OT: Serious bleep for a minute

Page 2 of 3
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Penguins?
Aren't penguins limited to the Southern hemisphere?
I thought it was polar bears.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Just funnin' ya. I knew that would get a rise out of Robatoy.
Just for the record, what is the difference between a polar bear and a penguin?
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Try SIZE.
Back about 1980-1985, the Holiday Inn in Moline, Il, had a stuffed polar bear up on it's hind legs in the lobby.
The ceilings in the lobby were at 2nd story level, and needed to be to accomodate the bear.
He was one BIG dude.
Maybe 6-8 penguins stacked on top of each other might have gotten to the shoulder of that bear.
Lew

Try plucking a polar bear...

*giving my head a shake*..... Ohhhhh *PLUCKING!!!*****

Talk to Lyle Lovett about penguins...

Well actually most any where can flood. Regardless of where you live something can get you. Hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, earth quakes, sink holes, etc. IMHO your are always in some kind of danger. Having lived through several disasters I believe the best you can do is live in a less populated area. The advantage to this is that when a disaster does hit, you are not in line behind 2,000,000 other people with the same problem. IMHO the biggest problem with living in a heavily populated disaster area is that it takes "for ever" to get things back to normal.

Blizzards???!!!! In the same vein as hurricanes & tornadoes & earthquakes????!!! Why not add thunderstorms and sunburn, while you're at it?
Sorry, blizzards are just big snowstorms. A couple of days & everything is cleaned up.
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

It's interesting, though. In my part of the country, we have some minor earthquakes, a few isolated tornadoes, and the plagues of winter, ice and snow.
Living in an earthquake zone and/or a hurricane area would not be my first choice, but I can see those from Florida or California being aghast with having to deal with 30 below and a two foot snow drop.
Blizzards and cold are surefire killers if you're not ready for them, as are earthquakes and hurricanes. Luigi, you're in NWT or YK IIRC, and I'm sure you have all the gear to survive a tough winter. So do I. With us, it's just the passing of seasons. To others, it might well be hell.
Mostly it boils down to preparedness,.
Tanus
Tanus wrote:

Hurricanes cause very, very few deaths.
95% of the deaths attributed to hurricane Katrina, for instance, came in the years after the storm as 150,000 New Orleans goblins invaded Houston (250 murders in 1998, 400 in 2006)..
Fortunately, these itinerant squints killed each other off with some regularity, and now, four years later, we are getting back to our usual, fairly low, homicide rate (336 in 2008).

One a day is "low"?
Wow.
Where I live, one a MONTH is reason for concern.

Where I live, one in 15 years is a concern.

I meant in my city, not my house, Ed.
;-)
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Well, yeah. "Homicide" is the killing of one human by the agency of another. "Homicide," per se, is not illegal. Murder is one kind of homicide (the illegal kind) - self-defense is another (the meritorious kind)*.
Most of the homicide victims in my town needed killing, so it's not as bad as it seems at first blush.

I envy you. You've evidently gotten the ratio of do-bads to uprights down to the nuisance level.
Here, the maxim "The penis is mightier than the sword" (your enemies can breed faster than you can kill them) is on display (the axiom, not the penis).
------------------------------- * Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property;
Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) ... a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:
(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; [..] (C) was committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;

Sad to say, but the photographs are just incredible.
I appreciate all of the firefighter's efforts in controlling this fire.
I live in a rural area that has a fire hazard every summer. I just hope I never the day when these folks have to come out here.
You could not pay me enough to do this hard, dangerous work. I am glad that there are people who do.
MJ

6th pic down, Its not a Martin Mars its a Bombardier Canadair 415 Superscooper Amphibious Aircraft. The Martin Mars looks like a apartment block in the sky. The 415 is regular size aircraft. I dont think that the Mars will leave BC this year due to lack of parts and a possible sale of both aircraft.
Owen

Maybe it is a Mars after all?
http://www.examiner.com/x-11680-Wildfire-Examiner~y2009m9d3-Video-of-Martin-Mars-dropping-on-Mt-Wilson

The 415 is a twin engine. This Mars has 4.
"Owen Robb" wrote:

Correction:
The Mars is a 4 piston engine aircraft of 1940ish vintage is an amphibious aircraft that is spending the summer on Lake Ellsinore.
It was used specificifically where a high capacity water drop was needed.
It was amazing to watch that bad boy refill and then climb back into the sky.
There are also a pair of 415's on lease from Quebec.
Every little bit helps.
Lew