OT science question

Page 2 of 7
Charlie Self wrote:

Good food for thought...
I was going along the "Science to back up my legislation" angle.
B A R R Y wrote:

If you put "some" in front of each of those, I could agree. As a general statement, I disagree wholeheartedly..

I had forgotten this thread. No, I wouldn't put "some" in front of those, but I can agree to changing it to "most."
Charlie Self wrote:

Charlie, it all depends on the group, both religious and scientific. "Some" may well be the best answer.
Deb

I daresay it usually depends a lot more strongly on the individual than on the group. There are *some* reasonable people in *almost* any group.
Spammers are the first exception that comes to mind...
--
FF

In article <9e8ac435-3f40-465b-ae39-77436f6e3600

"Religionists" like the AGWists? This doesn't look much like a woodworking post either Charlie.
--
Keith

B A R R Y wrote:

Then you understand neither science nor religion. Science is about *mechanism*. Religion is about *meaning and purpose*. Anyone who believes that these two systems of epistemology are inherently at odds is poorly informed.
snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com says...

It's when the two cross those lines (and both do) that things get ugly.
--
Keith

Gosh, are Scientists getting that vibe? I guess if they act like a politically swayed group, tend to be biased like politically swayed groups they must be a politically swayed groups. Where do they get their funding?
"Leon" wrote:

Totally immaterial to the process.
--
Lew Hodgett
Box 2302

You think, LOL. They too can be bought.
"Leon" wrote:

Precisely why funding MUST be totally immaterial to the process.
Perhaps a better choice of words would be "divoriced".
--
Lew Hodgett
Box 2302

Agreed, that they should not be paid by the political machine and the politicians. Gore certainly has a few on board to back up his business plan of selling snake oil.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You are dead wrong. The process is more-or-less neutral, but *what gets funding in the first place* is not. You can control information flow by simply not funding areas you don't like ideologically/politically.
P.S. I am a Computer Scientist by training - the theoretical kind, not the MIS kind - and I have personally watched the grant process. It utterly lays to waste your naive notions of impartiality.
The paper she has to

I believe that it is ignorance. People just don't know enough about science and how scientists work. To them, it's all "too complicated" or even in many ways their discoveries or technologies are in opposition of what they WISH to believe. If you're attacking someone's basic beliefs, to many that is frightening and dangerous.
In a related way, Michael Shermer, answers this question in his book "Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time"
I DAGS and found this review of the book that speaks to your friends question:
--
Even so, Shermer seems to have overlooked or underemphasized some
fundamental reasons why people believe weird things. Ignorance, for
sweet sawdust wrote:

A few things come to mind. They're loosely connected I suppose, but there could be a myriad of reasons why some people may be threatened by science or scientists. My interpretation would be "threatened by" rather than "afraid of". Maybe they're close enough to mean the same.
1. Previous perception of arrogance by "higher intellect" 2. The mystery of science unexplained is unknown, therefore a threat and/or fear. 3. Science might be at odds with religious beliefs, therefore creating an unsurpassable paradox. (ie. Evolution vs. strict biblical interpretation) 4. Results of science lead to lifestyle choices and/or changes. (ie belief global warming and the changes that ensues)
There's a starter list. I'm sure there are many more.
--

Tanus

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop /

can never trust what they say.
Curran Copeland wrote: ...

I would contend that particular fault is far more prevalent outside the scientific community than in.
I would also say if you really believe that publishing the results of research which are later either modified or maybe even rebutted simply indicates you don't understand the scientific process.

interesting. Not trying toprove anything myself just and interesting question no matter what the answer. Curran Copeland Sweetsawdust

Uh, sure. An example, please?