OT Shutters

We bought house that was built 3 years ago with vinyl shutters and siding. The finned plastic bolts that hold the shutters in place are breaking off. I would like to permanently fix, so that every couple of years I do not have to climb up there and replace those plastic finned bolts.

Any suggestions.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Stainless steel bolts.

Reply to
Leon

My vinyl shutters came with plastic bolts that are threaded, not finned. Bought them at Lowes.

Maybe you could go to Lowes, find the brand of shutters with real bolts, jot down the manufacturer's name, call them and see if they'll send you some bolts.

BTW...I haven't tried it yet (plan to this spring) but I've recently been told that Amour-All works great to bring some shine back to vinyl shutters that have faded due to exposure to the elements.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

FOAM dem puppies onto there. It sticks like glue. Then you can calculate the extra insulative values yourself.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Paint works better.

Reply to
clare

I haven't tried Armor-All yet on shutters, mainly because I've used it on other things with mediocre results at best and it washes off fast.

I've been told (and read) by various vinyl experts not to paint vinyl shutters. It will cover any grain, requires more prep work and can peel off over time.

Has anyone tried Shutter-Renu?

It's a two-step process said to last at least 3+ years. I've been considering trying this as it won't require taking the shutters down or masking extensively. Love to know if anyone has tried it and what were their results.

Reply to
Casper

As it turns out, this stuff is said to last 7 years or more, depending on your location, weather and correct prep and application.

Haven't decided yet if I will try it. Figure I have a couple months yet to consider my options. If I use it, I'll let you all know how well it works. Honestly, I'drather not have to remove the shutters.

Reply to
Casper