OT: rec access

I've been accessing the rec using my Web TV discuss feature but am considering dropping Web TV.
How do you non-Web TV folks access this rec?
Thanks,
RonT
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:01:36 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron Truitt) wrote:

My Internet provider (Cox) offers usenet access.
Mike O.

You mean you are getting a real computer and internet access? The internet service provider will have a setup for email and for newsgroups. You put the information into the newsreader program and they you have access to all the groups.
Some internet service providers do not provide access to news groups. Then you have to buy access from a usenet service provider. You can also access them thru Google.
Your ISP needs to give you the url for the usenet news server they're using. With Comcast it's Giganews news.comcast.giganews.com
In your browser, probably in "prefernces".find the server set ups and look for New (NNTP) Server, fill in the name your ISP provided.
charlie b
I use Google groups, its free, reliable and available anywhere using any browser. It works well with Firefox.
http://groups.google.com /

Either it does not really work so well with Firefox or you just don't chose to quote the text you're responding to - a not-so insignificant complaint in the usenet community. This is a common issue with posters using google groups and it does nothing to convey the context of a reply.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Of course it allows you to quote, I did it right here through google. It's operator error.
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:01:36 -0600, Ron Truitt wrote:

If you're talking about dialup and not DSL or cable, I suggest trying my ISP. I use Intergate and their monthly fee for unlimited access is $9.95.
And yes, they provide usenet acess via,IIRC, Supernews.
Been with them for over a year now - they're more reliable than most I've used.
(Since I'm using google groups, I'll provide some context...) In response to the previous post recommending a specific ISP, I'd check first whether Verizon offers DSL in your area. I was paying $9.95/mo for dialup, and then switched to Verizon DSL at $14.95/mo, and it's vastly faster, and nicer to have it on all the time and not tying up the phone. In response to the original poster's question, I've been satisfied with google groups. Andy

With newsreader software on my computer. I can use my ISP's news feed but have a subscription with supernews as they have better retention and propagation, and I can stay current when travelling.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he