OT: Somebody's got some 'splaning to do

Page 1 of 4
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Metric.jpg

Guess some US spy agency infiltrated the Burmese office of weights and measures.

Same thing happened in Liberia then?

You would think that the green countries would have learned mo better by now. ;~)

I knew no good would come of the Greenies.
Robatoy wrote:

We use it--just not unless we have to. Amazing how "international" the English language became with a little time...
'Course, with most of the manufacturers "somewhere else", we may lose this "battle"...
Bill

Maybe the Americans will learn to use the English language one day ??
On 4/12/2011 12:45 AM, George W Frost wrote:

Like saying loo when we really mean toilet?

Loo? Toilet? Bathroom? or even the OZ Dunny
Nah, it is just a shithouse subject.

Comes from the French "gardez le eau!", when chucking the contents of the chamber pot out the window.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
On 4/12/2011 10:37 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

http://kottke.org/05/02/loo-etymology
But it remains funny to say "Maybe the Americans will learn to use the English language one day" when so much of the English language derives from French, Spanish, German, etc.

It's time for this obligatory story. I moved to the US in 1969. Arriving at JFK Airport, I felt a need. However, I couldn't find a toilet or WC (the European designations I was used to), only restrooms - but I didn't have a need to rest!! Upoon inquiry, my vocabulary was expanded ...
--
Best regards
Han

<g> Maybe you should have asked for the "stand and shake it" room? -- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Hey, I was young with good but limited knowledge of English, and certainly didn't know such idiom. I'm just a little better in that regard now ...
--
Best regards
Han

Probably only funny to a Dutchman.
An uncle of mine (married to one of my dad's six sisters) wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He had one helluva time with English after he emigrated to Canada in 1948. Years later, when taken along with his grand kids to the zoo in Detroit, he pointed out a large pachyderm to one of the kids and said: "Look! An 'oil-phant'. My cousin just lost it... she still can't tell the story without coming apart.

Yep.
This is standard lingo in our family (now extended to include moe or less native Americans). On New Year's Eve, my daughter cooks traditional Dutch Oilballs. . . . . . . . . . . . . Oliebollen are a traditional Dutch delicacy made by deep-frying a yeast dough that's somewhat like this: <http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/oliebollen-new-year-s-eve - doughnuts/>
Yummy, right, Rob?
--
Best regards
Han

Also, the slang changes at such fast rates, who can keep up?
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Ahhh, the joys of foreign toilets. First visit to Paris and I'm in the Gare du Nord and feel an urgent need to sit down. No problem finding the appropriate place, but none of the stalls had a "toilet bowl" just a hole in the floor. After much discussion I was assured that this was normal ....
The bidet in my hotel room was also a source of some confusion.
Then there was the woman mopping the men's room asking me to lift my feet as I stood at the urinal ...
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:45:36 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Luckily, I've never seen those, just heard about 'em.

Who ever thought up a toilet which _pisses_back_?

Turn around, act surprised, and ask "What?" without stopping the flow.
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Larry, look this up up via a translation page (it's Dutch) "'s Lands wijs, 's lands eer"
--
Best regards
Han