OT - Sen-Sen

Sat, Mar 3, 2007, 11:06am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@nospamsyix.com (Roger=A0Shoaf) doth sayteth: The licorice ropes are still being made, 2 or 3 feet long. The candy cigaretts and pipes are still being made but I haven't seen them in stores for a long time but the web site that the OP posted for the sen sen sells a lot of the obscure candy.

The original poster has not taken time yet to look at all of the site. And one of the last things he needs is candy. The reason I know is because that's me But I'm willcheck it out and buy some anyway.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

You lived in a sacred town to a Yeungling drinker but I'll bet those Cokes were 6 1/2 Oz.

Can't get them anymore but you can get the 8 oz.

Reply to
tom watson

I'm with you, 6.5 OZ is what I remember.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I bought my kid brother a .22 single shot at Monkey Wards back around

1968 for something less than $35.

As for JOAT and his high falutin' Super-X... Well, sure you can spend more but even today (and I just just checked) I can buy Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR for $1.19 a box at Farm & Fleet. That's regular price. Even buying 10 boxes to make a brick that's only $11.90 and I know they're cheaper when sold as a brick. I don't recall them being as cheap in the early to mid-60's as JOAT does. I was thinking along the lines of $0.60-$0.75 a box for shorts, maybe a dime more for longs and long rifles still under a buck.

But you're right, JOAT, one could sure have a ball with a couple boxes of .22 cartridges. Last time I really kicked loose with some .22s was out in Oklahoma circa 1970. Vacationing and visiting a friend. Her father took us out to the family farm and they had a half acre "stock tank" which we call a pond back in Illinois. Pond had water moccasins and other vermin aplenty. We had a brick of .22's and semi-autos. Great way to spend an afternoon.

Not quite as much fun as "plinking" with fully suppressed H&K MP5 with sub-sonic rounds but close

Yeah, they did have a rather unique flavor, didn't they? I still like Ju-Ju-Be's (Sp?) Kinda tricky finding the ones that taste like the originals. They're out there but there seems to be some fluctuation in the recipe. Some taste like the originals, others are just too sweet.

Ah, the trials of life!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Would that be the American Licorice Co. in Union city or Freemont?

I used to drive a truck and I hauled several truckloads of their product.

My preference is for the red, but I like the black also. I remember getting a big tub of the red one time and every time I would walk by the table I would grab several of them without thinking too much about it. The next day I had a bit of a worry when I noticed the color of my discharge was rather red. At first I was thinking I was bleeding down there until I realized that it was all of the red licorice I ate the day before.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yes, headquarters in somewhere around Chicago.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Was thinking of my granddad telling us about buying boxes of ammo for 10 cents and a good rifle for $15 to $20. (Think that was in the 30's though)

Mark & Juanita

Sun, Mar 4, 2007, 12:26am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (Unquestionably=A0Confused) doth sayeth: As for JOAT and his high falutin' Super-X... Well, sure you can spend more but even today (and I just just checked) I can buy Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR for $1.19 a box at Farm & Fleet. That's regular price. Even buying 10 boxes to make a brick that's only $11.90 and I know they're cheaper when sold as a brick. I don't recall them being as cheap in the early to mid-60's as JOAT does. But you're right, JOAT, one could sure have a ball with a couple boxes of .22 cartridges. Last time I really kicked loose with some .22s was out in Oklahoma circa 1970. Not quite as much fun as "plinking" with fully suppressed H&K MP5 with sub-sonic rounds but close

Yeah, that's great plinking ammo, but you don't get real accuracy with that stuff. And the prices I was stating weren't from the mid '60s, rather mid '50s era.

The last time I really had a chance to do some really good .22 shooting was probably around 1980. Shooting at about 100 yards and my neighbor was using a scoped rifle. He got a bit miffed because I was outshooting him with a open-sighted High Standard Victor. Sure wish I had that now, but got stolen some years back. Got it while I was in Ft hood. The indoor range was about a block or two from my work and i used to go there on my luch you. They supplied weapons, or you could take your own, .22 only, and they'd let you hve 50 free rounds a day. Nice way to take a break.

I got ahold of an M2 carbine in Nam. POS full auto, usually jammed by the thrird round, but on semi it was totally reliable. Put a load of ammo thru it, and got good enough I could usually hit a soda can at 50 feet by at least the second shot, and then kept it moving - firing from the hip. Like I said, I put a LOT of ammo thru it. It was fun but I loved my M14.