OT: Sad Story

A sad day in Manchester. A dedicated police officer and a family man.
This will be a death penalty case.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/10/18/new_hampshire_police_officer_dies_of_his_wounds /
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:15:31 -0400, Joe Bemier wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/10/18/new_hampshire_police_officer_dies_of_his_wounds /
I read: "Lynch ordered that US and state flags be flown at half-staff. About 100 officers saluted Briggs as the flag was lowered at departmental headquarters, which is draped in black bunting."
And emerged puzzled. How is it that a Governor can order that Federal flags are to fly at half-mast. Such an order appears to be in excess of hi authority since such an act indicates not just a state (where he was acting within his authority) in mourning but a nation in mourning.
Can anyone clarify this for me?
Bill

Yes, re-read the story. Here is a quote from it: "Lynch ordered that US and state flags be flown at half-staff. About 100 officers saluted Briggs as the flag was lowered at departmental headquarters, which is draped in black bunting."
Note that it says "US flags". I fly a US flag in front of my house. We have a US flag at work. We have a US flag at our local police station, our schools, our state capitol, and most every state building in the state. On a second flag pole, they often have a State flag flying also. If they are on a state building, they can be ordered to half mast by our Governor. .
IMHO
The federal flags are flown by state agencies, which are responsible to the state govenor.
That said, I don't know if federal facilities wouldn't go along with the state out of respect.
Andy