OT: sewer costs

Page 3 of 3

I doubt that water would do much to get through this hard-pan clay, but when I drove the ground rods, the house was under construction and the well was not in at that time, so no water was available.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:57:47 -0400, "EXT"

Surely there's some type of drill you can use to get through clay like you've described? The problem with hammering a rod is that the clay has to be impacted out of the way. Drilling evacuates that clay instead.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:16:55 -0400, EXT wrote:

rent/borrow a large hammer drill next time, makes driving ground rods a breeze.
basilisk
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 20:02:12 -0500, godsword wrote:

Not around here - The last well I had, in Boise ID, had to go down over 250' to hit water. Most of the northwest, except near the coast, is sagebrush country.
carrying a cross.
On 3/18/2013 11:51 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

at my house in North Florida, we have Surface Water at 20 feet, and I Now pull drinking water from this well at 25 Feet. Total depth of the well is 30 Feet.(no choice) However, Until my main well went south, It was down about 350 feet for really Good Water. My son moved next to me and his well is down 360 feet.
But there is Always Surface Water. The Surface water is great for watering the garden, but the only way I can use it for drinking water is to Filter, Filter, and use a water softener to take out the iron.
And yes we have hard pan also. It lays in layers at several different depth levels, and while it is difficult to drive a well point down through, it is possible. But even so, many times there is surface water right above the first layer of hard pan, because the water cannot penetrate through it. I agree that running water Down the pipe or around the pipe works very well. Even a well driller pumps water down to help drill his holes. Lots of luck with whatever you choose to do.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:25:23 -0500, godsword wrote:

I can top that with another Boise story :-). Our place was on septic. About 2' down, even less in a few places, was a layer of lava. The ditches for our drain field were not dug, they were blasted :-). Luckily lava is quite porous.
But I'm sure you have better sinkhole stories :-).
carrying a cross.
On 3/18/2013 6:35 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

only inches, to a few feet down. Our Relatives in Missouri had rock only inches down, and had to blast out each fence post hole. But that is NOT hard pan. When I lived in the Miami area, I had to break up sandstone and coral rock with a tiller, pulverize it with a tree limb shredder, to make the soil for my garden. We only had 3-4 inches of top soil. Every place is different, But why Quit just because someone says that it cannot be done. I also grew asparagus in south Florida when they said that it could not be done. And I was not the only one who did it.
On 03/15/2013 11:11 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

For a 3 month period, 7 rooms, 1 tub/shower, 2 toilets:
water--$45.34 sewer--$107.76 trash--$39.00 storm water (whether it rains or not)--$6.00
Total bill with taxes---$201.26 divided by 3 for a monthly total of pennies just over $67/month
On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:17:59 -0500, practice

The real question is how do those charges compare to various other areas in your state and other states for that fact?