OT: Smackin' the Garage Door with the car!

Page 1 of 2

Well the wife hit the door pretty good tonight. I think I can bend it back, but geeze... [ Truth be told, I whacked it myself *lightly* about a year ago, but let's keep that private, ok? ]
Anywho's -- is there some sort of a bumper or low-cost crush thingy that would make a racket as you back into it with the door down?
Seems to me there's a market in there somewhere. Surely the worlds got enuff idiots, like me, to warrant a solution!

back,
Posted a picture for you in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

You could replace the rear view mirror with one since she does not look into it ;)
How about hanging something on the track that would be visible right in front of the windshield with the door down and retract as it goes up? Maybe a pulley and rope deal to move it.
wrote in message

that
into
Maybe
Too low tech. I'm thinking maybe an interlock between the opener rail and the ignition switch in the car. A simple solid state relay (on its own 220V, 30A circuit ((4 wire, just in case you might want to do "something" in the future)) of course, with PVC conduit and ground braid wrapped around it) in series with the ignition such that the car will not turn over until the door is opened. Use Bluetooth technology to eliminate the nasty tanble of wires from the door opener to the car. Of course, since it's a "power-anything" the owner should unplug it and shut off the circuit breaker before leaving the garage and heading into the house at night - just to be safe.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

My neighbor put something similar on his ugly new Chevy pickup truck (the Tupperware version.) An electronic female voice tells him whenever there is anything within 8 ft or so, calling out the distance. More than $25, though harder to ignore.
Patriarch

Ooooooooooooooo! Nerd woody approach. Coooooooooooooooooooooool! :)

Neat idea - appeals to my Rube Goldberg side of the brain.

The same idea just hit me.
And it's really, *really* trivial to implement.
pulley on the wall above the top of the garage door. high enough to be above the door when the door is open.
2nd pulley on the ceiling about at mid-hood point of car, when parked.
Sign hung from a couple of pieces of rope, from ceiling, at eye-level of driver in car.
second piece of rope, running from top of garage door, through above- door pulley, to ceiling pulley, and down.
To calibrate, open garage door. pull 2nd rope taught, and with sign at about ceiling level, tie rope off to sign.
As garage door closes, sign descends. Until it reaches level that the fixed ropes limit it to. After that, the garage-door rope just goes slack.
Note: wire-core *clothes-line* is an _ideal_, inexpensive, material for this kind of construction. Although, with a cardboard sign, you could probably get by with something about the quality of binder twine.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in

be
for
And so what message goes on the sign, that doesn't result in a frosty evening, or a call to the attorney? ;-)
"Hey, Dummy! Open the Door!" ?

Maybe we should run a contest! <grin>
I could see: "Beware of Door!" "Let the sunshine in!" "Have you hugged your rear-view mirror today?" "Push the button, Max." "Psssst. there's something behind you." "Thimk!" "What have you forgotten today?" "Be sure opener is engaged, before putting motor in gear." "If you ignore this ...." "You break it, You buy it"
In fact, with only a little Rube Goldberg-ing, it should be possible to have a bunch of signs, that come down _in_rotation_.
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:47:26 -0000, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) spake:
--sniperoo--

That's the one, in reverse lettering on the door precisely behind each of the 3 rear view mirrors, just in case she sometimes checks.

This one dangles from the rvm and will be wiggling when she sits down in the vehicle.

Along with this list: how many dinners out, shopping trips, and beauty shop visits she will miss to pay for the^H^H^HEACH broken door.

The only problem is that we're dealing with a person who didn't pay attention in the first place. It's hard to miss seeing a garage door.
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
use the same pulley system to pull a 2x4 wheel chock out of the way when the door goes up. obwwr.

Getting the chock to go -back- into place when the door closes presents a wee bit of a problem. unless you've got a fleet of trained cockroaches, or something. <grin>

One caple to pull the block one way, another to pull it the other way. Then, you have to figure way to ensure that the car is far enough in. But not to far.

Another neighbor has a tennis ball on a string, adjusted such that, when it just touches the windshield, the car is far enough in.
All of this is solved by storing and using sufficient quantity of woodworking tools in the garage, and leaving the cars outside, where they belong. Oh, and buying sufficently inexpensive automobiles...
Patriarch
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:59:55 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch

Dad used to have that one in play at out first Vista house. We put in a garage (contractor-built) while we turned the attached garage into a utility room, closet, and family room next to the pool. I just wish Dad had known more about woodworking.

Amen to that. (Since it's what I do now.)
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

This is also standard practice at most inter-city bus terminals, and has been for at least 30 years. Although they tend to use something about like sash-cord, rather than just string, and run it inside a section of 1/2" PVC pipe -- these are usually open bays, and that way the thing doesn't move in the wind very much.
Robert Bonomi wrote:
<snipped>

If she can't see the closed garage door do you really think she'll see the sign? ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

OR...
As she drives into the garage and the sign obscures her vision, she drives right through the other side of the garage. He can't win. <eg>
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.