OT - Social Security

Are you kidding us or has someone kidded you? The Social Security "Surplus" has ALWAYS been "invested" in US Treasury bonds. That is not a bit different than your right pocket writing an IOU to your left pocket and you thinking you are rich because your left pocket is "owed" so much money.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

================== AMEN AMEN...AH... AMEN..... !

I retired the day I turned 55 and am now 61...and still too young to collect SS... but like you I still have not counted on SS at all.... IF I live a few more years Then that money (SS) will be completely extra... joking with my adult boys that I just may go out and buy a new Corevette and make the payments witrh my SS income (have not financed a car in 30 years BUT it is tempting to let SS pay for a new one for me...

80 percent of my Income is from a 401K that I rolled over to an Ira so that I could start withdrawing at 55... and if I were younger I would be lookijg at starting a Roth Ira...to avoid the taxes when I started withdrawing... as it is .the taxes I have to pay is a bitch... lol

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Whoa, Plumy. No reason to get personal. We're simply discussing opinions.

I was public schooled, hence the erroneous grammar. Sorry to offend you. Feel free to correct at will.

And

Lower taxes are part of a republican ideology. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Reply to
Bill

It is higher. My sister, a high school teacher, let me know that it's closer to $8000 per pupil for county in which she teaches. She is also a member of the NEA and is thankful for "No Child Left Behind". She began teaching before it was passed by Congress and President Bush. She is also partly responsible for us deciding to homeschool our daughters. She also shot down the MYTH that homeschooled children lack in social skills. They certainly do have better social skills than the average child of the same age. Due mainly to the fact that they are exposed to adults and children with a more disciplined form social behavior. I've seen her calm down two girls (9 and

11) that we're verbally fighting and had them swinging and singing together in a matter of seconds. She will also ask friends that are misbehaving to leave!

Reply to
Bill

It sure worked for the people of Afghanistan and Iraq. Their governments never restricted the right to bear arms, unlike the highly repressive British and Japanese.

Reply to
Norm De Plume

Hehehehehe! Ding!, goes the reality bell...

Reply to
Noons

No, it shouldn't. Recast it as "She is writing cursive better than I do" and you will see why.

Doug Miller

What in the hell are you talking about? Both Iraq and Afghaniatan strictly regulated the bearing of arms. Try being an armed Kurd in Saddam's Baghdad. They allowed their partisans to own weapons and in fact armed them - everyone else -- I don't think so. In Afghanistan the Taliban decided who could be armed and was merciless to those violating their edicts. There is a difference between governments that provide weapons to their partisans and deny them to their critics and the free country Mr. Lee was talking about (too bad that country has not existed for a looooong time).

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Right. I'm sure John Kerry is really counting on his retirement money. Most of these politicians are wealthy already. Putting them on SS isn't going to change anything.

todd

Reply to
todd

Are you sayun I ain't as dumm as I thawt I wuz?

That hole I and me thang always confuzed me juz like who and whoom!

Just kidding! :-)

Me do that sometimes!

Reply to
Bill

You're wrong. "Most" politicians aren't "wealthy"... until they get into Congress.

Reply to
Swingman

Bzzzzt. The correct form in this context is "than I". You can figure this out by inserting what is implied. "She's 6 years old, is writing cursive better than I (write cursive)."

Mr. Language Person

Reply to
todd

There are 40 of 100 US Senators who are Millionaires. Just for grins:

Of the top 5 wealthiest Senators, how Many are Ds and how many are Rs?

Answer: D's - 5 R's - 0

Of the top 10 wealthiest Senators, , how Many are Ds and how many are Rs?

Answer: D's - 8 R's - 2

The richest is John Kerry at $163,626,399.

I assume we are to believe that they are really looking out for the "Working families" of Americas, who ever they are.

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

I didn't say they were wealthy before getting into Congress (although I'd like to see the numbers). But they're wealthy before leaving to take a retirement income. The point is, it isn't as if they leave Congress and now have to rely soley on their retirement income.

todd

Reply to
todd

...you guys hash it out.....

I've got 8 curved drawer fronts (bubinga/maple) that need over 200 handcut dovetails....

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

Nope, the "point" is that, while they pay into SS and Federal Employees Retirement System, they don't play by the same rules:

As of 1999, the average SS retiree received $804 per month, or $9,648 annually after retiring at age 65.

From the Congressional Research Service (CRS) Report for Congress on the Retirement Benefits for Members of Congress (updated September, 2002). ?As of October 1, 2000, 409 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service. Of this number, 356 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $52,464. Fifty-three Members had retired either with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $46,932 in 2000.?

An example was given for a Rep. or Senator retiring after Dec., 2002, with

26 years of service (7 under CSRS, 19 under FERS). With an ending ?high-3? salary of $138,233, their annual pension would be $72,442 per year.
Reply to
Swingman

There's 535 members of congress ...26% are millionaires. While that is certainly a disproportionate percentage compared to the general population, it is not "most", as has been stated as fact.

Reply to
Swingman

Al Reid states:

Is that Kerry's money or his wife's? As for the D vs. R bit, it may well be that wealthy Republicans are too busy racking up more.

Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

Charlie Self

... wealth in the private sector, as opposed to going to the senate filthy rich with a D behind their name and claiming to be for the common working man?

Reply to
Al Reid

Better check again. What's currently in the SS Trust Fund (and every othe of the 140 or trust funds) isn't Treasury Bonds at all, rather plain old IOUs with non marketable value and no obligation to repay.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn