OT-Should Martha Stewart get time?

Page 1 of 2

Should Martha Stewart get a prison sentence? They've only got her on being dishonest to investigators. They have no evidence regarding her participation with the IMCLone insider trading scam. Even if she did have advance knowledge that the IMClone stock was going to pummel, was she wrong for dumping the stock? What would you have done?
What about Michael Jackson?
Kobe Bryant?
Robert Blake?
Scott Peterson?
Zeke Redner wrote:

Yes, for what Bruce said.

Death by Boo Foo.

Wife should divorce him, take most of what he has. When are these people going to learn to buy a Pro. Awful hard for a hooker to cry fowl.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Execution is probably the only thing that will keep his mouth shut.

Who says you have to be from the midwest to be trailer trash? Should be killed just for being classless.

Mark

N.E. Ohio
Nah, they're all fine and should be left to commit whatever crimes they want. You, however, should be shot and pissed on at the earliest opportunity for posting crap like this.

wrong
Celebrity death match...

wrong
Martha should disgorge treble damages from her sale plus a big fine for the coverup, then get back to making money and paying taxes. Her "crime" was really pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and collecting the taxes on her business is a lot more important than sending her to Eglin for tennis lessons for a few months. Why punish people who are pumping up the economy?
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

Nice attitude. So your financial contribution to society should be considered when you break laws? You know, in the "grand scheme of things" the crack head that robs the local convenience store is pretty minor too. For that matter, what crime isn't pretty minor?

You seem to have trouble separating things. It makes no difference whether or not she was "pumping up the economy," she broke the law and then tried to cover it up. Why should SHE get to get out before the stock bombs and the ordinary Joe on the street has to eat the loss?

Because her broker told her to sell. He was the one who broke the law and he is getting a walk for fingering her.
Bruce responds:

Considering the possible loss to society by incarceration is something that does happen. I can recall some years ago (27 or 28) brothers who owned a resort hotel in NYS being nailed for screwing IRS out of, IIRC, about $5 million. Restitution, minor fines, minor jail time (I seem to recall 120 or 180 days each) with the jail time arranged so one brother would always be on hand to run the hotel. Rationale: loss of several hundred jobs should the hotel end up in difficulty and fold.

It seems likely the stock won't bomb...and it probably wouldn't have wavered if the varioius news media hadn't raise such a hullabaloo. I wonder often what it is about Ms. Stewart that has so many who wish problems on her in advance of conviction. Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

She's a strong and smart woman which is very threatening to man and woman alike.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark responds:

You're probably right. Going through life that badly threatened by a stranger has to be an awful sensation.
Charlie Self
In rec.woodworking

She's a major league bitch; just ask her xH, anyone that has ever worked for or near her.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/stewart1.html http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/msimclone1.html http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/marthamaine1.html
Bruce responds:

Yeah, but, then, those of us who have been divorced, or fired, are not the best judges of the character of those on the other side of the equation. My ex-wife is probably about 1/5 as bad as I make her out, while my most recent ex-boss is definitely not a bitch, though other qualifiers that are less pleasant leap instantly to mind.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

They ought to sentence her to go to Iraq and decorate all the Saddam hidey-holes!
Tim
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Did you read the links I posted? How bout people that were cussed like dogs and then run over by her in her Suburban?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

... snip

Boy, that sends a great message, doesn't it?
... snip

The stock in question did bomb -- she sold just before a major announcement regarding information that was not available to the general public (i.e. general stock investor) until the announcement. Profiting from information that only an insider would know is a crime and is a crime not because the government loves regulating industry (well, it does, but that's not the over-riding issue in this case), but because the stock market would die if this were not so. Consider that if people inside a publicly traded company could benefit from news (good or bad) before stockholders became aware of such news -- people would just plain stop investing in the market because all of the profits would be made by the insiders at the expense of outside investors.

From what I understand, peoples' reaction to her is similar to the reaction that woodworkers and serious do-it-yourselfers have to Bob Vila. The two appear to have very similar personalities (albeit with Martha actually letting her guests speak a bit more than Bob ever did). Not to anyone's credit, folks seem to take perverse pleasure when people with the Bob V personality suffer some setback.

Yeah, like "Picture Toilet Paper" of Osama or Sadam.
Rich
(Zeke Redner) posted something snipped:
Kill 'em all, let the Gods sort 'em out.
Next time you post something OT, at least make it half-way interesting.
JOAT Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. - Unknown
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 12 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
RKON responds:

Might have helped. The word--and pictures--say that Saddass Insane was captured this morning (yesterday morning, I guess). The legend in his own mind did a real hero's job of battling it out...he came quietly, with no resistance at all. Mr. Guts & Glory. For someone else.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

Maybe they should bunk Martha and Saddam in the same cell. She could accessorize him and he could teach her how to be really nasty in business...
Tim
No As far as I know, none of her employees were robbed of their pension and retirements, no dipping into company funds to buy homes, boats, and airplanes, no bancruptcy due to her personal spending sprees or company mismanagement. The reason her stock tanked was the media hype. Too many REAL corporate theves out there. She's a scapegoat.
The rest of them......where's Jack Ruby when you need him.

wrong

What about Sadam?
What about OJ? I'm against the death sentence, but approve of life in prison.