OT - Richard Pryor - RIP

A sad story. Immensely talented--possibly the funniest comic I ever heard. Followed the too-much-money-too-soon path common to celebrity and fried his body while trying to fry his brain.

The ultimate irony was survinving that only to fall victim to a slow acting debilitating disease.

Another candidate for the John Belushi memorial "you could have made us laugh for years, but, n-o-o-o-o" award.

Reply to
LRod

Yep, definitely funny. Certainly more funny than some of his successors, such as Eddie Murphy. Murphy always struck me as this kid, looking at the audience like he was looking at his parents or other superiors, just trying to find out how much he could get away with saying. Watching some of his concerts on HBO and others in the 80's, he would tell a joke, then look at the audience with that "gee, I wonder if I'll get slapped for this one" look.

Mark & Juanita

He's way up there, that's for sure. There are many funny comics and comedians. (The difference being that a comic says things funny, and a comedian says funny things.)

In my eyes Pryors a giant, a view not shared by everybody. It is such a personal call. The top is very wide in that category. Even Jerry Lewis is funny when he's not trying to be.

But don't pay any attention to me...I'm the guy who thinks Nathan Lane is one of the funniest people alive...no wait.. Charlie Callus is the funniest....Carson?? Or was it Jonathan Winters? Richard Jeni... yes Jeni cracks me up... did I mention Carlin? I meant to say Lee Evans.. (Mouse Hunt is VERY funny.. in spots..) I just KNOW I'm missing a few hundred...

Anyway.. we lost a very talented guy. He will be missed.

Oh... then there is Ron James who got a slice of ham so thin once, that the pig didn't even know it was missing from his arse.

Reply to
Robatoy

Wanda Sykes!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Much of his stuff was just reworked trash, but he could be funny. Did you see his network show, both episodes? It was the best TV I have seen, so I guess it didn't stand a chance.

Reply to
Toller

Eugene McCarthy also died today - at 82.

Both men tried to change things - for the better - and did.

Not a bad obit for my money.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

My favorite line about thin meat has always been, "...it was so thin it only had one side."

I've used that for so long, I don't even remember now if I heard it from someone else or if I made it up myself...I wish...

Reply to
LRod

Better yet, the Seinfeld episode where Kramer got the deli meat slicer - "It's all surface area, Jerry, there's no place for the flavor to hide!"

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I personally never found Pryor all that funny - seemed like he just cussed for the sake of cussing.

Now HE was funny. Great physical comedian. He could draw laughs with a joke, body language, or just a facial expression. The SNL show where he did the Joe Cocker impersonation side-by-side with Cocker is still one of my favorites. But to this day, nobody can reduce me to tears like Sam Kinison when he got on a roll.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Remember the samurai chef? :)

Reply to
CW

I don't get into discussions about who is the funniest comic bvecause it is so personal and so subjective. For every Bill Cosby fan there's a Woody Woodbury (remember him?) fan as well.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

"Mizz Rudolph could you please do somethin' 'bout dis monkey"

"I don't have ta do nuttin' 'bout da monkey. Da monkey live here.

You just visitin'"

(Is It Something I Said, 1975)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Lee Gordon apparently said,on my timestamp of 11/12/2005 9:40 AM:

and sorely missed.

Reply to
Noons

Wherever he is, I betcha' he's still low-runnin'.

Reply to
Doug Payne

I'll be using this...

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't look now, but I think you just did.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Cap backwards, yessir.

Reply to
wood_newbie

I find this combination of sentiments somewhat odd. There is hardly a better example of cussing for the sake of cussing than Kinison. Pryor was the guy who cleared the path for Kinison and so many others like him. I thought they were both pretty damn funny.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Years ago he almost died when that cigarette lighter accidently lit in his pants pocket. Remember?

Reply to
George G