OT - Social Security

Page 4 of 8
"todd" wrote in message

LOL ... and that from someone whose retorts seem to begin with "I guess ..."?
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

It's a figure of speech. You want me to come right out and state it? Anyone who let a fund decline by 70% either a) didn't know what they were doing or b) were willing to ride it out. For crying out loud, was it all in QQQ? I wasn't willing to ride it out, which is why I got out of the market at Dow 11,000 and back in at Dow 7800. Doesn't make me a financial genius...I just took advice that was available to anyone else who wanted to listen.
todd
"todd" wrote in message

For an absolute fact, Todd, you simply have not been thinking clearly. You immediately, and wrongly, assumed that I had personal control over an investment brought up to illustrate a point, and your "guesses" and assumptions since have had you ignorantly barking up the wrong tree ... all of which nicely proves my original point
That being the absolute folly of privatizing SS for a dumbed down society in a stock market where the "rules" are ignored by a cult of greed and subjected to the bureaucratic bungling of the government vis--vis regulatory oversight.
Many of you would do well to go talk, and more importantly, listen, to someone who lived through a little period of our history called "the Great Depression".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. I've never said you were in personal control of the investment. In fact, based on your earlier statement, I inferred that it was being managed by someone else. My point, which still stands, is that whoever let an investment (I infer we're talking about money invested in the stock market, since that is how this part of the thread started)decline 70% in value wasn't doing a professional job. And heck, while we're talking about it, this 70% decline is based on what? The value in the 1st quarter of 2001? If so, the high point would be based on a number that was driven up on the same greed you're lambasting now. Was it OK as long as it was making money for you?
But now you've got me confused. If the government isn't qualified to provide oversight to the stock market, what makes you think they're qualified to manage the retirement funds of the citizenry?
You can have the last word on the topic. I've got a table to put together.
todd
"todd" wrote in message

... and who said they were?

Good luck on the table ... if I don't get these tomato plants in the ground my SS ain't gonna stretch.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

On a kindler, gentler note...I'll post a pic when the table is complete. I've been taking a class here in Chicago on hand tools. The instructors did the cutting of the legs and aprons to size, but we chopped all 16 mortises, cut all of the tenons, and skimmed the pieces with a smoothing plane. I can see where one can get carried away using a plane. You make a really nice, long, thin cut and that just makes you want to make another and another.
todd
"todd" wrote in message

You guys did the hard part. Your plane, or the schools? Not only the feel and sound, but the smell of fresh plane shavings .. almost like Napalm in the morning. :)
I'd be interested in seeing the final product ... let us know when you got it done.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

The plane was mine. I purchased it for the class. It's an ECE Primus Reform Smooth Plane #711. It has a lignum vitae sole and a fruitwood body. I looked hard at Steve Knight's planes, but being a plane dummy, I thought I'd have better luck adjusting the ECE. I haven't used a plane since junior high and have never chopped mortises or cut tenons, which is the main reason I took the class. I have all the main power tools at home, and chopping all those mortises makes me appreciate my mortising machine a bunch. Once I really got going, I could cut a pretty good mortise in about 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure I could have done them all in an hour on my mortiser. And cutting all the cheeks of the tenons wasn't exactly child's play. After a few, I was ready to call the bullpen and have them send in a lefty.
todd
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:26:01 -0600, todd wrote:

Just did the tenons for a dining table, and the RAS does make cutting the shoulders and cheeks childs play. You make the shoulder cuts first using a stop block.Rotate the bevel to 0 degrees (horizontal and place the work on an aux table with fence aligned with the cutting depth of the blade. raise the top edge of the blade to exactly the shoulder depth above the aux table. Align the shoulder cut just shy of the aux table left edge and pull the saw through. The waste falls off to the main table. I have an eight foot table on each side of the RAS, so tenons on any size stock are no problem. All I had to do was some very slight paring in the individual mortices for a perfect snug but not tight fit.
--
-Doug

Not to worry. This non-expert is comfortably retired though he's unqualified to quote standard assumptions.
Ignorance is an acute condition cured by knowledge. Stupidity is chronic, because it rejects the efficacy of knowledge.

"George" wrote in message

George, once again your pompous BS, as above, is exceeded only by your incorrect assumptions.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

A discussion is an exchange of knowledge, as opposed to an argument, which is an exchange of ignorance.
--

FF

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message

Despite the fact that quaint little homily has been around longer than I can remember, and really should be in quotes, it ain't necessarily the whole enchilada.
When a party, in complete and TOTAL ignorance of a situation, continues to spout assumptions based on that ignorance, pointing out said ignorance is not necessarily an "argument".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04
Swingman wrote:

I can, however, be as useful as trying to teach a pig to sing. ;-) Not only are you wasting your time, the pig becomes annoyed...
-- Mark
"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

LOL ... you got that right! ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

"Kevin" wrote in message

Pick your own definition ... I've been putting the tern in quotes because it was NOT a term I used in my original statement.
That said, what would it take for me to consider myself "wealthy"? How about being able to live the lifestyle I am accustomed to, without having to work ... that would be pretty damn close to my sense of being "wealthy", or close enough.
You can be "rich" in a lot of things ... right now I wish we weren't so damn rich in rain so I could spray some shellac!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Working Family = any one making minimum wage. Wealthy = any one making MORE than minimum wage.
That's the million dollar question!
I say flat tax and don't worry about defining wealthy.
A friend of ours thinks he's NOT wealthy at $55k. His idea of broke (poor) is that he can't make the payment on his Escalade AND buy a $250k house AND go clubbing every weekend. We believe his perception of wealthy is skewed.
We (a family of four) think the same $55 we made last year is wealthy. And evidently the government does too.
I grew up in a farm house with no glass in the windows up stairs and a mentally disturbed chicken running around the yard. Now, I have the joy of being able to buy groceries at will. Truly. I can't buy groceries without thinking about a time when my free lunch at school was my nutrition for the day. It took my wife 3 years to get me to buy chips and cookies from time to time. I refused to. It was meats and veggies. I still don't eat half the meals I cook, from habit.
It nice to point out from time to time that we have the wealthiest "poor" people in the world.
I'd argued with a neighbor that said "Because of Bush, she couldn't afford to buy her child clothes." I pointed out that evidently clothes we're the worry when she got that fancy Weave, purchased that dime bag and put those $500 rims on her Sequoia (Sp?). Her response was "Well my boyfriend bought those". To which my response was "Sell them and buy clothes!". The rims are still on the suv 6 months later.
It's all in perception.
Now if we're talking stinking ass rich, that's a different story. BUT, I still think a flat tax is the only fair tax. The tax system as it stands now punishes achievement and gives a false appearance of who is wealthy and who is not.

says...

That's simple: "wealthy" is someone who has more than you do (when the term is being uttered by a politician to "regular folks"). The "rich" are those who make more than you do. Of course this means that anybody who makes more than you do, or has more than you do should be taxed heavily in order to make sure that they eventually are equal to you -- regardless of how hard they have worked. Of course this doesn't apply to the person on the podium who more than likely makes their definition of "rich" (often now referred to as someone making more than $100k per year) look like the poor house. Thus you have one candidate who made money the old fashioned way (he married it) and another who is a multi-hundred millionaire by nature of sueing for the "oppressed" and keeping 60% of their winnings telling those who make more than $100k how they should suck it up and "pay their fair share".