OT reminder - Keep a close eye on your kids!

Page 1 of 3
... and drill them constantly in the steps they need to do to react to danger and protect themselves against abduction!
Our family dodged a bullet last night.
My 19 year old daughter, taking care of an across the street neighbor's dog while they are out of town for the holidays, was the subject of an attempted abduction around 9:30 last evening.
I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that she got to spend last night in her own bed in part because she had been drilled countless times on ALWAYS being aware of her surrounding, the fact that we had gone over, many times, with her the steps to take if she felt in any danger, AND the fact that she had the local police number on her cell phone speed dial.
Luck, and our previous precautions, were on our side last night .. and it took both!
If you haven't already done so, do something similar for your kids, TONIGHT!
I am still shaking with relief and anger (and, when I can think about it, a bit of pride in her coolheaded response) ... which may explain why I am so touchy this morning ... but for your kid's sake, please take this to heart immediately!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Glad to hear your daughter is safe and sound. Your training paid off, didn't it? Good job, dad.
βœ–

I'm glad all turned out well. She's lucky to have a dad like you. I have an 11-year daughter; she thinks she's 16. This is a quiet area. At night, car doors and windows are often left open, lawn mowers (or snowblowers) parked on the lawn, the odd open garage door. kids' bikes (or skis..LOL) left outside... but not as relaxed as, say, even 5 years ago.
We often get lured into this false sense of security and your reminder is much appreciated. Although by itself not enough, maybe 11 is not too young for a cell phone?
Rob
0Ώ0
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Same here.

I hope so!

I surely don't believe so.
I wrote letters, and appeared before the local school board, right after 9/11 because of what I perceived as an outdated policy against cell phones on the the local High School campus. Just possession of one in a backpack at the time, turned off, was grounds for expulsion and confiscation.
My daughter was going to carry one and I dared anyone to "confiscate" it, and flat out refused to sign the parent's portion of the Code of Conduct concerning cell phones written by some idiot educrat.
I didn't see anybody else behind me the whole time I was making my feelings known on this issue, but someone listened because the second semester that same year the policy was changed so that possession was allowed as long as they were not used on campus during normal school hours.
Sometimes if only takes one *sshole ... and I got that part down pat.
In any event, do you what you need to do to protect that young lady, including a cell phone, IMO.
It may not be the whole solution, but it was key to survival last evening ... and, after twelve years experience raising teenage daughters, I can guarantee cell phones are at least one source of your "peace of mind" when you can't physically be there to protect them, and the older they get, the less often that is..
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Ain't that the truth ! And you never stop worrying, and every time the phone rings in the middle of the night, you dread what you might hear from the other end.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"GregP" wrote in message

when
the
One half of a conversation, repeated countless times a month, and worth, many times over, the monthly fee:
"Hi Dad, just wanted you to know that X and I are leaving Y and going to Z ..., I'll call you when we get there."

Yep. That one is hitting home, for the second time, now that the youngest is away in college for nine months of the year
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Ours are out of the house, one has a child of his own, so we can't demand they check in that often :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

we can... all 3 have cell phones that we gave them and pay for on the family plan... they had BEST call home.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:51:23 GMT, mac davis

Good strategy...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Here's to the *sholes amongst us! They get things done.
--RC
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

You're fukkin' right.
Add pictures here
βœ–

We had an incident in the public washroom of the local mall, last Sunday. Sexual abuse at knife point. In the Women's washroom, during shopping hours, no less. I don't envy that prick when he gets busted.....and he will. So the topic was on the table. Our young lady agreed to temporarily give up one of her dance classes to take a 'street-proofing' course. She lit up at the thought of having a cell phone. "COOOOL"
We are lucky to have an advantage here. One of our best family friends is a forensic nurse, certified witness etc., for sexual assault and domestic violence. Her brother is the Deputy Chief of Police in this sleepy town of 75,000. So we're 'on it'.
This town is soooo sleepy, Michael Moore (and I am NOT getting into a discussion what *I* think about him), featured our town and mayor in Bowling For Columbine.
So we agree on a street proofing course. A chat with our Nurse friend. A chat with the Deputy. A little young for a Derringer?
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Eleven is definitely not too young for a cell phone. As well as a long, serious talk about the dangers of human predators and how to spot and avoid them.
I don't want to make you paranoid, but your daughter is coming into the prime years as a target for child molesters -- old enough to be interesting to most of them and still young enough to be naive and relatively defenseless.
--RC
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Don't wait until your child is 11 to get worried about child molesters.
I was only three. THREE.
βœ–

That identifies a huge problem. Just because *I* can't get my head around WHY/HOW in God's name anybody could do such a thing, doesn't mean some sick fuck feels the same way I do. Our family friend (She's a forensic nurse specializing in sexual and violent domestic crimes.) said to me last night: "Rob, you really don't have any idea what I see in a day's work."
Guilty.
I'm 55. Maybe *I* need some street proofing too?
Add pictures here
βœ–

You know, Silvan, if we try hard enough, I'm sure we could eventually find something that you and I disagree on. But it hasn't happened yet.
Dave Hinz
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm sure you are up to that task all by your self.. LOL
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:11:16 -0500, Silvan

So, who did you molest at that young age?
-- "Menja bι, caga fort!"
Add pictures here
βœ–
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

That wasn't funny, Larry.

βœ–
C-less wrote: snippage of something in remarkably poor taste. I'm going to assume you hit send before thinking.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work