OT: Slate steps need help

I have three solid slabs (10" thick approx) of slat that is my front steps. The slate is flaking away on the top layer, the house is about 75 years old and the steps have been there that long (we were told) they are in good shape and I pressure washed the algae off today, so they look nice. But as I said they are flaking, is there a way I can stop this process, I believe that it is cause by freezing and thawing of water. So I am assuming that if I were to "seal" it maybe that would help?
Thanks for any help
Searcher
Searcher wrote:

That's some thick slate! Never saw single slabs of slate that thick. At first I thought you were talking about bluestone, which many confuse with slate, but the flaking would point to slate.
Not sure if sealing it would be the right thing to do as sealed slate can get mighty slippery. You probably should crosspost this to alt.home.repair as well. Post a link to a picture and let's have a look.
Searcher wrote:
> I have three solid slabs (10" thick approx) of slat that is my front steps. > The slate is flaking away on the top layer, the house is about 75 years old > and the steps have been there that long (we were told) they are in good > shape and I pressure washed the algae off today, so they look nice. <snip>
Try locating a stone mason in your area.
You need some professional advice.
Lew

Much depends on your slate. Some locations of UK slate (lakeland green) will hold up to this weathering, other grades (welsh grey) won't. Generally the slate that's easily split and used for roofing isn't as resistant as the stuff that needs to be sawn.
A stone sealer like Lithofin is a good idea. Generally though you're rather at the mercy of the type of stone.