OT: Smackin' the Garage Door with the car!

Page 2 of 2

"No problemo" with that one. If the sign is down (the door has to be closed for that) where it obscured her vision, she *already* drove through the door. What's to worry about the other side of the garage?
Hey! there's _another_ possibility for the sign -- an Alfred E. Neumann grin.

D'OH!!! Well, because fixing two walls is harder than fixing one wall, silly! (Walks away with a valley girl look of dismay at how some people just don't seem to get it...)
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

be idiot-proof enought to stop you. (except maybe new headlights or glasses.)
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:30:44 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Not to mock your pain here, but who starts a car without opening the garage door first?
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ A wheelbarrow! Why didn't you say we had a wheelbarrow; you should have included that in our list of assets! Westley -- Princess Bride +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:39:39 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita

"Female Logic" 'Nuff said?
Pat, look for an automotive radar or ultrasonic backup alarm system. <http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2009643/showCustom-0/p-2009643/N-111+600000492/c-10101
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
I find the door a great way to check brakelights prior to opening it.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:39:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Me. When I lose the will to live. I hear CO isn't too bad of a way to go out...

Whatinthehell is the car doing in the garage anyhow? That's where all the power tools go! Cars are waterproof.
Of course, when SWMBO hoses off the roll-up garage door, about 5 minutes before I open it, the cabinet saw gets a bath. It needed cleaning anyway. The door AND the cabinet saw.
My condolences regards the door.
Patriarch

I was teaching the oldest son to drive a manual transmission a dozen years ago, stopping and starting on the street to get used to the clutch. He had it mastered good enough to call it a successful training opportunity, so I told him to park the truck in front of the garage, in my normal parking spot... I hope you see the problem I didn't see. He idled the truck down the incline of the drive toward the desired parking spot, I guess we both thought it not under power till that loud noise. The V8 engine refused to stall and the rear tires skipped on the pavement a few times, sort of like a jack hammer. He creamed the brick veneer wall next to the door as well as pushing the door, framing lumber and track in about 6 inches. I pulled out the pushed in parts, and did a little tuck-pointing. The only way to keep him from doing it again was to ban him from the driveway. He parked on the street through college and till he was into his mid twenties and still hesitates when turning in...
Jack
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:30:44 GMT, "patrick conroy"

I think you may be onto something, if you're looking for a good idea... I know I've seen plenty of steel shop garage doors maimed by the tops of forklifts to make such a product useful... (No, they were not maimed by me- I just always seem to be working near the loading dock when it happens!)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
patrick conroy wrote:

There is a very simple NO-TECH solution that I have been utilizing for many years. It also has the advantage of being a safety feature in case of an emergency. I don't drive front end into the garage when I come home. I BACK IN to the garage (carefully.) If there is ever some catastrophe like a fire in the house, I want to be on my way quickly without looking into mirrors in a darkened smoke filled chamber. Each time that I depart the garage, I am looking straight ahead in the direction that I want to go.
Godzilla
If his wife is anything like mine, backing in is not a good idea. Even with the door open, the sides and back of the garage are in danger.

You think that some broad that bashes into a garage door is a good enough driver to back in? C'mon!

A fire in the house and you're worried about getting the car out of the garage?
Brian Elfert

Seems reasonable to me...no reason to have a bigger loss than necessary.
patrick conroy wrote:

Do a Google search for "automobile proximity sensor". It's an add on device that sounds a warning if you're about to back into something.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Well, if you have any relatives or kids you don't like, you could tie them in front of the door. They really squeal when hit.
Oversized whoopi cushion?

A lot depends on how much clearance you have between the garage door and car bumper when parked 'normally', And whether or not anybody _walks_ in that space -- assuming there is that kind of space.
There are not-terribly-expensive "high-tech" goodies that will help. they're designed to 'alert' if there's something _low_ behind you that you can't see. e.g. the kid left the tricycle parked in the drive.
Unfortunately, they do tend to go off if you're parallel parking in tight quarters, too,
Me, I'd be tempted to rig a photo-cell 'doorbell' trigger, across the garage, at some 'reasonable' distance away from the door opening. connected to a *LOUD* klaxon, if that light-beam is broken _and_ the door is still down.
You could do something similar with a pressure sensor on the garage floor. (like the old service station 'dinger' air-hose.) this would be less prone to false-alarms.
Then, there is the *extreme* solution. Learn to _back_ the cars into the garage. It's _really_hard_ to hit the door that way. <grin>