OT: Social Security Admin or scam?

Page 5 of 5

Norman D. Crow wrote:

Switzerland has almost no 'standing army'. But as you say, virtually all adult males are part of their reserve forces.
Of course Switzerland has a distinct geographical advantage IRT enforcing their neutrality.
BTW, there are three official languages in Switzerland...
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote in

Yes there are three official languages in switzerland and several more that are not official (Romanche for one). Most swiss are conversant in all their languages. I trained with their citizen army one time ago. You airborn pukes, think you can run? Think again. Hank

In many respects you are correct. In Switzerland, every male (18 to 65) is part of the armed forces. They take their weapons and equipment home with them.That doesn't insure their neutrality. What insures their neutrality is their not aligning with other countries, their banking system and why would any other country want to invade them. The Germans loved them. The Jews on the other hand (the ones who survived) are not so happy with the Swiss (bankers not the farmers).
Sheesh, I said I wouldn't do this again. Hank

Are you writing in English? The words are familiar, but what you're saying is a mystery.
There are many ways to serve, none of which involve demanding that you be served.
"George" wrote in message

Good first step there, George, recognizing your problem ... reading comprehension.

The "mystery" is where/how the hell you came up with "demanding to be served" as an issue ... but it's a notable fact that those who give the most, generally "demand" the least.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

I retired from SS about five years, ago.
We had procedures to call beneficiaries directly, but they were few and always about specific claims.
We did mail out questionnaires from time to time, but they were always sent on official letterhead paper, in officially franked envelopes.
The administration maintains a list of certified translators, (especially for foreign documents like birth certificates and marriage licenses), but they have to be officially tested by the Administration before they can be certified as translators, and it's an expensive and time consuming process.
I have personally talked on the phone to Administration employees(!) in which I required a translator just to understand them. (South Texas District Offices). Luckily, the guy at the next desk was of Latin extraction, and I'd just hand the phone to him and let him chatter away in Spanish, and then he'd translate to English. (Romero also was kind enough to demonstrate to me that I would never be a chess master, since he regularly kicked my butt in our matches)
Far northeastern accents, were sometimes difficult, too, especially Maine, but we could usually manage.
Keep in mind the quality of telephone equipment, which could easily make a bad language situation, almost impossible.
Consider the situation where the beneficiary calls into the Administration with a question. (Those infamous 800 number help lines.) A good many times, not only does the answering employee not understand the language, a fair amount of time, the employee doesn't even know which language is being spoken. They might guess at Spanish, French or German, just from the sound, but how about Polish, Rumanian, or Portuguese? Not to mention Bantu, Farsi or Vietnamese.
Newt Gingrich is campaigning that all people wishing to be US citizens should be required to take a comprehensive history test, administered completely and solely in English. Among other things. I happen to agree.
While I do not want to adopt an official language, (with all the silly bureaucracy that the French have, to keep foreign words out of the French language), I see no problem with declaring standard English as the official language of choice, and abandoning all the special considerations that are in place, today.
James.... I've been to Mexico. I liked the people. I liked the food. I can even appreciate many elements of the culture (love of family, honesty, fidelity, honor). But I don't want to live in Mexico.