OT: replacing/repainting microwave interior?

Our RV microwave started sparking today.. The wheels for the turntable have worn the "floor" surface down and allowed it to rust and lift the surface.. I didn't want to paint it because of possible fumes, but a friend suggested "epoxy paint"... I've never heard of it..

Any suggestions on resurfacing it appreciated..

Reply to
Mac Davis

Can't believe you'd consider risking your safety over something obviously worn out. I'm not an electrical engineer, and there may be those who will say there is no risk, I'm just sayin'...

Reply to
Bill

Buy a new one for $50 and gut the old one. There's a really nice pair of refrigerator magnets inside the magnetron. Lots of switches, nice cooling fan, several sq ft of sheet metal, slow rpm turntable motor, useful for making a spray paint table.

Make *damned* sure the big oil-filled capacitor (you can't miss it) is discharged before sticking your fingers into the chassis.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Buy a new one for $50 and gut the old one. There's a really nice pair of refrigerator magnets inside the magnetron. Lots of switches, nice cooling fan, several sq ft of sheet metal, slow rpm turntable motor, useful for making a spray paint table.

Make *damned* sure the big oil-filled capacitor (you can't miss it) is discharged before sticking your fingers into the chassis.

THANK YOU!! I have one in the garage ready for dismemberment!

Had the same issue as the OP. So old I never even considered not buying a new one.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Buy a new one for $50 and gut the old one. There's a really nice pair of refrigerator magnets inside the magnetron. Lots of switches, nice cooling fan, several sq ft of sheet metal, slow rpm turntable motor, useful for making a spray paint table.

Make *damned* sure the big oil-filled capacitor (you can't miss it) is discharged before sticking your fingers into the chassis.

As cheap as they are nowadays, I can't believe anyone wouldn't just buy another instead risking the safety of themselves and other users by trying to repair beyond the basic part replacement.

Reply to
SBH

There's tough 'touch-up' paint for appliances, it's the epoxy stuff. It'll work, but likes a clean surface to start with.

If this has to fit in your RV, it might be difficult to replace, but you also might look at what is available in new ones. Usually 'sparking' is just a cleaning issue, but not always.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks.. I think that after all the replys here, I can talk my wife into replacing the unit.. It should be easy to find a used unit.. Lots of folks bring their RV's to Baja when they move here and then never use them..

Reply to
Mac Davis

My original Microwave in my 5th wheel caught fire. Fortunately, got it out before any major damage. Replaced with a $59 Magic Chef from Home Depot. Fit perfectly.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Thanks, Doug.. I printed your reply out for the boss.. ;)

Reply to
Mac Davis