OT: Shop broken into - Tools Stolen

Page 2 of 2
Here's something to frost your preserves: Because we owned "professional grade" tools, my Dad's homeowner's insurance refused to cover our loss! They weren't "homeowner's tools."
Bill
Bill McNutt wrote:

Allstate did the same thing to me. I had a toolbag stolen from my truck and they didn't want to cover it because it was in my truck so I could have used it for my job. They finally agreed to pay but pro-rated the worth of everything down to nothing even though I paid for a replacement value policy. Needless to say I don't have insurance with them any longer.

As if they care. And that's the point that is most irritating. Some companies get away with this behaviour because they figure if they lose a particular customer, some new ones will be along presently to replace him/her. No wonder rules and regulations come about.
It is good to have a few photos of your shop with the tools clearly shown. For that matter it is good to photograph your entire house contents and let someone else hold the photos. In case of fire it goes a long way to remind you just what has been lost.
I did have a garage robbery some years ago. I reported it -- along with the fact that I had put my initials on all the hand tools. A short time later the police contacted me to come and identify some stolen merchandise. There was an enormous toolbox filled with tools engraved with my initials. Unfortunately, it belonged to someone else. I had the impression the police would love to have me claim the box just to empty out their locker.
Dick
My house was broken into. He came back a while later to get what he didn't get the first time. So be very careful with what was left behind. Get a motion detector and a loud alarm. In my case, we caught the thief after his return trip. He got 3 years in jail.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
SteveC1280 wrote:

If I'd have caught the thief he'd have had a couple of broken limbs to go with his 3 years...
"No officer, no idea how he broke his legs... maybe he tripped over the step while illegally entering my garage..."
However, not everyone has the ability/inclination to tackle a burgalar.
Andy

What is really sad is that burglars have been injured in the places they were stealing from and sued the owners and won! Ed

On the flip side, a burglar in England years ago broke through the roof of a Fish and Chip store shortly after closing (around 11pm). He jumped from the ceiling space to the floor but in the darkness landed in the deep fryer vat instead. They found him in the morning - deep fryed.
(It may well be a urban myth, I'd rather not know though)
Greg
Greg Millen wrote:

I live in England and haven't heard anything about that...
Sorry to potentially burst your bubble...
Cheers,
Andy
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, I know. The Tony Martin case in England makes me sick to my stomach...
Andy
Andy Jeffries wrote:

If you value your property, do not gratuitously injure an intruder in the US. The law _should_ be that whatever happens to someone who breaks into a house is his fault and his problem and he has no recourse against his intended victims no matter what they did to him in the interval between his entering the premises and the time the police took him into custody. But in our loony-tune times you'll likely hear from the intruder's lawyer before you hear from the prosecutor.
Remember, the law is not what the statutes say or what is right or good, it is what a lawyer can convince a judge and jury that it is.

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm not in the US (as my email address will show).
> The law _should_ be that whatever happens to someone who breaks into a

Completely agree...
However, it should be arguable that the intruder was startled by the homeowners discovery and got violent. In the insuing altercation some injuries occured before the intruder was able to be sufficiently apprehended...
Andy
Andy Jeffries wrote:

Just shoot the S.O.B. "Officer, it looked like he had a gun pointed at me so I fired before he could."
My loaded Mossberg 590 is always within reach at night. The thing is so ugly I have to hide it under my bed.
Hoyt W.

It isn't much after the cows get out, but it's an effective deterrent to drill a 3/8" hole in your garage door track for a pad- lock.
Two tidbits.
FIrst, a few years ago my house was broken into and a number of things were stolen. I had replacement coverage, and while the insurance company fussed a bit, they did cover everything, eventually. I did have proof for some items (product manuals, mostly), but no receipts. It may have helped that the adjuster so royally screwed up the values and I gave them a spread sheet with the amounts corrected - those in my favor AND those in theirs.
Second, I just had a ladder stolen and when the police called a tip the officer gave me was to mark your items with some unique set of digits, intials, etc. using a dremel, in a not too noticeable area on the item. Apparently they now have some sort of national database that pawnshops check and if you have a way of distinctly identifying the item, they might be able to get it back to ya.
Renata
wrote:

-snip-

[snip]
You live in a metro area? How many people know you have this kind of stuff. I tend to keep what I have to myself.
I hope you get your stuff back. Please post an update on what happens with your insurance company.
Wes