OT: Shower tile

A small section of the floor ceramic tile appears to have lost its glaze -- or whatever coating allows it to repel water and dirt. Any thoughts about what to use to restore it before I set out to rip and replace?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

First, I'd check to see if the tile lost its glaze or it it is a buildup of hair spray. You'd understand that if my daughter used your bathroom.

The only way to restore a glaze is to coat it with glaze and fire it in a kiln. You can do it in you home oven if you can rig it to go to

1850 degrees.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, Ed. I like a hot shower, but 1850 degrees is a tad hotter than I prefer.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

He was referring to the oven temperature. 1850 degrees is the required temp to glaze a tile.

Reply to
Meanie

Goto home depot or Lowes. They sell sealer , there are different types. One of them will do what you need. BTW there are many bathroom remodellers that will reglaze your bathroom, so the stuff is out there.

And no you don't need 1850, these are chemically done.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'd be checking to see if it has truly been etched or if it has amineral build-up. Try cleaning with CLR or some other mild acid. If that doesn't work, try polishing with a very fine abrassive to see if you can restore the gloss. If you can, perhaps there is a chance of salvaging the tile.

Sounds to me like you might have very agressive alkaline water ??

Reply to
clare

That is an epoxy based coating, not a true reglaze. It may be acceptable in a pinch, but tile glazing is essentially a glass coating.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lime Away a product, is very useful for cleaning tiles and stuff with alkalinity build up. Especially when it is warm. I would do it with gloves and warm water. Great for coffee machines, just needs to be purged a few times before using it to make coffee again.

Reply to
OFWW

If hair spray - or soap film ...... I'd try a solvent. Long before I rip them out...

Mart> >> A small section of the floor ceramic tile appears to have lost its

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

So is vinegar.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yes, but no where near as effective.

Reply to
OFWW

As long as the conversation is about bathroom tiles, what is a good way to put re-adhere one that fell off (due to the vibration from sliding shower door being slammed too hard into the wall). It's 2" square, and both the wall and the tile have remnants of brown adhesive. It is in 2 pieces now, due to hitting the floor, but I consider that a non-issue as the pieces fit together seemlessly. If it makes any difference, the tile is in the "shower area" but not in an area that normally gets wet (it's higher than that).

Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Bill

Since it was installed with mastic in the first place (a mistake, in my opinion) just glue it back in with tile mastic, PL cement, or silicone. No guarantee it won't fall out again - but no guarantee the one beside it won't fall out first. Re grout after gluing.

Reply to
clare

Thank you. Since I've just got one 2" tile, I'm trying to keep the cost under control. The space is so minimal (between tiles), that I think a little extra silicone will suffice as "grout" (assuming the silicone has some adhesive properties, as you seem to imply). Did I read that right? This is a tile "on the corner" (two edges showing).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

[snip]

Silicone is both. In the situation you describe it will function quite well as an adhesive. If you have white grout (and kept it that way) after you set the tile back in place the silicone cures, carefully mask the grout line are to just expose the width of the grout line showing on the other tiles. Squirt a small amount of the white silicone into the grout line and then take a WET finger and firmly press down and trace the grout line ONCE. It will leave you with a nice clean line. After it begins to set up, carefully remove the masking tape and pat yourself on the back.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

and crazy glue or similar would also seal the cracked tile if the pieces were glued together first, then down as the above.

Reply to
OFWW

I personally hate silicone in the bathroom it molds over quite quickly. I started using the old standard DAP with mildewcide.. I think it's microban 2000.

I like it better than silicone. I have limited my use of silicone more and more, going back to other means, and only using it when needed. BTW , they make grout in a tube for small fixes, or having to seal the plumbing to the tile... Can't remember the name, great stuff.

Reply to
woodchucker

Kitchen and bath, or tub and tile silicone has the mildewcide as well, and works well.

Reply to
clare

Perhaps, but I'm not fond of silicone for many solutions. When I caulked the windows and my aluminum siding the silicone broke loose of the siding quickly. Not the DAP.

And I have still had problems with bath silicone (not sure if it had mildewcide) it mildewed quickly. The dap has not.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thank you! I'll print this out. And I may "crazy glue" the tile too, as OFWW suggested. I would not have thought of that , and it would seem to eliminate the possibility of ending up with the "cracked tile look" (which is probably more likely, than not, without the crazy glue).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Bill

Reply to
Bill