OT: Somebody's got some 'splaning to do

Page 2 of 4

AKA "When in Rome...."

When in Rome, so you turned around and started mopping the floor with your...? You Dutch folks are strange. <g>
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Google "Dutch Inventions and Discoveries"
You need an edumukation.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:27:26 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Strange needn't be unimaginative, y'know.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

In the middle of the project I began racking my brain trying to remember whether or not I'd buttoned the hip pocket I kept my wallet in. I had, but after that experience I started carrying left front.

My thyoughts Zackly at the time!

It's amazing how rapidly it stops by its ownself when a woman is whispering "miss you! miss you!" in yer ear ...

Interesting site, thanks.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Why? We speak American, a derivative of English.

Because the airplane was an American invention.

Because the airplane was an American invention.
*******************
That all depends on whether you are talking self ( air lifted ) powered, man powered, steam engine powered, or internal combustion engine powered Also, depends on the internal combustion engine, whether it was an officially recognised attempt The Wright brothers first flight, was not witnessed

That's debatable.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.nett says...

So who outside the US made a documented flight before the Wrights?
On 04/12/2011 09:33 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Icarus?

Powered flight?
On Apr 13, 8:14pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yup, bullshit-powered flight.

Wright brothers made the first manned, powered, controlled flight. Take out any of "manned, powered, controlled" and there were precedents.

Montgolfier
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

..
They were in fact the first humans to fly.
The principle of the Wright Brothers flight was already documented by Daniel Bernoulli (Born 8 February 1700 Groningen, Netherlands). All the Wright Brothers did was prove him right... he handed them a blue- print in how to fly..so what did they invent?

Bernouli had long been proven right. The Wrights were just the first ones to:
- do the engineering needed to design the wings, - figure out how to *control* the process (wing warping was the major invention) - and most importantly, get a power plant with sufficient power to weight ratio
On Apr 14, 8:09pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

om...
They did a wonderful job applying someone else's original thought. The light bulb was a true invention. An original thought developed into a world-changing idea. Rockets have been old hat for centuries, all NASA did was develop the concept to the n-th degree. The space program was filled with inventions which made all that possible, from computers to material sciences, but the root concept was at least a thousand years old, if not more. That cannot be said about the lightbulb. Velcro was a rip-off from a thistle....no pun intended.

Yes, that's why I said "engineering", not "science".

No, that was hard-knocks engineering. No theory at all; technicians' work. Everyone know how to make a light bulb. No one knew how to make a practical bulb. The process was simply trial an error.

Sure. Goddard did the first liquid-fueled rocket, some thousand years after the first solid-fueled rocket.

The space program provided billions of bucks and more importantly a challenge; a reason to invent, as it were.

By that logic, there are no inventions.