OT:/ say what?

Sometimes stuff cracks me up and I feel the need.... the NEED, I tell ya, to share:

Robatoy

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:13:44 +0100, Robatoy wrote (in article ):

WHAT prompted you to look it up?

--The rec.w group therapy subcommittee

Reply to
Bored Borg

Somebody on my other hang-out brought it up... honestly. (Fark.com)

PS.. I am only a Fark reader.. I seldom post, but do enter the Photoshop contests often. (Best place 3rd and I am some proud of that as some of these photoshoppers are a-frickin'-mazing.) Fark wouldn't interest too many here.. it's a bit whacky.

Reply to
Robatoy

As I tell the younger people in my life: You can have a tattoo when you have a patch over your eye and a parrot on your shoulder.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I tell them "You wouldn't want the same picture on your wall for the rest of your life - why on earth would you want one on your body?"

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

"Mekon" wrote

I am always amazed that some many people tatoo things on themselves to "remember" things. Is this to offset dementia?

I have screwed up enough in life, I don't really want to remember. I would just as soon remain blissfully unaware of the past and live in the present and future.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Just the thought of having the portrait of my 2 exes anywhere on my body...*shudder*

Reply to
Robatoy

Just the thought of having the portrait of my 2 exes anywhere on my body...*shudder*

Not only that, how would the current missus deal with that sort of thing?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Especially when the rose on the boob becomes long stemmed and the cute dolphin becomes a whale..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"cracks" you up? pun intended?

jc

Reply to
joe

Or when that tramp stamp looks like a pair of bent handlebars, one on each cheek...

Eeeck!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Dammit, man... I was eating when I read that......

Reply to
Robatoy

Just the thought of having an ex' lawyer, much less two, makes me=20 shudder. ;-)

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

I got my tattoo nonsense out of the way quickly, something over 50 years ago. A small blue "Russ" (short for my middle name) on my right upper arm, because I was p[issed at my old man at the time (and I'm a junior) I got out of Parris Island. Thus, first bar I hit outside Lejeune let me get juiced enough to head for the tatto "artist." Back then, the Marine Corps had a rule saying the tattoo could NOT show when you were in uniform. Today, I think it now says that recruiters cannot have shirt-sleeve style tattoos any more...who in hell would sit still for that? Evidently, enough to be a problem.

Today, I look at that slightly stretched and faded mess on my arm and scratch my head. Then I realize all these kids I see running around today will be doing the same in 40-50 years, some after decades of trying to hide the things (mine is covered nicely whenever I wear a shirt). I see young women, girls really, bend over and their tops ride up and some kind of odd pattern flow up from the cracks of their asses...there are dozens of these visible around here, everyone under

38 seems to wear tops and jeans and underwear that doesn't come close to meeting, so the view is always there, and particularly extensive when they bend forward even a little.

God knows what some of that stuff will look like as the sags of age set in.

I guess I should be glad I didn't follow the lead of some of my companions at ITR: a cherry, with "Here's Mine, Where's Yours" arced around it; Death Before Dishonor wrapped around a dagger; one idiot who had a mosquito tattoed on the head of his dick; a tiger clawing the arm; a USMC emblem, full color, taking up the upper arm. Or like one I saw on a young Navy guy when I was in the VA hospital about eight or nine years ago: he had a stork on his back, with the head peering up and over his right shoulder.

Some of this seems to be due to a strange kind of non-pressure from peers. If it's weird, it's fine. When I was a kid, we'd maybe buy a pair of saddle-stitched, pegged pants, frow sideburns and comb our hair into a DA, with plenty of oil. We'd wear them a few weeks while drawing odd looks, and then slide the things in the closet, from whence they never came again. The hair might last a bit longer (I got rid of mine the day I enlisted...shaved, got a crew cut, and wouldja believe, the barbers at PI still found enough to take some off). Today, some idiot sees Sean Penn's huge back tattoo in "Mystic River" and there are thousands clamoring to get a permanent signature of apishness on their own backs. It CAN'T go back in the closet. It's there forever...or at least as long as the back it's on lasts.

Ugh.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I dunno, but for some of this full back/full front (or nearly so) junk, I'm not sure laser surgery would be affordable (or sane). I'm also not sure how well it would do in removing ink-stained tissue and not leaving a scar. Better than a scalpel, sure, but if someone were to scalp you, would you really care whether it was done neatly or super-neatly? I'm with you on the scars, though. What with one thing and six others, I sometimes think I've got a touch more scar tissue than other kinds on fairly large portions of the ol' carcass.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I wonder how much effect laser surgery (the removal of a tattoo) has on the decision to get a tattoo these days? From time to time I've considered that surgery for the tattoo on my upper arm, but when I consider the wrinkles, scars and marks on other places on my body, I discard the idea as a complete waste of money.

Reply to
Upscale

You guy should take a tour thru parts of Los Angeles where the Mexican Mafia/gangs hold forth.

It would appear that full body tattoos are req'd for membership including the scalp.

As part of getting out of the gangs, there are tattoo removal programs set up just so somebody can go for a job interview.

Fully tattooed bodies don't get many job interviews

Have no idea what long term effects of tattoo removal are.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As I understand it, laser surgery dissolves the dye pigment under the skin. Ideally, there shouldn't be any scars at all other than what might have been done initially by the needle insertion of the dye when getting the tattoo originally.

As to long term effects, I guess laser surgery hasn't been around long enough to gauge whether long term complications exist.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote

And lasers are only effective agains certain colors.

Reply to
Lee Michaels