OT: Radiant heated slabs

Since LPG Prices have literally gone through the roof I was curious if anybody was heating a radiant slab with an electric water heater. Would you do it again etc....

Knothead

Reply to
Knothead

Yes, me. I get 1 degree (f) of temperature rise per hour that the 4500W heater is on. I'm on time-of-use electrical metering, so on weekends and at night the energy costs for that heat is significantly less than buying propane. I have, I believe, 30 tons of thermal mass to work with; would have to find the numbers but I remember that as being the number. 30x50 basement slab 4-5" thick, plus a 16x24 concrete/spancrete slab 12" thick if you want to do the math yourself.

Hydronic heat is great; the radiant heat is very pleasant. If you're building, put the tubing in when you pour the slab, and you've got tons of options. But yes, do the math, and when electricity is cheaper than propane, use it. No regrets whatsoever.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like regarding my setup, either here or by email; my address is legit.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Great, thanks for the info. I have a considerably smaller installation than yours, (1000 sq ft) but the initial design was an Aquastar on demand system thats been problematic and if I'm going to change it I think I'm going electric simply for the ease of installation. As well as solar add-ons apparently work better with stored water than on demand systems. Knothead

Reply to
Knothead

I don't know your site conditions, but if you set the slab up for radiant heat you might want to consider installing provisions for a solar upgrade. Collectors come in all kinds ranging from professionally manufactured to home-built.

RonB

Reply to
RonB