OT - Social Security

Page 2 of 8
Charlie Self wrote:

Harumphf!! ( said in agreement. )
Kerry's wife is worth a lot more than that.

be
right in

Bill writes:

Really? I keep hearing great figures for her wealth, but so far I've seen no reliable stats on it.
I don't doubt she's got a lot of money, but "worth a lot more than that" is one helluva long ways from being a precise figure.
And I'd like to know where the Kerry $163,626,399 figure came from. That is so precise it has to be bullshit.
Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton

It came from John Kerry's Financial Disclosure Form that was either prepared by or on behalf of John Kerry. Which means, that it is probably unserstated.

Come on, Folks.
You know the only real way to 'fix' Social Security is to ... eliminate .... those people receiving Social Security.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
"Mark"

Green crackers. I smell green crackers !
Soylent Green?
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

I thought they were green cookies.
She inherited $500 when Heinz died.

no
is one

is so

right in

Bill writes:

Well, that's precise enough, but you're a few hundred years late if you think 500 bucks is a lot of money.
Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton
LOL! $500 Million.

seen
that"
think
right in

BTW, to me....$500 IS a lot of money. Wish I had your paycheck.

seen
that"
think
right in

Bill writes:

If you really want to trade, keep in mind that I lost my job a year ago.
Charlie Self "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." William J. Clinton
That's fine, too. I haven't had a paycheck in 5 years. I'm Mr. Mom.

right in

I didn't say they were wealthy before getting into Congress (although I'd like to see the numbers). But they're wealthy before leaving to take a retirement income. The point is, it isn't as if they leave Congress and now have to rely soley on their retirement income.
todd
"todd" wrote in message

now
Nope, the "point" is that, while they pay into SS and Federal Employees Retirement System, they don't play by the same rules:
As of 1999, the average SS retiree received $804 per month, or $9,648 annually after retiring at age 65.
From the Congressional Research Service (CRS) Report for Congress on the Retirement Benefits for Members of Congress (updated September, 2002). As of October 1, 2000, 409 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service. Of this number, 356 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $52,464. Fifty-three Members had retired either with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $46,932 in 2000.
An example was given for a Rep. or Senator retiring after Dec., 2002, with 26 years of service (7 under CSRS, 19 under FERS). With an ending high-3 salary of $138,233, their annual pension would be $72,442 per year.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

I'd
annual
Well, you're free to make whatever point you want. The assertion that I was responding to was that if we just got Congress folks off of their pension and strictly onto SS, everything would be fine. My point was that most of these guys have a net worth (at least by the time they leave) such that what they receive from their pension is just a cherry on top. Putting them on SS isn't going to cramp their lifestyle.
todd
"todd" wrote in message

was
No one said that things would be "fine" ... the assertion was that if the congress critters had to live by the same rules the rest of us do, that the much needed "fix" to SS would be more forthcoming.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

pension
the
Then I guess you're missing the point. Most of the congress types will end up not having to count on their retirement plan or SS to be a major source of retirement income because it will represent a small portion of their net worth. So "making them play by our rules" isn't going to change anything. There's only one thing they respond to, and that's getting re-elected. Make them think they won't get re-elected if they don't modify SS, and then it will change. Absent that, I have a deal to make with the gubmint. I'm 36 years old and have been paying (along with my employers), SS taxes for roughly 20 years now. OK, gubmint, you keep all of that money and just let me off this merry-go-round. Let me keep my 7.65% or whatever the percentage is that comes (directly) out of my paycheck each month. I'll add that to my other investments and you'll never hear from me again.
todd
"todd" wrote in message

Welp, you guess wrong ... you missed the first point, and haven't been anywhere near it yet.

net
You can't back that contention up with figures. "Most" of the 535 in congress aren't "wealthy" and will gladly receive their pensions ... a much better deal than you will get with SS..

Make
We been doing it your way for forty years ... hasn't worked yet. Make them eat their own dog food and the menu will change.

Until you show up at the emergency room without the means to pay because your "investments" didn't pan out, then my property tax dollars will have to pay the bill.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04