OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

I researched this problem when we were living with a generator.. Most places suggested a Honda 5000 and optional control panel.. a lot of bucks, but a sweet unit..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:51:38 -0800, mac davis

Hi Mac,
Am I correct that the unit you mention is not automatic? That is, it would not start on its own in the event of an outage.
Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth wrote:

I think your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get a 7KW Guardian or the like.
You can get one of those for about $2200 and shipping and installation. The lowest I can find a UL approved automatic transfer switch switch and an electric-start portable for is aroune $1500 and then you're going to have to rig a fuel supply and whatnot and by the time you're done you'll likely be back up to that $2200.
The killers are the need for electric start so the thing can start automatically and for a UL approved transfer switch. You just don't find electric start on very small generators--in the low capacities they're made to be portable and adding electric start adds weight that reduces portability.
--John

I found it kind of interesting that our cheap ($500) 5.5 Coleman generator has a casting on it for an optional starter...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

But what does it end up costing once you've gotten the starter?
--John

We didn't do it, but the friend that went to the states for the generator was figuring about $100 for the starter, battery and battery holder.. Another $10 for 50' of speaker wire and a door bell button for the "remote start".. ;-]
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Which works if you don't need _automatic_ start.
--John

nope, it doesn't... I was just answering your question.. Of course, it may very well work with a control panel like the Honda option..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Close, but not that easy! You would need a starter solenoid also. Then you will need something to activate the manual choke, a couple more wires and a small 12 volt solenoid. Plus a remote shut down of some sort, probably more wires and a relay to short or break the ignition power. Before you know it you will have a couple hundred dollars into a cobbled up control system. Greg

good point... we didn't pursue it, as we have more faith in the Mexican power company than he does... His price did include the starter solenoid and kill switch, but I never thought about the choke..
They are impressive... During the Baja 1000 a few weeks ago, a chopper flew into the power lines between Ensenada and San Felipe, killing the crew and blacking out a large chunk of Baja California.. We got power back within 6 hours, at about 11pm..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 07:53:15 -0800, mac davis

Hi Mac,
That is useful information, but as you would agree, the capacity for a "remote start" is not the same as the capacity for an "automatic start" (that is, a generator that would start on its own in the event of an outage.)
All the best,
--
Kenneth

For sure.. I was just answering someone's question about my cheapie generator having a starter housing on it..
As a matter of fact, I'm glad that we kept the generator mobile, as a friend is borrowing right now until THEY get electricity..lol We were pretty lucky.. we got power within 3 months of moving into the house.. some folks have been waiting for a year or more..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Keep in mind that engine casting is built for may different applications, some require electric start. Greg

The generator doesn't, that's why they said to buy the optional control panel..
A neighbor here has one and the control panel is hard wired into his breaker panel.. power goes off, the generator fires up.. He also plugs an automotive trickle charger into the generator to charge the started battery whenever it's running..