OT science question

Sweet Sawdust
First thing that comes to my mind is why is not the other instructor doing her own work instead of benefitting from yours and ours?
Sort of like someone else doing my homework for me!!
Bob AZ

Sweet Sawdust
First thing that comes to my mind is why is not the other instructor doing her own work instead of benefitting from yours and ours?
Sort of like someone else doing my homework for me!!
Bob AZ I just found the question intriging and thought I would bring it up before the group and see how it flew. I don't think she has a preconcived answer to this it is a question and she is just throwing it around to see where it lands. Curran Copeland Sweet Sawdust
sweet sawdust wrote:

That would seem to have prejudged the conclusion, pretty much the antithesis of the scientific method.
How about she test whether the hypothesis can actually be verified to be so or not?

Where do I report where to send my degree having done the work?
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:16:10 -0500, "sweet sawdust"
I'm not. I don't know anyone who is.
Could it be that the premise is not statistically valid?
Frank

May not be and that may be the answer to the question, who knows? A lot of books and movies have been made on science from Frankinstien to the Swarm and all are scary. I think we are scared of "science" until we get used to the new idea and it proves not to be a boogy man under the bed. It was/is an interesting question to think on, sort of like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Where do you live, Frank? I can take you into a series of churches around here where everyone from the preacher on down (or up, given the parlous state of today's preacherdom amongst fundamentalist Protestants) espouses a hate for the results of scientific inquiry. You know, they're all good Christians, so they have to have something to hate. Science works for that, because they can't understand the difference between scientific theory and their theories that Saturday night dances are nothing but good, clean fun.
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 02:25:00 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

I trust that if I looked hard enough, I could find the same thing around here. My point is that the inference by the researcher is that a majority of the population holds those views. I think (or at least hope) not.
There will always be the extreme element on either side of any issue, but they don't represent the views of those who live in the massive middle of the bell curve.
Be careful around that third standard deviation Charlie :~)
Frank
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:16:10 -0500, sweet sawdust wrote:

I would comment, but the math is too hard.
Trust me on this: Way too many people equate science with the poor way they learned Mathematics.
And nobody will ever believe anyone who starts off with: "If I let one inch equal the time between now and the 1st Gulf war, then the equivalent in distance between now and the domestication of the dog is......"
(BTW: Everyone knows the 1st Gulf war was SO-o-o- last century and who cares about before that! OMG!!)
Phil
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:16:10 -0500, "sweet sawdust"

Howdy,
It seems to be an odd premise...
In fact, science, and scientists, are generally held in high regard.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

I am not a scientist. I have been around a long time and here are some of the things people have told me over the years and some of my own thoughts:
Well, let's see: -Scientists told us early on that AIDS wouldn't become a big deal. -In 1979 scientists told us the the earth was cooling off. Now they say its heating up. Hmmm. -I suspect it was scientist that recommended introducing the Japanese beetle (looks like a lady bug) to get rid of aphids or something. Now they are a major pest all over the part of the midwest where I live. - I just watched "Young Frankenstien last night. She should watch it to get the idea.
-In a "publish or perish" academic world, once a scientists project doesn't pan out, what are they to do? Answer: fudge the data so they get the degree, credit,______ etc.--- you fill in the blanks.
-As a commoner, I don't feel that all scientists are bad, just as I don't feel that all MD's are bad but, the "quality" of both scientists and MD's is probably normally distributed like many other things. This means that while, let's say, 5% of the "science" is super-duper, the 5% at the other end of the distribution is absolutely horrible. Unfortunately for scientists, those "ends" probably both get publicized with equal qusto, but by different methods.
-Lastly, I think they must teach a course to ALL "scientists" where they MUST learn to think of themselves as superhuman (better than everone else) and, by the way, infallible. This is the course where they are taught how to talk down to the rest of us in 10 syllable words and to make abstract jokes that only they can understand.
If she doesn't (or you don't) understand the above, it's because you have already taken the course I mention above.
Pete Stanaitis -------------------------------------
sweet sawdust wrote:

spaco wrote: ...

... I have much trouble recollecting that having come from the scientific and epidemiologic communities.
I do remember, otoh, some very specific political figures that were totally ignorant of the science who prevented many actions that would have had a major impact in reducing the spread.
I'd offer a rebuttal to most of the other points as well but simply not worthy the time/effort...

Here's a few thoughts, from someone who had to take certain classes because of the word "Science" in his degree name.
First, math is rarely seperable from science. Science is generally easy to understand (if you punch a wall, it will hurt), but mathematics get hard. Most people deal with this by avoiding mathematics, but you can only do that for so long before the science you want to use requires it.
So why are people afraid of science/scientists? Mathematics. Since most scientists use it every day, they're not afraid to break out the slide rule to explain something.
Going off-task here... The trouble with scientific mathematics is that scientists don't realize that implicit multiplication is NOT worth the cost. Without implicit multiplication, variables could be multiple letters, rather than a letter and maybe subscripts. So instead of K, we could have SPRING_CONSTANT (or is it k?). Implicit multiplication makes things harder than they have to be.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote: ...

I don't know what "implicit multiplication" is by that name, but certainly writing SPRING_CONSTANT everywhere in an expression is _NOT_ an answer to any problem with "scientific mathematics" (again, whatever your definition of that phrase is). Concise notation is critical in boiling down an otherwise excessively "busy" expression.
That things are complicated in some places is mostly a reflection of reality.
Puckdropper wrote:

Using single letter variable names one gets expressions that fill two boards sometimes. Using "SPRING_CONSTANT" and the like would make them much much longer and add no real clarity.
If you're having trouble with implicit multiplication wait until you get to nonlinear differential equations.
--John

Well, the obvious solution is to get a longer board. 2x4s are available in multiples of 2' at many lumber yards. ;-)
You can use insanely long variable names and add much noise. Or you can add enough extra letters to express what it is you're trying to express without adding extra noise. This way you won't have to either provide a legend of variables or hope you remember what all of them are. It sure helps when you put something away and come back to it later...
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

There are only so many boards that you can fit in a room.

And every step in the derivation you have to write all those extra letters and multiplication signs.
Your suggestion may sound fine from your viewpoint but from the viewpoint of someone who at one time in his life did mathematical analysis for a living it's a horror.
--John
Puckdropper wrote:

Or you could do what my favorite math prof did: as he wrote with his right hand, he erased with his left...
...and never ran out of board space. :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote: