OT Rant

Page 4 of 7

IOW, same old, same old ...
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Nah, they're optional. I think the last president to have a vegetable garden on the White House grounds was FDR.
wrote in message

That was the wife ...
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:07:54 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"

He had a swingset put up on the Whitehouse grounds.
He's logged lebenty gazillion miles in Air Force One already. Between his and Algore's energy waste, OPEC is smiling from the nice, brisk sales.
He tried to shake the Queen's hand but kissed an Arab king's hand.
He's spent more money in <1 year than the last President wasted in 8 full years.
He's calling for mandatory health insurance I can't afford, but he'll happily fine me AND put me in jail if I don't buy it from him.
He's stomping the Constitution in other ways, too, and even more easily than Shrub did.
He's installing Czars who don't know anything about the projects they're supposed to be heading. [Holdren worked with a freaky author (Paul Ehrlich) whose every work has been proven entirely wrong. Read the reviews for "Ecoscience" and tell me that you don't get a very bad feelling about the guy. Methinks all the titles and honors this guy holds are honorary or politically-based. I couldn't believe the wiki on it.]
Yeah, he's full of change. But do we want -any- of it?
Dayam, I never thought I'd miss the Shrub...
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

He offers oppression, slavery, and economic ruin that appeals to the shiftless, indolent, lazy, and mooching classes.

I absolutely totally believe that the economy has run it's course regardless of who did what, had they done any thing or not. I blame the people for panicking and bailing out of the stock market and I blame the media and the Mad Dog guy that you seldom see any more for the panic. The media is unmatched in the ability of building a mountian out of a mole hill.
Swine flu is still the raging topic. Swine flu has killed 1000 Americans since Spring. What they don't tell you is that the "Regular" flu has continued to kill 35,000 Americans since the Spring. I believe that the comon cold is going to cause more problems that the Swine flu will discounting the panic that the media has caused.

I agree with you entirely. With the Canadian government making all sorts of claims and promises without being truly ready and the press whipping the public into a frenzy of worry, it's no wonder the whole thing is a monster clusterf**k. And yeah, you're right, the regular flu kills many more people than the swine flu, only regular flu deaths haven't been publicized nearly as much. I'll bet that changes now too.
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:25:42 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

I'd likely say "It probably wasn't him who did it." We cannot spend our way out of a bloody economic hole, foo.

Um, how are your "hope and change" working for you, Uppy?
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:31:26 -0800, Larry Jaques >

Probably true, but only up to a point. I say the spending lessens the sudden pain to a point where it might be considered tolerable. The downside that I see is that it lengthen the climb out the hole, but I believe it leaves a number of important things intact to be rebuilt at the end of the process. Things that might not exist if a sudden termination of government support actually did happen.

Hope is working reasonably well for me thank you. It does what it's supposed to do and allows one to survive another day with mind intact And please take my word for it, my hope as been challenged very severely on occasion. Maybe it's my imagination instead that allows me to survive, but hope and imagination are pretty interchangeable as far as thinking about my challenges goes. And yes, I'm arrogant enough to say that I've been challenge more than most.
As for change, it never comes fast enough in those areas that it's really needed.
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 22:14:55 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

I won't get into this argument with you very deeply, but it's sad that the gov't didn't head things off instead of giving all that money to the wrong people after millions had been de-housed and de-jobbed. And forcing money on banks who said they didn't need it, resulting in bonuses for their management was just too much. What has happened here is just as bad as the missing billions in Iraq.
I still can't believe that the CONgresscritters and others in D.C. have all sworn this solemn oath of office:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

Good answer.
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 06:43:42 -0800, Larry Jaques

Maybe there should be an addendum line
"As long as it doesn't take away my right to benefit somewhere along the line"

Yes we can. (Sorry, couldn't resist) Speaking as an economist, the only way out is to increase aggregate demand and there's only three things that can do that: increase exports, increase private investment in capital goods, or increase government spending. The alternative to government spending is to pray that Chinese demand increases enough so they start importing from the rest of us. Private spending on investment goods ain't gonna happen until things are profitable again.
Government spending increases is how we got out of the 1930s depression. Economies remained stagnant throughout the 1930s until government spending was massively increased starting with Germany from 1934-1938 (autobahns, public works and infrastructure, rearmament), Canada and the UK did did it from 1939-45, US did in 1941-45.
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Government spending is how the 1930s Depression was lengthened beyond its natural lifecycle.
Economics is called the "Dismal Science" for a reason - economists never allow reality to intrude on their cute littler theories (as witnessed above).
Tim Daneliuk said:

Oh, please. This is a long discounted canard.

No fan of economists here, but our current situation was caused by the wholesale export of jobs and factories, thieving bankers, K-street, financial con-men and rocketing energy costs. War profiteers and energy monopolies coddled by the government haven't helped either.
Greg G.

Hardly. How long did it take for the stock market to recover to pre-'29 levels?

It took you a while, but you finally hit the nail with your last four words. ...and you want even more.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

"Hope" is not a strategy; "Change" is not a tactic.
Both are similar to the matron's advice to the young bride regarding her wedding night: "Just lie back and think of England."
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

To fools and children (and moochers)...
me.
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:36:33 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

I was wondering when the local clown would show up. Guess he's not available anymore since he prefers to be an asshole instead.
Got any woodworking content to contribute this time fool? It's going on three years now waiting for you to contribute *anything* in the realm of woodworking.
Enjoy!

I think it is Revelations that speaks of demons being cast to the Earth towards the end times. They seem to be landing.....

I ully agree with the above!! I have never been and hope not ever to be in the position of a psychiatrist who has been treating PTSD in so many people. I thougth there was something like a rule that psychiatrists needed to be under the care of a psychiatrist.
Whether this guy was a muslim, an agnost or right wing christian has nothing to do with his apparent mental disease.
Just my opinion, YMMV and probably does
--
Best regards
Han