OT: Router bit deals

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Spent almost 30 years in Oak Ridge, TN, <30 mile from K-town, home of the Tennessee Vols. Football talk radio is nearly 24/7, 365 days a year. We've been gone 10 now and every time we return to visit daughter/g-daughters in Maryville and tune to John Wilkerson & Jimmy Hyams it's as though the conversation hasn't changed a bit since were there full time...
Neyland Stadium seats over 100K...I'm not sure who's ahead in the continual leapfrog race w/ Michigan for the largest stadium; it changes frequently.
As for expenses, the outlay for student athletes is considerable even if not in direct salary; the value of a full-ride scholarship is not inconsequential. In addition, major D-I football programs subsidize every one of the minor sports in all programs and even mens' basketball in all except a very limited number of programs. Virtually none are fully self-sustaining in revenues w/o alumni support and particularly TV revenues--it's why the conference realignments of recent times and again this year are occurring in large part.

Same thing here.

Penn State's Beaver Stadium is right up there, only 200 seats behind Michigan and a 3000 ahead of Neyland. ;-)

The top football schools certainly are self-funding (capital construction expenses likely not, though). As you point out, they (usually football and basketball) pay the freight for all the rest of the sports programs.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Unless revenues:expenses have changed markedly for the better, I don't think so from simply game revenues they cover expenses even for the majors. Didn't used to be so, certainly.
Without alumni support and particularly TV revenue and licensing revenues, last I looked other than two or three at the outside (UT-Austin is, but they have outside revenue from oil royalties as does the whole UT system that puts them in a completely different ball game compared to any other institution I'm aware of) actually are ahead simply on ticket revenues.
Now, if they only had to support a de minimus football program (and could keep the same fan support and therefore ticket prices and attendance which is extremely unlikely for the long term) and weren't also supporting Title IX and all, then, _maybe_...
I doubt think more than the top 10-20 or so basketball programs break even and at one time when I did a fair amount of looking into it although it's been quite a while ago now, there were only about four -- UK, Duke, UNC and KU. But, the do all still play on hardwood floor to keep on topic... :)

They did thirty years ago and they do at the majors now (they've added TV revenue inbetween). When I was at UIUC they claimed the sports programs were self-sustaining, and here at Auburn they are, too, at least according to the interviews on the local talk shows. ...and forget about teams like Notre Dame.

TV revenue is part of the sports program, no?

Nope, $35M + TV and radio revenue is a *lot* of money.

Nope. A *lot* of them make money. Many schools sell out big domes. UIUC always sold out (17K), I'm sure Syracuse does pretty well too. There is TV and tournament revenue there, too. Down here in the South, probably not so much.

I am not sure, but I *think* excluding football would be illegal. Certainly a sign of bad and suspicious character.
Around here it isn't natural to not be interested in two or three teams as a minimum. Passing knowledge of several state/local/ professional teams is certainly a must, as from time to time you will be called on to join in a good cussing of them when they do something dumb. You can give a convincing performance if you don't know some names!
Additionally, we have a LOT of duffers that debate the nuances of their favorite game amongst themselves for hours on end. Talk about some mellow guys...
Frequent topics for discussion:
- ANY sport except soccer and women's professional basketball - Kids did something good; accepted to college, got a scholarship, did something mature for a change, got a new job, etc. - I love my wife/girlfriend/new squeeze because she "............." - A new restaurant - New cigars - Barbecue (this is a really hotly debated subject - I mean that seriously) - Local politics are actually OK since >everyone< agrees our guys are all idiots - Cowboy movies (older guys like John Wayne, younger guys split between The Duke and Eastwood) - Hunting - Local entertainment (a couple of jazzbos like me in the group) - Is Jessica Alba hotter than Sela Ward (split along age lines there) - We have three guys with sons in Afghanistan on the front. We always make sure they know we care - Ditto with one club member soldier going back in October, and one in November - Fishing - Bourbon - Scotch - All types of music
We actually have a very active Bible study group that calls themselves "The Holy Smokers!". Bad pun, I know. But they keep it all to themselves and they go to their meetings to discuss their views and become enlightened.
Everyone leaves that place happy.
Robert
Robert wrote:

Certainly a sign of bad and suspicious character.
Around here it isn't natural to not be interested in two or three teams as a minimum. Passing knowledge of several state/local/ professional teams is certainly a must, as from time to time you will be called on to join in a good cussing of them when they do something dumb. You can give a convincing performance if you don't know some names! ------------------------------------------ The folks in NE Ohio can commensurate with your group.
As a kid the Cleveland Browns were my team.
Otto Graham was quarterback and for ten (10) years from '46 thru '56, was a time when the Browns WON and then "Otts" retired.
Starting in '57, the Browns didn't win any more except in '64.
1960 and Art Modell comes to town and buys the Browns with other peoples money.
1964 and Paul Brown (The team was named after him) is gone as coach and the Browns win the championship.
Fast forward to the '90s when carpetbagger Model moves to Baltimore.
During those 40+ years, the only winner was Model, not the Browns.
Home games were played in Municipal Stadium, with 80,000+ seating capacity.
Season ticket holders had every seat between the 30 yard lines.
Sell out crowds were standard.
Being a winning team was not.
Loge boxes were added, but limited.
Cleveland knocks down Municipal Stadium and builds a new stadium on the old site with lots of loge boxes.
Cleveland gets a replacement team.
It's not a winner either.
During football season, the TV sports programs spend all week crying in their beer.
If you are a sports fan in NE Ohio, ya gotta be tough.
Lew