forget about it, single lane in many spots, there is no way that ever had that limit. Totally unsafe at that speed as it goes through *many* small towns.
--
Froz...

Yeah, Burma is no longer Burma.

1/3 foot = 4 inches. 1/3 meter = stack overflow.