OT: Robatoy Final Farewell

I am sure that by now one of the regulars whose friendships meant the world= to Rob (Karl, Han, or Morris) have informed you of the great loss of my sw= eet man, Rob known to most of you as only Robatoy.

You perhaps have wondered how he ended up with such a 'silly' handle/ nickn= ame. If you got to spend any time here with him online you would have autom= atically seen his incredible sense of humour and wit, besides his intellige= nce and desire to help.

When Rob and I started dating 13+ years ago, my daughter was only 6 years o= ld. She and Rob formed the most incredible bond immediately. Rob knew that = to enjoy life, you need to have fun and who better to have fun with then ch= ildren. Robatoy is the nickname that Emily assigned Rob 13+ years ago. It's= a nickname that has always been near and dear to him, so his decision to u= se it here, speaks to the importance this group was to him.

I wanted to thank all of you who shared some of yourself, your skill, your = wisdom, but most of all those of who shared your friendships with Rob. Whet= her you were sponsoring him in his 'Survivor Walk' at the Relay for Life Wa= lk this past summer, or you were sending him e-cards when he was in the hos= pital. You brought him much joy and he appreciated you all so very much. I = felt it important for you to know that.

Sometimes we go a long our way in life be in real time, or online and our p= aths cross with people, we interact with them and maybe, just maybe we thin= k about them at some point through the day. I guess what I am trying to say= , don't EVER underestimate the effect you have on another human being. Rob'= s life was made richer by each of you and for that, I will be forever grate= ful.

I also wanted to share with you, a link to Rob's obituary, for those who ma= y be interested. I hope it helps you see that Robatoy was an incredible man= and I hope you will remember him fondly.

?oId=3D669862I also have one last request, for any of you here who are smokers. I beg an= d I plead with you, for your families, please make this the year you quit s= moking. Rob quit 12 years ago and he should have been 'free and clear' from= the effects, but he wasn't. If ever you wanted yet one more reason to quit= , I challenge you to make the best memorial donation you could ever could p= ossibly make in Rob's honour. Quit Smoking.

Sorry for the long post, but the Wrec was important to Rob and I know if he= had been able, he himself would have posted his own Final Farewell and it = would have included his favourite saying and a testament to how he tried to= live his life. "Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never= be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, and Live like it's Heaven on = Earth."

God Bless you all. Robatoy's Wife (Angela)

Reply to
Robatoy's Wife

Simply, Thank you, Angela.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

had been able, he himself would have posted his own Final Farewell and it would have included his favourite saying and a testament to how he tried to live his life. "Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, and Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

I heard someone say years ago that you should "lean into your grief, for it will support you". Please know that you have others willing to help provide reinforcement in that regard should you need it.

And God bless you, so aptly named Angela, for the inner strength you have shown during this time is befitting an Angel ... and may those very same continue to help you in that task.

Reply to
Swingman

What a great post! We are all honored that you took the time to write this to us. I really enjoyed talking shop and debating politics and beer with Rob, as well as ribbing each other on occasion. :-) Thank you so much for this final farewell message!

Reply to
-MIKE-

Angela, thanks for the beautiful post. I quit smoking about the same time Rob did.

So in his memory I am joining a local group here, Turners for Cancer Research.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Thank you so much.

Reply to
Robert Allison

forever grateful.

If you will recall, in a message I sent a few weeks ago I said that his spirit would always be with you and your family. This is the proof.

he himself would have posted his own Final Farewell and it would have included his favourite saying and a testament to how he tried to live his life. "Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, and Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Through you, he did.

God bless you.

Reply to
Leon

I am sure that by now one of the regulars whose friendships meant the world to Rob (Karl, Han, or Morris) have informed you of the great loss of my sweet man, Rob known to most of you as only Robatoy.

You perhaps have wondered how he ended up with such a 'silly' handle/ nickname. I also wanted to share with you, a link to Rob's obituary, for those who may be interested. I also have one last request, for any of you here who are smokers. I beg and I plead with you, for your families, please make this the year you quit smoking.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for the "Robatoy" explanition.

It fits.

I quit smoking in January 1978, after smoking for almost 30 years.

I wake up each day admitting I'm a nicotine addict and must remain vigilant.

As a result, I will walk up to complete strangers and ask why in this day and age they re still smoking?

Don't know if it makes an impact, but I feel better.

Once again, thank you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

[...]

plantation. I hope it will be well cared for, as well.

plead with you, for your families, please make this the year you quit smoking. Rob quit 12 years ago and he should have been 'free and clear' from the effects, but he wasn't. If ever you wanted yet one more reason to quit, I challenge you to make the best memorial donation you could ever could possibly make in Rob's honour. Quit Smoking.

I made the wonderful decision do quit smoking in February of 1988 and have never looked back. It's just not fair that cancer reached out and took an ex-smoker.

been able, he himself would have posted his own Final Farewell and it would have included his favourite saying and a testament to how he tried to live his life. "Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, and Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Nah, not long at all. Besides, he deserved it.

May your grieving be short and full, and your life ahead be smooth. Bless you, too, Angela. Rob purely adored you, it was plain to read. I'm sure he's missing you, too.

Hey, where'd all this salt water come from?

-- I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left! --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am sure that by now one of the regulars whose friendships meant the world to Rob (Karl, Han, or Morris) have informed you of the great loss of my sweet man, Rob known to most of you as only Robatoy.

You perhaps have wondered how he ended up with such a 'silly' handle/ nickname. If you got to spend any time here with him online you would have automatically seen his incredible sense of humour and wit, besides his intelligence and desire to help.

snip Sorry for the long post, but the Wrec was important to Rob and I know if he had been able, he himself would have posted his own Final Farewell and it would have included his favourite saying and a testament to how he tried to live his life. "Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, and Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

God Bless you all. Robatoy's Wife (Angela)

Our sincere sympathy's for your loss and a very BIG thank you for both your post and for sharing Robatoy for all these years, as his contributions to the group both entertained and educated us as well....his hints, tips and shared knowledge has a special place in my saved folder.....Thanks Rod

Reply to
Rod Jacobson

It's always hard to lose the good ones.

Thank you for writing, he was lucky to have had you.

Reply to
dadiOH

[...]

A life well-lived. My heartfelt condolences.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Angela -

I think but I can't be sure that I met you and Rob at a woodworking show in Ontario 2 or 3 years ago. I was talking to the folks from Lee Valley thanking them for Robin being on this newsgroup and the great tools they turned out. And someone said "It is the least they can do" and started chuckling. I ended up asking if they were part of the newsgroup and he replied yes. We talked for 5 or 10 minutes about the newsgroup and wood working. If you are the same people I met that day, all I can say is I remember the conversation and the friendliness of it all.

I am very sorry to see Robatoy gone from this group. If there is ever anything I can do, don't hesitate.

Reply to
Doug Houseman

Thank you so much Angela for seeking us out and sharing your thoughts. All too often in this particular domain (the Usenet newsgroups) people drift away or disappear and you never really know what became of them, but in this case I knew that wasn't going to happen. Rob was a special personality and you didn't have to know him for very long to know that his family must also be very special indeed! If any man were so lucky to have a wife like "Mrs. Robatoy", then they would certainly understand why Rob claimed to be "the luckiest man on the planet." God bless you, Angela.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Ditto above, and god bless you Angela.

Rgds, Phil.

Reply to
<address_is

"Robatoy's Wife" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Angel Angela, you, Emily and Rob are posterchildren for what human beings should be and do. You will be forever in my thoughts at an exalted place.

I quit smoking on November 16, 1976, and though there were a few difficult times, I have already for a very long time whatsoever no hankering for cigarettes anymore. But I know that touching one will be disastrous for me, so I don't. It is that simple.

Reply to
Han

Wow ... my watershed day was November 16, 1991, at 1:30AM.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:1LWdnWXqoKA2bG_NnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I started my job in New York October 1. First item on the agenda was writing a grant application to supplement my salary. It was due November

15, and was hand-delivered to 42nd Street. I finished the last pack I needed to write the grant and quit. Oh, yeah, the grant was for the New York City chapter of the American Heart Association, and I did get it.
Reply to
Han

I was sick, drenched from high fever and being under lights on stage, but still walked blocks, in freezing rain, to get my precious brand because the club we were playing didn't have them ... such a stupid, idiotic circumstance that even I couldn't escape it.

Reply to
Swingman

My last cigarette was New Year's Eve 1975 (after 20 years of 40 per day) but for years after I had dreams in which I had started smoking again (accompanied by feelings of despair) but I have never been tempted when awake.

Reply to
Bob Martin