OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops

Page 2 of 5
says...

Actually, Jinco was the place I was thinking of. But the "luchbox" computers they sell now are nothing like the old lunchboxes which looked much like a Kaypro or the little Compaq. A 5" to 7" screen alongside one or two floppies.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Han wrote:

My company bought me a Dell laptop for some special work needs and let me pick from a list. Generally laptop LCDs suck, especially the bigger ones. Anyhoo, after seeing/using some of the 15" powerbooks I had thought laptop LCDs had finally become perfected. I ordered the best LCD option Dell had (was going to run X86 Linux so I couldn't get a powerbook). The thing is terrible! Sitting directly in from of the screen (a 15"), the edges are very dark. Move my head to brighten up the view of the edge and the other edge goes black. Same effect on other Dell laptops in the building, 'cept everyone accepts this as normal.
Back to Charlie's question, have you considered a PDA? IF you really just need a bigger screen to see camera photos, some of these PDA's will work fine (test them before buying). Another option would be a small LCD for a computer or even a small color TV set. Many cameras have NTSC video out that can directly drive the "video" inputs on TV's and properly equipped LCD displays.
-BR
The reason used laptops go for that price is that people generally paid double for them and they dont realize or dont want to realize that what they paid $1500 for, or even $800 as recently as 6 months ago, is no longer worth that price.
The main cause of this was influx of processors last year with increased speeds. Intel, for example, produced processors so fast with increasing speeds, even most of the manufacturers couldnt keep up. Thus desktop computers and yes, even laptops have prices have fallen drastically.
Case in point, I bought a laptop in '01, paid $1300 for the laptop and then another few hundered for accessories like a network interface, external CD Burner, etc. I needed something faster so I bought a new laptop (they can only be expanded so much). When I went to sell mine, they were $800-$900 new for something better. I couldnt see letting it go for even half what I paid for it, so I finally just gave it to a family member. I got my use out of it, so that was that.
Computers are a lot like your ww tools in respect, that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Also remember this...Any thing is worth what someone will pay for it.
Ok, that is enough rambling from the geek who wants to do more hands on work with wood :)
Good luck in your search for the new PC/LAPTOP
Clif
Most people say being insane is bad... I see it as having the opportunity to be unique from the mundane lifestyle forced on us by society

for a

price
Checking
megs
the
value
Pentium
screen,
$825.
hoping
drive
he
"Clif" wrote in message

they
worth
Nope, the reason they are that price is that shitheads will "win" them on eBay for that price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Swing responds:

True. Has anyone ever figured out WTF is going on with "winning" something you pay for? And often pay an inflated price for, to boot. I wonder if many of these people do their homework before giggling at the 'great deal' and firing off a CC number.
Charlie Self "I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill

ROTFLMAO... No kidding,,, I must be real lucky as I have won monthly bills and yearly taxes.
Clif responds:

Point being, though, is that these are ALL used laptops. The stuff Dell offers, and my past experience with Dell, for almost the same bucks makes me doubt the sanity of the smaller outfits. Their pricing is way out of line. In fact, I can buy a better new Dell for just a few hundred bucks more.
Charlie Self "I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

The market price is what they sell for. If they didn't sell, the price would drop until they did. Otherwise, they would accumulate, and become a disposal problem, as desktop computers have become.
I believe that what you are seeing is based on folks not being up to date as to what the competitive price is on comparable new product. There may also be a surplus of 'new, but not exactly the latest' product in the supply chain.
The thing to remember is that new laptop product has approximately the shelf life of a fresh bagel, (and can't usefully be frozen.)
I've had good experience with IBM Thinkpads. They are available on similar terms to those you described from Dell. You may consider one of those as an option.
Patriarch

offers,
the
I can

Overhead. Dell has HUGE benefits being that they buy in bulk, mass produce, etc etc etc the small guys dont have those advantages. Sometimes they can cut great deals, but they cant match Dell.
Clif
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

hoping
drive
Just be aware of Dell's shtick ... although good equipment, they lowball the price on a basic system that sounds real good, but will barely run today's bloated software, then the add-on's escalate until you are paying top dollar any way. They also load the machines down with junk offers to the point that you are better off re-formatting and starting over.
Used to be you could get a good, used laptop locally, and you still can if you can run across a seller who hasn't discovered, or doesn't want to take the time to deal with, eBay.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman writes:

So far, so good. I'm running an 18 month old Dimension 8300 that has a few extras--gig of RAM, 120 gig hard drive, that sort of stuff. My only problem has been the CD burner, which went out. The guy in India wanted me to reformat my hard drive to correct that, but after a week or so of back-and-forth, a local Dell tech showed up and replaced it.

May still be possible. There's a place in town I haven't had time to check yet. Laptops from $299. My experience with these guys, though, is they're mostly selling 386 and 486 technology, or want near new prices. I think they hope to catch the more recent Yankees, retiring here from NY, NJ & CT prices.
Charlie Self "I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." Sir Winston Churchill
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

problem has

my
local
Back in June I bought my youngest a Dell 5150 Inspiron laptop for college. By the time I got finished with the "upgrades" to insure decent performance, the price went from a base of $1100 to about $1800, then the "hazard" insurance/extended warranty (for college dorm life and far from home, I figured I'd be better off hedging that bet and being a sucker for once) added close to another $300 to that ... and, after using it, it has become apparent (to me, at least) that I still didn't get enough memory for the damn thing.
I've probably owned 6 laptops in the past 12 years, and that is the first one I've not bought used. Personally, I've gone back to using a desktop in a, likely out-of-step, effort to return to more Luddite ways.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

This commment shows, I guess, how far we've come, when a desktop user feels he's a Luddite. ;-)
So, what's the proper OS for a Neander computer user? ;-)
Patriarch, who really appreciates the bigger screen on the desktop.

DOS 3.1 of course.
Unless OS/MFT or Multics will fit on a desktop :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

... or just load up whatever Babbage was using. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Marc Hudson

"Swingman" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message

Factoid: Lady Lovelace had the software ready, but Babbage never completed the hardware required to run it.
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 21:56:24 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Kind of an ironic historical twist, isn't it? Probably the only time in history the hardware availability lagged the software. (Well, at least in my world that's the case).

Actually, even OS/MVS (non-XA), including SPF, _will_ fit on a desktop. If you've got a "P-370" card, it runs _native_ on the co-processor board.
Othewise there is the 'Hercules' emulator, which will run anything from about TOS/360 (that's <T>ape <O>perating <S>ystem -- for sites that couldn't afford rotating mass storage, aka 'disk drives') forward. I think it does XA, and even Z-system. *scary* piece of software.