OT: Shop broken into - Tools Stolen

Page 1 of 2
Keep those garage doors closed at all times!!! Last night while I slept someone broke into my garage through the side door, was brazen enough to apparently open the electric garage door, and load up their car with my things.
Items gone:
Dewalt DW735 Planer Dewalt 515K VSR Hammer drill Dewalt DW433K Belt Sander Dewalt DW621 Plunge router Grizzly 10Gal air compressor Grizzly Pro Series nailer Ryobi Oscillating spindle sander
Non-tools: Mountain bike worth about $1800.
I've contacted the insurance company, but think I'm going to have difficulty proving ownership for all of it, as many of the items are a few years old and receipts are long gone. I'm still in sick about it this evening and have been all day since this morning. I think someone (possibly a neighborhood gardender) has seen my shop when the garage door was open and finally came back last night. It is curious that some things out in the open didn't disappear, such as a Skil 77 circ saw, Festool jigsaw, Makita cordless drill. They also missed a few cabinets worth of hand power tools, thankfully. And my Porter Cable miter saw, bolted to its table, and Milwaukee router in the router table are safe as well.
The cost of replacement is definitely going to blow my new jointer budget. Oh well, I guess it could have been worse.
Brian.
"Brian" writes:

<snip>
I can relate, it happened to me and my place was locked, but a big pair of bolt cutters gave the bad guys an advantage.
About now, you probably feel violated, but there is a bright side.
You will get replacement tools, some of which will be better than the ones stolen, it only takes money, and life moves on.
Good luck.
--
Lew

Brian writes:

Much depends on the insurance company and the claim adjuster. We had no problems proving loss of items, some upwards of 15 years old, in our fire last year. Receipts have been gone for a decade or more.
I sympathize with your loss and hope you've got a good insurance company.
When your new tools arrive, break out the video camera or your digital camera and get good photos of every item, including those now on hand. Stash the video or CD in a fire-safe location.

last
Thank you for the encouragement. Hopefully the fact that I've been a loyal client of this insurance company for 7 years with the home policy and 12 years with the auto policy, and have NEVER submitted a claim to date will weigh in my favor.
Brian.
"Brian" wrote in message

loyal
I sympathize with your loss.
With regard to the insurance company sentiments above, don't count on it. These days a brand new relationship starts with each renewal/payment cycle.
35 years with USAA, one of the best until the MBA's took over about ten years ago, woke me up to that sad fact.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

That can work in the consumer's favor, too.
When we had a massive ice storm in this area a few years ago, the different insurance companies' approaches were interesting. Farmer's and Allstate dragged their feet, argued, and bucked.
State Farm, though, realized that they were in the business of keeping customers. They hit town and started THROWING money at customers. My agent told me, "Just get an estimate. We'll pay it!" I was too busy cleaning up damage (and helping others clean up theirs) to call very busy contractors, so I waited until one of the adjusters stopped by. He found stuff I'd have never thought to get estimates on, which increased my check by several thousand dollars.
I had that check in my hand within four hours of the adjuster's arrival, btw.
Needless to say, State Farm retained lots of satisfied customers. The others' customers immediately started shopping.

Sorry to hear that. I had USAA while I was in the Army 15+ years ago. I still get an occasional piece of mail for them, and I've considered getting a comparison. Thanks for the advice.
Kevin

I've seen a substantial decrease in customer focus from USAA over the last 18 years but the rates are still good and the one claim I've had they did pay promptly. I'm always looking though! Allen

I had a similar experience.... but let me finish the story:
Ice storm '98 NE New York.... I was told explicitly that if my claim was < $2000 they would just pay it. Some stuff they would allow, some not. If tree fell and damage the house, they would pay to have the damage fixed and the tree removed. Trees that just littered the lot, You're on your own.
There were allot of costs which were not. I made some generous estimates on a few things and recouped a little bit of the costs of the whole event.
Fast forward a few years.... I did my periodic shopping for a better car/house insurance rates and was told that I was not eligible for some of the best rates because "I had filed a claim"
I got burned on this with car rates as well, having filed a claim for having my car towed once. It was about a mile and cost $60. I was reimbursed $35. No questions were asked but when it came shopping time.... "you made a claim".
If you have to pay for it later on in higher premiums, why bother?
I no longer pay a "towing premium" I keep my deductibles high so that insurance claims are only for "catastrophic losses"
-Steve
On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:11:59 -0400, "Stephen M"

Insurance is not a free money program. *Everything* you get from them you or the other insurers will pay for. The more you get the more you will pay. Treat insurance as a savings account that you draw out from if something happens and then you have to put more in it to re-fill the coffers.
Insurance companies are there to make money for their shareholders, they don't accomplish that by paying out large claims without compensation.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Any new insurer is probably going to quote you a higher price for a policy right after you filed a claim with your old insurer.
There is a nationwide database of properties and claims against them that is maintained by the insurance industry.
The best time to shop for insurance is when you haven't had a claim for a long time.
Brian Elfert

I recently checked my record, it's very similar to a credit report in appearance. I wasn't having any problems, but I wanted to see it out of curiosity. The report was accurate, showing only a glass claim I made 3-4 years back.
Barry

Man, that sucks.

Receipts don't prove ownership. I've gone through old papers and found receipts for things I'd long ago sold, given away, or just tossed in the junk heap.
Surely your insurance company isn't demanding receipts . . . are they?
Kevin

Haven't talked to the adjuster yet. I guess I just assumed they'd want some proof of ownership. I have no pictures of the tools, so I figured that the next best thing would have been receipts.
Brian.
I'd be very surprised if the insurance company asks for anything more than a list of items stolen, model number and description. That's all they wanted from me in a recent breakin in my house. They also let me do the shopping. I have replacement cost insurance, so I ended up with brand new items replacing the old ones. My only loss was a hand gun which is no longer manuafactured and the peace of mind of feeling safe in my hope. But financially, I came out to the plus side.
Gary

some
the
Brian - Just a few tips when you deal with your insurance company. If you have the instruction manuals, warranty cards, etc, those can work as proof that you owned the items you're claiming. Also, if you filled out the warranty cards and sent them in to Dewalt, PC, Grizzly, or others, they will have that information on record, and can give you a letter or form that confirms when you registered. Most of these large companies keep good records for product liability purposes - some keep them for 7 - 10 years.
If you purchased from one of the Borg and used a credit card, both the Borg and the credit card company will have that information and can give you a report showing when you pruchased. Did you have any repair work done on any of the tools? If so, go to the the repair shop and get a copy of your receipt. Also, did you have any photos or videos of your shop and tools? Those will be additional proof.
Lastly, when you file an insurance claim, you will probably do a "Proof of Loss" form, which is your sworn statement that you had the items, had a loss by burglary, and are claiming $X,XXX.XX. Once you file that, with your sworn statement that you owned the items, it's up to them to prove you didn't have them.
Good luck - I hop you come out ok - do a follow up post and let us know. If you have any questions about the claim process and want to email me direct, I've encoded my email address below my name - I've been in insurance claims for 25 years, so I can probably answer any questions you may have during the "process".
Nick B n dot bozovich at verizon dot net
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Keep those garage doors closed at all times!!!&nbsp; Last night while I slept<BR>&gt; someone broke into my garage through the side door, was brazen enough to<BR>&gt; apparently open the electric garage door, and load up their car with my<BR>&gt; things.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Items gone:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Dewalt DW735 Planer<BR>&gt; Dewalt 515K VSR Hammer drill<BR>&gt; Dewalt DW433K Belt Sander<BR>&gt; Dewalt DW621 Plunge router<BR>&gt; Grizzly 10Gal air compressor<BR>&gt; Grizzly Pro Series nailer<BR>&gt; Ryobi Oscillating spindle sander<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Non-tools: Mountain bike worth about $1800.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I've contacted the insurance company, but think I'm going to have difficulty<BR>&gt; proving ownership for all of it, as many of the items are a few years old<BR>&gt; and receipts are long gone.&nbsp; I'm still in sick about it this evening and<BR>&gt; have been all day since this morning.&nbsp; I think someone (possibly a<BR>&gt; neighborhood gardender) has seen my shop when the garage door was open and<BR>&gt; finally came back last night.&nbsp; It is curious that some things out in the<BR>&gt; open didn't disappear, such as a Skil 77 circ saw, Festool jigsaw, Makita<BR>&gt; cordless drill.&nbsp; They also missed a few cabinets worth of hand power tools,<BR>&gt; thankfully.&nbsp; And my Porter Cable miter saw, bolted to its table, and<BR>&gt; Milwaukee router in the router table are safe as well.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The cost of replacement is definitely going to blow my new jointer budget.<BR>&gt; Oh well, I guess it could have been worse.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Brian.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
Nick, thanks for the input. I'll contact you if I have any questions after the adjuster contacts me.
Brian.
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Keep those garage doors closed at all times!!!&nbsp; Last night while I slept<BR>&gt; someone broke into my garage through the side door, was brazen enough to<BR>&gt; apparently open the electric garage door, and load up their car with my<BR>&gt; things.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Items gone:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Dewalt DW735 Planer<BR>&gt; Dewalt 515K VSR Hammer drill<BR>&gt; Dewalt DW433K Belt Sander<BR>&gt; Dewalt DW621 Plunge router<BR>&gt; Grizzly 10Gal air compressor<BR>&gt; Grizzly Pro Series nailer<BR>&gt; Ryobi Oscillating spindle sander<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Non-tools: Mountain bike worth about $1800.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I've contacted the insurance company, but think I'm going to have difficulty<BR>&gt; proving ownership for all of it, as many of the items are a few years old<BR>&gt; and receipts are long gone.&nbsp; I'm still in sick about it this evening and<BR>&gt; have been all day since this morning.&nbsp; I think someone (possibly a<BR>&gt; neighborhood gardender) has seen my shop when the garage door was open and<BR>&gt; finally came back last night.&nbsp; It is curious that some things out in the<BR>&gt; open didn't disappear, such as a Skil 77 circ saw, Festool jigsaw, Makita<BR>&gt; cordless drill.&nbsp; They also missed a few cabinets worth of hand power tools,<BR>&gt; thankfully.&nbsp; And my Porter Cable miter saw, bolted to its table, and<BR>&gt; Milwaukee router in the router table are safe as well.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The cost of replacement is definitely going to blow my new jointer budget.<BR>&gt; Oh well, I guess it could have been worse.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Brian.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

They probably used the release and opened the door manually.

They took the bike, too? Damn!

Depending on your claim history it may be easier than you think. I've actually been treated well by Met Life when I needed them.
Good luck, and check eBay and the local pawn shops. My mom was burglarized in FL a few years back, and I was able to get some of the stuff back from pawn shops simply by asking, WITHOUT the police. ;^)
Barry

We had a break-in 20 or more years ago. The insurance company didn't believe us when we claimed a home-made quilted pillow. I sent them a color slide of the pillow and they paid up.
Moral of this anecdote (sort of): Pictures of your shop can prove what was there at some point in time.
--
Best regards
Han

Sorry to hear that, Brian. Hate to say it, but more often than not, these things are the work of an insider...someone who has seen or heard you describe your gear. Any suspects? I hope you filed a police report.
--

Bill