OT: Simple English

It is nothing of the kind.

You are apparently unaware that the word predates Victoria by _at least_ three and a half centuries. The first known appearance _in print_ is dated 1503, and the word is almost certainly _far_ older than that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh, yes. Most of the English words for the basics of everyday life are unmistakeably Germanic:

Bier, Wein, Milch, Wasser, Brot, Butter, Mett = beer, wine, milk, water, bread, butter, meat

Vater, Mutter, Bruder, Schwester = father, mother, brother, sister

Haus, Tafel, Stuhl = house, table, chair (stool)

Hand, Finger = (obvious)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Meat =3D Fleisch

Reply to
Robatoy

In news:hiqr1h$kkb$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, Doug Miller dropped this bit of wisdom:

What I do not comprehend is those among us who consistently=20

fail to appreciate the thought implied=20 attempt to further elucidate upon the actual etymology=20 fail miserably at any semblance of bonhomie.

Is it not nice to know trhat we have a lot for which to thank the Jutes, = Angles, and Saxons for our verbiage? That is not to cast any aspersions = upon those who utilized Sanskirt in their daily communications.

Mendatum caco.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

Angles, and Saxons for our verbiage? =A0That is not to cast any aspersions = upon those who utilized Sanskirt in their daily communications.

Whao!, Q! I never knew!

Reply to
Robatoy

Wow, I'm impressed at your childishness. You and Robby are quite the couple.

Reply to
krw

Innews: snipped-for-privacy@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,

A childish moron, for sure, but we have no idea how wide your stripe is.

Reply to
krw

I thought so too, that's why I passed it along. A friend of mine in Winnipeg sent it to me, and he got it from a hooker in Havana...so I don't know who to give credit to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hopefully that's all he got from the hooker in Havana.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Robatoy wrote in news:5f278c5a-939c-47de-a0c0- snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

As a born Dutchman, I can fully understand.

In my 60+ years, Dutch has undergone at least 3 fully sanctioned changes in official spelling. At the introduction of the last one (or the one before that), the chair of the committee was explaining the rules and flaunted them by giving an example. Since I have been living in the US since 1969, I can't remember whether the change was from pannekoek to pannenkoek, or vice versa, since I now call it pancake.

Bisquick makes great "flensjes", say my grandkids.

Reply to
Han