OT: Quote

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."

...Hub, in "Second Hand Lions"

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote in news:49bce0e6$0$33214$815e3792 @news.qwest.net:

I'll second that, Morris!

In addition, Mom said, we're put on this earth to help each other ...

Reply to
Han

You should fix your clock before you attempt any of those things.

Reply to
MJMIII

"MJMIII" wrote in news:2fOdnVvRtLkqeyHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I thought that food, beer and sex were timeless goodies ...

Reply to
Han

Too profound for me this early in the morning. Food, sex and beer, that's all I'm prepared to believe in at this moment.

Reply to
Upscale

Not if you're an hour early.

Reply to
MJMIII

Next to "Casablanca" and "The World's Fastest Indian", one of my all time favorites. The electorate, as ignorant as it is, tries to embrace that every sentiment time it's called upon to cast its vote ... too damn bad our political heroes always put lie to it.

Reply to
Swingman

Words to live by.

Great movie, one of the few that I will watch a second time.

Another great movie, Worlds Fastest Indian. A similar outlook on life.

Reply to
Leon

Something things are believed *because* they are true.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Seems like that should have been in "The Sayings of Lazarus Long" :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

"Morris Dovey" wrote

One of my wife's favorite movies. She has watched in again and again.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reading the words is pretty powerful. Seeing and hearing Robert Duval saying them - to a wide eyed, wet behind the ears kid - that's goose bumps territory. An idea worth passing down from generation to generation.

Thanks.

Reply to
charlieb

Good for her! Not many modern women appreciate the making of a man.

Here's another good quote:

------

Remember us, he said to me. That was his hope.

"Go tell a Spartan, passer-by, That here, by Spartan law we lie"

And so my king died, and my brothers died, barely a year ago. Long I pondered my king's cryptic talk of victory. Time has proven him wise, for from free Greek to free Greek, the word was spread that bold Leonidas and his three hundred, so far from home, laid down their lives. Not just for Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds.

Now, here on this ragged patch of earth called Plataea, Xerxes's hordes face obliteration!

Just there the barbarians huddle, sheer terror gripping tight their hearts with icy fingers... knowing full well what merciless horrors they suffered at the swords and spears of three hundred. Yet they stare now across the plain at TEN THOUSAND Spartans commanding thirty thousand free Greeks! HA-OOH!

The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Greek. This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a future brighter than anything we can imagine.

Give thanks, men, to Leonidas and the brave 300! TO VICTORY!

Reply to
HeyBub

I haven't seen the Indian movie yet. I have to, soon.

As far as political heroes go, I put them all in the same can that I use for John Wayne and other phonies.

Reply to
Charlie Self

never even heard of it, my wife said someone said it was ok, so we watched it. OK is a gross understatement.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

And the idea of Dyin' With Your Boots On - in a bi-plane - that your crazy brother was trying to fly - through a barn - upside down - at age

79 or 80 - now THAT would make for a great obituary!

I wish there was some way to deal with tele-marketers the way those two olf coots dealt with traveling salesmen. The idea of luring them out to me - then shotgunning their computer sure sounds appealing as hell to me. And maybe a hunting trip for the folks who do the robo-calls would be a hell of a lot of fun too.

Not sure what would be appropriate for those that ring your doorbell at

7 am - on a Saturday morning asking if you've thought about eternity and have found what they believe is GOD! When I tell them that GOD is actually a little black lady - in Brooklyn - and that SHE is not very please with them wakin' folks up from well deserved sleep - it takes some of the wind out of their sails - for a moment or two.
Reply to
charlieb

Simplest thing in the world.

Two solutions.

1) Install an answering machine and NEVER pick up the phone until you hear a voice on the other end you recognize.

2) Play mind games.

If you want to answer the phone, wait for the initial spiel then respond, "That is very interesting, mind if I ask you a question?"

Wait for response.

When they answer "Yes", respond, "Why did you make that statement?"

SHUT UP AND WAIT.

When they answer repeat, "That is very interesting, mind if I ask you a question?"

Probably will probably take 30-60 seconds for the SOB to hang up, but they will give up.

I sometimes do it just to waste the caller's time, if I'm bored.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I seldom get any calls like that. Unlisted phone number must help. I also made sure I was on all the NoCall lists. The only ones who have unlimited access are Sir Paul McCartney, Swingman and, of course, Morris. Now, that my dear Angela and Snowflake are in Chicago shopping for March Break, I will also allow calls from Ms Anniston, Meg, and in a pinch, Scarlett.

Reply to
Robatoy