OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops

Page 5 of 5
Charlie ...
<<Yeah. Lots of stuff using Win98, too, but I'm not sure that can be made to support USB. I think I tossed my ME CD a week or two ago. Worst OS I ever tried, including Mac OS 8.>>
All versions of Win98 support USB. There is even a version of Win95 (version B) that supports USB but it is very basic and somewhat limited. The $300 laptop I bought on eBay came with Win98 installed (not always the case that there is any OS on an eBay machine; it's always wise to check before bidding) and I upgraded it to Win98SE. The upgrade disk was another eBay purchase (about $30). I notice that you are looking for a machine with a 20 GIG hard drive. Most of the eBay machines equipped that way seem to be running in the $450-600 range.
Lee

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message came with USB, so it is supported. Stepdaughter's laptop (Compaq Prosignia, 233mhz) also came with it.
Same market I'm in, but I'm just beginning to search. Good luck looking.
Dan
Charlie Self wrote:

Everyone wants a laptop. I have computers that I can't even give away but everyone wants to know when I'm getting a new laptop, there is a wait list to last longer than my lifetime of people wanting me old ones.
Be very careful of the Dell 1150 (and maybe others) it has a desktop cpu. My wife bought one and it runs _HOT_. Just sitting on a desk with the screen blank the cpu fan will turn on off every few minutes. Pick up the machine and both cpu fans crank up to full speed shopvac sound level. Its a 2.4GHz machine and with the software load from Dell it ran slower than my 1GHz latitude. I reloaded XP clean on it and its better but still not as fast as it should be. Some of these new cheap laptops are really a rip off, they throw in a fast cpu and huge screen so you have to have a big battery and loose the benefit of portability, but they give it a slow hard disk, slow system bus, slow memory, etc so you loose the benefit of the fast cpu and bug screen. If you want a decent one look for a Latitude, sign in the small business store and if they ask what the business is your an "independent contractor". You will pay the same price buy won't get all the "free" software included so instead you get a better quality system. The computer makers work the same as tool makers, I paid the same for my crapsman router as my PC router, but I got a bunch of accessories with the crapsman and have to buy all the accessories for my PC. But the PC will do a much better job and outlast the crapsman which I wore out in a short time.
On 07 Sep 2004 10:53:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie,
I would also suggest EBay. A few months ago I purchased a Thinkpad PIII, 450 Mhz, 20GB HD and 512 MB RAM, with OS, carrying bag, Ethernet card, etc. for under $400. Looking in Ebay history, the same computer has sold for as low as $350 on occasion.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffeney/Woodworking/Woodworking.htm
Charlie Self wrote:

WalMart has recently started selling laptops. I haven't looked at them but the price sounds good. See:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id163026
calmly ranted:

And the mfgr (for whom Walmart OEMs) is in good company: http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp Interesting.
(Note to Tawm: How is Dell's Business service? Home/Office Indian customer support sucks the big, green, rancid one. I spent an entire day helping my neighbor with his Dell and I spent several hours with their people trying to get off the dodgamned mailing list. That taught me to -never- buy a Dell.)
.-. Better Living Through Denial --- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design