OT - Sen-Sen

Page 3 of 3
Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 3:49pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: We got our first in '52 ... remember the gray scale "Indian Chief" brightness/contrast adjustment screen that was on 20 hours a day? <snip> How times have changed since the camel stuck his nose under the tent.
We moved when I was in the 7th grade, and got a TV sometime after that. Before that all the neighborhood kids went to the only neighbor with a TV (and no kids) and watched the Lone Ranger. He'd hav watched it anyway, only had one station. But I still listened to the Green Hornet, Tarzan, The Shadow, Amos & Andy, Fibber McGee & Molly, Sgt Preston of the Yukon, and I don't know what all else.
Yep, now you can even buy a pocket size "color" TV, for about $100, maybe less. If I want to carry something along for entertainment it'll be a book, first choice, or a portable radio - they've got a 24 hour classical station her, when they don't ruin it with some opera - got nothing against opera, IF it's in English, just never saw the point of listening to singing in a language I can't understand. Come to that, the way a lot of the singers sing, operat or not, I can't understand them even if they're singing in English. .
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool
When one of the granddaughters was six, we took an overnight trip. Stopped and got out when I saw fireflies on the side of the road. She had never seen one, and I couldn't tell you the last time for me. Why don't we have them in the cities anymore?? DDT?
Small bottles were 2 cents and big ones were a nickel. We used to beg all the neighbors for newspapers and bottles, it would buy some candy and maybe a comic book, it almost made me cry when they went to 12. I can remember the ice man coming to sell us ice before the refrigerator and another man collected rags. When they told us to bring pens to school to learn cursive, it was a fountain pen.
Good memories! Gee, I'm getting old. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

... don't think it's pesticides. My wife has relatives in a small town in KS and we spent several summer nights where the kids were chasing fireflies. That small town is pretty aggressive regarding spraying for mosquitoes, can't imagine large cities using more in that regard -- may be habitat related.
BTW, definitely wouldn't be DDT anyway that's been banned for 30+ years; we won't even help the Africans spray with it to prevent malaria-caused deaths.

True enough. Habitat is likely the reason. They tend to hang around the tall grass and wet areas. Urban places invested a lot of money in their drainage.
Given the habits of certain members, I'm sure the feminists will blame the good old boys....
DanG wrote:

I live & garden in Detroit. I've got 'em. That might be because I garden organically ... but they had to have come from somewhere before they showed up here.
Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 11:46pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com (BillinDetroit) doth sayeth: I live & garden in Detroit. I've got 'em. That might be because I garden organically ... but they had to have come from somewhere before they showed up here.
We lived about 40 miles west of Detroit, first at the edges of a really small town, then moved about 5 miles, and about a mile out of a only slightly larger town. I never remember seeing ANY fireflies - until we visited kin in Tenn, and I was absolutely amazed at them..
That country road was a real treasure trove of beer bottles. My sister and I could pick up maybe once a week. There were always some there, and it wasn't too unusual for use to get $1-$2, at 2 cents a bottle, when we turned them in..
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool

We have a stream in the back and of a June evening the fireflies are so thick in the trees as to put you in mind of a christmas display.

I always liked the seers catalog. it was handy in the small house out back.
t.
J T wrote:

G'day all, Surprising, but being on the other side of the world and things weren't that much different. I used to collect bottles and we would get tuppence (2 Pennies) for large bottles and a penny for small ones. It was amazing how many lollies you could get for a couple of bottles. Around Cracker time bottles would be at a premium, as all the youngsters would collect them and save the pennies for crackers. Gees I miss Fireworks :( When TV came to town, (about 1967) we lived on a farm and the nearest "Big Town" was about 20 miles away pop. about 3000. it was a big moment. Dad came home and took us all into town that night and we joined a crowd standing on the footpath watching TV's in the shop window. The shop was across the road from one of the towns pubs so all the blokes were standing on the footpath watching telly and taking turns to go back into the pub and buy the beers. Women were not allowed into public bars back then. Yep the Good Ol' Days, Some Good, Some not so good, but only good memories.
regards John