OT: Roger Ebert on bullies.

Page 3 of 4

Well! If you're going to invoke Coulter...well..
"Glen" wrote

I think it interesting and humorous that anyone would find Coulter's writings worthy of quoting; interesting from a psychological point of view and humorous in the practical sense.
Max
Robatoy wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/10/countdown-beats-oreilly-f_n_106298.html Question #1: He's an aggregator of A.C. Nielson number.
Question #2:
You'll note the qualifier in your reference: "This marks the first time that MSNBC has beaten Fox News in O'Reilly's 8pm time slot [for the 25-54 age group] since June 2001.
Another interesting tabulation for June 18th: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/06/19/cable-news-tv-ratings-for-thursday-june-18/21119#more-21119
8PM - P2+ (25-54) (35-64) O'Reilly Factor Classic -3,246,000 viewers (762,000) (1,357,000) CNN Money Summit-418,000 viewers (111,000) (131,000) Countdown with K. Olbermann - 1,201,000 viewers (414,000) (619,000) CNBC Reports- 116,000 viewers (44,000) (61,000) Nancy Grace - 859,000viewers (288,000) (391,000)
As you can see, O'Reilly, with 3.2 million viewers, outperformed CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, and CNN-Headline combined (2.6 million).
I suspect the Huffington Post article which you referenced was an outlier, possibly having something to do with Olbermann doing the whole show, that one night, in a swim suit (Thank God it wasn't a Speedo!).

You just snuggle up to Rush, Beck, Billo. Newt. If that is reality to you...good luck.... oh and Nancy Grace..she's on CNN right?
Robatoy wrote:

[Nancy Grace is on CNN-Headline]
I take your statement to be some kind of insult. You asked a question of how O'Reilly compared to Oberman. I provided industry-standard tabulations. And that engenders some form of approbation? Although, to be fair, your insult, if it was an insult, is not nearly as excited as some you've directed at others who disagree with your position. For that, I'm sort of grateful. (Hey, I believe in rewarding positive changes in behavior!)
It's my experience that conservatives (like me) debate with facts (i.e., Nielson numbers) and liberals debate with emotions ("I feel your pain," "Hope," "Change," etc.)...
From a Transactional Analysis point of view, we conservatives generally (try to) communicate in an adult-to-adult vector, while the liberals are often in either a parent-to-child (words like "must," "should," "duty") or child-to-child mode ("Whee!," "Fuck-it!," or "asshole!").
Unfortunately, "Hope" is not a strategy; "Change" is not a tactic.

I'd like to see your facts to back that statement up.

I'd also like to see data for this.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

As I said, it's my experience. However a recent study (last August) of blog comments found that "progressive" blogs showed 12 times more profanity than "conservative" blogs. http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/07/profanity-greater-on-liberal-blogs/print /

Well, according to the TA mantra, profanity is evidence of a "child" communication. In my youth I was a Teaching Fellow of the American Transactional Analysis Association and recall that expressions of emotions come from the "Child" ego state: Love, hate, anger, joy, are all "Child" ego state actions. You can often tell the ego state of an individual by the words they use. Here're some examples:
Parent: "Must," "should," "ought to," and virtually all moral judgements and imperative commands Adult: "Possibly," "seems to me," "it could be that," "maybe," any undisputed fact ("it's ten o'clock") Child: "Wow," "fuck off," "damn it," "oooh," "eek!," "I dare you," "I love you too."
Nothing, however, is black-and-white. It's possible to find an excitable conservative, such as Mark Levine, or a mellow liberal. In fact, you can find lots of mellow liberals. I suspect that virtually ALL liberals mellow-out from time to time - or most of the time - especially on the week-ends while wearing fake batik-print dresses and Birkenstocks and especially on the west coast and especially amongst unemployed history or women's studies majors and especially within the group who are prohibited from donating blood.

"HeyBub" wrote:

You obviously missed the full educational experience.
Profanity, as practiced by the accomplished, is an art form to be held in awe.
Until you have been dressed down by a master, you can't truly appreciate the art form.
Lew

Fuck them, Lew.
Robatoy wrote:

    :-)
"Robatoy" wrote:

Come now Rob, you can do better than that.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Art is in the eye, or this case, the ear, of the beholder.
I had a supervisor once who cussed me out of some imagined fault. He went on and on for what seemed like forever and I don't think he repeated himself once!
At the time I was insufficiently schooled in this mysterious "art," and, as he was gathering a second wind, I merely responded: "You will talk to me like a professional or I will hit you so hard your dog will die."
He blinked once or twice, then said: "You're fired!"
So I hit him.
I did it for the children.
HeyBub wrote:

Did his dog die?
The guy needs to hang around with some Marines for a while. Until you've been dressed down by a Marine general you really don't know the meaning of the term. Speaking in conversational tones and with excruciating courtesy he manages to make you feel like you should be looking up to pond scum.
Since I'm sure someone is going to ask--the guy was a college professor at the time, he had retired from the Marines several years before.
"HeyBub" wrote:
"You will talk to me

Did his dog die as a result of your lack of will power?
Lew

Can't have a dialog with a dog, so you have to kill it. That is always their (The Limurgian Billos) solution. And if a dog COULD talk? They wouldn't listen...because...well..errrmm...it's a dog!
Why do you find it necessary to divide people into gross categories of conservative and liberal and, in particular, without offering any definition of the terms?
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

Because by deciding whether something is a tree or a rock, based on one or two known attributes, one can easily attach all the remaining attributes without having to test each one.
For example, if someone says to me: "I'm a vegetarian but I eat eggs because I support a woman's right to choose," I can immediately affix a whole host of other characteristics to that person.

Those who immediately affix a whole host of other characteristics to a person based on limited observation is a fool.
Robatoy wrote:

So, if Ramseh al-BoomBoom points a gun at you and screams "Die, infidel pig!" is your response: "Before we continue this conversation, please complete this abbreviated Minnesota Multiphasal Personality Inventory," humming the tune "Getting To Know You" while he labors with the stub of a #2 pencil (please fill the ovals completely).
Or do you just shoot him in the eye and go about your business?
HeyBub wrote:

Well, if he decides to complete the personality inventory that buys time for the cops to arrive so _they_ get to be the ones who have to fill out all the forms pertinent to shooting someone in the eye.