OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops

Page 4 of 5

A lot of the used notebooks for sale are refurbished off-lease units, usually 2 or 3 years old. My company (reluctantly) sells these from time to time, but at prices 1/3 to 1/2 less than you've quoted. I don't know how much shopping around you've done but you should be able to do much better.
One thing to keep in mind is that used notebooks typically come with a 30 or 90 only warranty, and a battery that is near the end of it's lifecycle. If you have the need for more than a half hour or so of battery run time you'll need to spend a couple of bills on a replacement battery, which may be tough to source.
With new notebooks so cheap these days it doesn't make much sense to buy used unless you can get an exceptional deal. Even then, when you add up the cost of a replacement battery and larger hard drive, you're in the ballpark of a new unit anyway (which gives you a bigger screen, much faster processor and graphics, more ram, better battery life, and a longer warranty).

Yeah, but did you ever tried to work on a desktop on a plane. Smaller means better technology, which means more $$$$$$$.
Chuck
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:53:06 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

Have you tried retrobox.com ? I recently bought a retread PC from them that's been fine, and they also carry laptops. You may have to replace the battery of any laptop that's a few years old, but they have machines that would do what you want for not too much. As an example, today I saw a PIII 650 Dell Latitude for $317 plus shipping.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote :

Hi Charlie,
The big companies are taking profits on the chin in the short run, in an effort to drive the competition out of business. It is pretty brutal between Dell, HP, and Gateway.
The little guys just can't compete that way; they don't have the supply chain or volume leverage and they can't afford to take the short term loss.
Cheers, Nate
Posted a suggestion for you at A.B.P.W. Look for "OT- Portable computer idea for CS"
mp writes:

Sorry. I dropped ABPW long ago because AOL tends to drop 85% of the pix.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie ...
eBay generally has hundreds (at least) of used laptops, some over-priced but many pretty reasonable. Last year I needed a cheap laptop for off-site audio recording. I found a used NEC laptop with a 6.4 GIG HD, 10+ inch display, CD drive and USB port. It's only a 233MHz Pentium II but it cost me only $233 and it serves my purposes just fine. I have also used it to transfer and view pictures from my digital camera, although that is not why I originally bought it. Here's the search parameter I used: http://search.ebay.com/laptop_W0QQfromZR7QQsosortpropertyZ1
Just doing a cursory scan I see that as I was typing this, there was an IBM Thinkpad with a 12.1 inch TFT display and a DVD drive that just went for $299 and a working Toshiba Tecra with 12" screen that just sold for $41. I'm sure you can find something sufficiently cheap.
Lee

Lee Gordon writes:

Or close to sufficiently cheap. I'll check it out, and thanks.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

I'll second ebay... I managed to pick up a PIII-400 4.3 gig dell latitude for < $300. I already had an identical system (except hd = 20gig) and wanted a backup. ;)
I decided to install netbsd on it and it's become my primary machine.
I just wish i could get my card reader to read my CF cards. :(
Good luck charlie!
--
be safe.
flip
Philip Lewis wrote:

I'll third it. The Thinkpad 770 that I got off ebay many years ago is now starting college. Just read all the fine print very carefully, check the seller's feedback before you bid, and plan on 200 bucks or so for a new battery--you may not need it in which case you're 200 bucks to the good, but that's not the way to bet.

--
--John
Lee Gordon writes:

Yeah. Lots of stuff using Win98, too, but I'm not sure that can be made to support USB. I think I tossed my ME CD a week or two ago. Worst OS I ever tried, including Mac OS 8.
Wish I had time this afternoon to pop into town and see what they've got there. I've got some stuff that might actually make a decent one-to-one swap for a $600 or $800 laptop.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie, just my 2 cents but Dell currently has an entry level laptop for $719. Add the support and it will last you some time. You want to use this thing for video capture from your camera and an older PII may do that now but it will be painfull and won't support you for very long. It's like buying any other tool. If you want to save a few bucks at minimum go with a PIII 800+ mhz system. Memory is pretty cheap to add to these guys these days. You will at least get a few years out of that and should be able to find it for around $400.

Shazzamm!
I went away for a couple of weeks and all kinds of cool stuff started happening.
You're threatened with a suit from an anonymous asshole - who really isn't all that anonymous.
Peoples is telling you to buy a PDA to view photos with - as though a three inch screen is demonstrably better than a two inch screen.
Some peoples is encouraging you to buy a used laptop for the same money as a new laptop - because it was better in it's day.
Golly - I do love the Wreck.
I'd go for that low end Dell and add in a few treats.
Pay for the DVD burner, which is cheap as shit if'n you buy it up front and allows you to burn 4.5 gb worth of stuff. Get that extra memory when Dell is running the special on it. Otherwise, buy the aftermarket. It's all about dollars per byte.
Akshully, if'n it were me, I'd position myself to eliminate the desktop and spend about two grand on the laptop. Keep the screen you have, if'n it can be color corrected. Get yaself a nice port replicator and you can keep using the keyboard that you like and the mouse that you like - and you will have two screens to work on - which can be a great help. The existing desktop will make a nice storage device - IDE drives are cheap as dirt right now.
I work with two screens and would never go back.
There is one word of counsel that I would give to you -
"Bidness"
Do not buy on the Home/Home Office side of the Dell website. If you do, you will be relegated to non-english-speaking-peoples as your resource for customer service/tech support.
The "Bidness" side of the Dell website will kick you right into the section where you will deal with Americans who don't speak English - you will be better off - because you will be used to that.
I know, it's a slippery slope - you have a target figure for dollars to be spent - get over it. It is way past time that everyone switched to laptops as their main computer - if you don't bite the bullet now - you will bite it bigtime in the future.
I think that you could make a good argument for giving your current desktop to a deserving family member - thus giving them somewhat current technology whilst propelling yaself into both currency and beyond.
A couple of caveats - if you buy 512mb ram, make sure it is all on one chip - it will cost you more but your upgrade path will be better (same goes for 1gb - I wouldn't buy a box with less than a two gb potential).
Second - get a video card that is twice as nice as the best that you could forsee needing (DAMHIKT).
Thirdly (I lied) get a bigass hard drive and make it spin at 7200 - you won't regret it.
I bought most of the above from Dell for $1750.00 American and I like it a lot.
YMMV.
yippeee!
Regards, Tom.
snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com says...

have difficulty running anything but Windows. Not a problem for most, but if you think you might ever want to run Linux, FreeBSD, etc., be sure you investigate compatibility before you buy - ask the Linux, etc. folks, not the salesman :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Why? Desktop computers are faster, cheaper, upgradeable, and more versatile in configuration and expansion options.

I agree. Laptops are optimized for one thing: portability. If that's not an interest to you, laptops are a big loser.
todd

Win95/SE (second editon) *does* support USB, fwiw. =

Slight nit-picking correction. There was no SE version of Win95. You're thinking of Win95 OSR2 (OEM Service Release 2). SE was the second version of Win98.
todd
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in wrote:

valuable in the IT department, and so likely to eat lunch by themselves...;-)
Patriarch, who gave it all up for...

The OSR2 release for Win95 provided limited USB functionality for a few devices (HID primarily I believe... mice and a few keyboards). Full USB support was in Win98. (Or "fool support" if you're a Linux person talking about Windows...)