OT science question

Page 1 of 7
I am teaching a summer program at a local community college and one of the other instructors is working on her Dr's. degree. The paper she has to write asks the question: Why are we/people afraid of science/scienists? Would anyone like to comment on this? I will give her all the serious answers or remarks that any one would like to post before 9 pm Thursday evening. I thought that this might be a fun thing to vent about rather then the usual whose the worst candiate stuff going around.

I didn't know "we" are afraid of science/scientists!
Some, not all, are deserving of fear because they can be so involved in their pet project that they get involved in promoting it regardless of the consequences that the pet project can cause or result in, whether social, environmental, or financial to others, now or in the future.
EXT wrote: ...

Is that somehow restricted to scientists?

impartial, and to be led only by the facts. Unfortunately, they are only human, and big pharma, research funding, promotions etc, they all influence behavior.
I'm of course totally unbiased in my (our) research, but still hope that CD39 will fulfill its promises as an antithrombotic modality.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

That's why (amongst other reasons) there's replication and peer review...

Yes and it works more often than not <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Do you know Stoutman? <G>
Yes, Stoutman, the engine is still sitting on the workbench!
sweet sawdust wrote:

I'm not.
My best guess would boil down to contradictions between some religious beliefs and science, the fear of the unknown, and the inability or unwillingness of many to open the mind and ask questions.
Many religions tend to discourage questions and gaining understanding of the "why" outside of the accepted religious teachings. To ask questions in such a setting is blasphemous and unfaithful.
Non-religious folks might be truly afraid of things, so they don't want to know. For instance, extra terrestrial life, or the potential for large scale natural disaster or disease. It's much more relaxing not to think about this stuff!
Still others be afraid of looking stupid when they can't immediately understand a concept. Further pursuit of knowledge, which also requires effort, is too easy not to do.
I tend to lean towards the Buddhist view of science with religion, which is we are a delicate part of the big picture. We MUST question "why?" in order to try and understand it all and move forward.
Then there's the way science has become politicized...

Actually, IMO, it is the way religion has been politicized. Scientists don't object to anyone's belief in a god. Religionists do object to anyone believing in scientific findings. It has been that way throughout history.

Well now Charlie, that's one of the worst things I've ever seen you post. Of course scientists object to people's belief in a god. That happens on a daily basis, among an outspoken segment of the scientific community. You hear all sorts of slanderous comments associated with the beliefs of "religious" people - things like "fear", "irrational", "uneducated", etc. Likewise, Religionists can often do the same. Either camp is equally guilty of the same behaviors and either camp is equally populated with those who don't succumb to that type of behavior. It's not a science vs. religion thing - it's a human nature thing. There are those who can be comfortable with ideas outside of their own beliefs and understandings, and there are those who can't. The former recognizes that they don't and can't know everything, the latter hasn't figured that out yet. Both science and religion can be found fighting within their own little camps. It's the human nature at work - not the issue of science vs. anything else.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

As someone who lives amongst the fundamentalists, I guess my point is influenced by their proximity. There are scientists around here, too, of course, but mostly they keep a low profile.
You want a religious fight? Put three Southern Baptists together and get them to discuss theology. Hide the weapons first.
Charlie Self wrote:

You want a *real* religious fight? Put three scientists in a room and ask them to demonstrate why their particular areas of research are more worthy of funding than the other two. You're kidding yourself. Science has been elevated as a secular religion and the moronic and ill-educated public continues to buy into it.

Agreed. As one who holds what I call fundamental beliefs (though that is not to be confused with what the term fundamentalist has become today), and one who has plenty of room for the findings of the sciences, the ironclad ideology of both sides frustrates me. I have a keen appreciation for a good argument and the inclusive point, counter point of good discussion - when either side slides into their own form of intellectual dishonesty I just hate it. A good argument stands on its own and does not need bolstering. If it doesn't - it ain't a good argument. It's just a cat-fight. Now that's something else all together - well worth the watching, just not to be taken seriously. Swingman - that's your cue to enter, stage left...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I have only one ironclad belief, and that is that everyone and anyone should believe what he/she/they want, with the only proviso that subscribing to this notion is a precondition for my respect. This includes automatically that I won't bother you with my beliefs, and you should not bother me with yours. Discussing beliefs is a totally different matter that is completely up to the consent of all discussants.

I'm not sure whether I subscribe totally to that. I believe <grin> that catfights may have losers who physically get hurt, and that is not my idea of a good argument <big grin>.

--
Best regards
Han
Mike Marlow wrote:

There is also a segment that points out that you can't disprove it either.
I'm not choosing a side, but simply stating there are plenty of scientists on either side.
B A R R Y wrote:

You know how the theomarketing scammers go on about how the Big Bang is contrary to the Bible? Well the guy who came up with it was a priest, and not some mail order priest either, a Roman Catholic priest who later became head of the Vatican's Academy of Science. Newton was more interested in theology than physics--he always saw physics as a sideline. Darwin was studying for the priesthood, however it seems that he couldn't reconcile what he observed on the Beagle expedition with the views that were held by the Anglican dogma at the time, so he bailed on religion.
--John
J. Clarke wrote: ...

That is certainly taking Newton out of the context of the period in which he lived...
dpb wrote:

Would you care to explain that remark?
Before you do you might want to google "newton theology".
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I am pretty well educated in both theology and science. I know of no/few people of faith that deny the Big Bang theory and most I know defer to scientists. If you want to see a major scam, take a look at the people peddling Global Warming as a huge threat to humanity.
B A R R Y wrote:

There are no "sides" if the issues are properly understood. Faith systems and empirical systems are complementary not contradictory.