OT - Richard Pryor - RIP

Page 1 of 2

Died today, age 65.

_________________________________
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:40:28 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

A sad story. Immensely talented--possibly the funniest comic I ever heard. Followed the too-much-money-too-soon path common to celebrity and fried his body while trying to fry his brain.
The ultimate irony was survinving that only to fall victim to a slow acting debilitating disease.
Another candidate for the John Belushi memorial "you could have made us laugh for years, but, n-o-o-o-o" award.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yep, definitely funny. Certainly more funny than some of his successors, such as Eddie Murphy. Murphy always struck me as this kid, looking at the audience like he was looking at his parents or other superiors, just trying to find out how much he could get away with saying. Watching some of his concerts on HBO and others in the 80's, he would tell a joke, then look at the audience with that "gee, I wonder if I'll get slapped for this one" look.

He's way up there, that's for sure. There are many funny comics and comedians. (The difference being that a comic says things funny, and a comedian says funny things.)
In my eyes Pryors a giant, a view not shared by everybody. It is such a personal call. The top is very wide in that category. Even Jerry Lewis is funny when he's not trying to be.
But don't pay any attention to me...I'm the guy who thinks Nathan Lane is one of the funniest people alive...no wait.. Charlie Callus is the funniest....Carson?? Or was it Jonathan Winters? Richard Jeni... yes Jeni cracks me up... did I mention Carlin? I meant to say Lee Evans.. (Mouse Hunt is VERY funny.. in spots..) I just KNOW I'm missing a few hundred...
Anyway.. we lost a very talented guy. He will be missed.
Oh... then there is Ron James who got a slice of ham so thin once, that the pig didn't even know it was missing from his arse.

Wanda Sykes!

My favorite line about thin meat has always been, "...it was so thin it only had one side."
I've used that for so long, I don't even remember now if I heard it from someone else or if I made it up myself...I wish...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

"It's all surface area, Jerry, there's no place for the flavor to hide!"
B.

I'll be using this...<G>

see his network show, both episodes? It was the best TV I have seen, so I guess it didn't stand a chance.
Eugene McCarthy also died today - at 82.
Both men tried to change things - for the better - and did.
Not a bad obit for my money.
charlie b

I personally never found Pryor all that funny - seemed like he just cussed for the sake of cussing.

body language, or just a facial expression. The SNL show where he did the Joe Cocker impersonation side-by-side with Cocker is still one of my favorites. But to this day, nobody can reduce me to tears like Sam Kinison when he got on a roll.
B.

Remember the samurai chef? :)
I don't get into discussions about who is the funniest comic bvecause it is so personal and so subjective. For every Bill Cosby fan there's a Woody Woodbury (remember him?) fan as well.
FoggyTown

Don't look now, but I think you just did.
B.
<<I personally never found Pryor all that funny - seemed like he just cussed for the sake of cussing. [snip] But to this day, nobody can reduce me to tears like Sam Kinison when he got on a roll.>>
I find this combination of sentiments somewhat odd. There is hardly a better example of cussing for the sake of cussing than Kinison. Pryor was the guy who cleared the path for Kinison and so many others like him. I thought they were both pretty damn funny.
Lee

_________________________________

"Don't send 'em food. Send 'em U-Hauls! Send 'em luggage! TAKE 'EM WHERE THE F*#@ing FOOD IS!"
<G>
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:40:28 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

"Mizz Rudolph could you please do somethin' 'bout dis monkey"
"I don't have ta do nuttin' 'bout da monkey. Da monkey live here.
You just visitin'"
(Is It Something I Said, 1975)
Years ago he almost died when that cigarette lighter accidently lit in his pants pocket. Remember?
Lee Gordon apparently said,on my timestamp of 11/12/2005 9:40 AM:

and sorely missed.
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
On 10/12/2005 5:40 PM, Lee Gordon wrote:

Wherever he is, I betcha' he's still low-runnin'.