OT Question - El Camino Shell

I've been looking all over the web, with no usalble result. I know my mother won't know, so decided to ask here.
Today the younger kid came home with a camper shell, in excellent condition I might add, for my '78 El Camino, it's even the same color. The shell cost a grand total of $10. That's ten dollars. Heh heh, small drive by gloat. I don't know where, or how, the kid comes up with stuff like this, but he does, all the time. Now if he would just do the same with woodworking tools.
I've never had any experienc with shells on anything but a regular pickup, where they're held on by C-clamps.
I'm sure at least one of you guys had/has an El Camino with a shell. So, the question is: How is this thing held on?
JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.
Ya know, I've wondered about that myself, what with El Camino's not having bedrails and all. Good post! I hope someone has the answer! --dave

DUCT TAPE!!!!! (Held in place with a couple of brads just until the Duct Tape dries...)
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

If duct tape doesn't work, and Gorilla tape doesn't work (no - that will hold anything - if you don't want 2" black stripes), then your appropriate fastener MUST be available through McFeeley's. Andy
Tue, Sep 19, 2006, 5:41am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Andy) doth also contributereth: If duct tape doesn't work, and Gorilla tape doesn't work (no - that will hold anything - if you don't want 2" black stripes), then your appropriate fastener MUST be available through McFeeley's. Andy
Ah, Red Green has a helper, eh?
JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.
Tue, Sep 19, 2006, 6:37am snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (MikeMarlow) doth contributeth: DUCT TAPE!!!!! (Held in place with a couple of brads just until the Duct Tape dries...)
I take it Red Green is your screen name.
JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.
J T wrote:

"Screen names" only exist on AOL
Was able to get out to day and check the shell over. Turns out there's four hooks inside, tightened with wing nuts. So looks like I'll have to drill four holes in the side of the bed for the hooks to fit into, then tighten them with the wingnuts. Rain today, so all I did was just looki it over. The shell is in excellent condition, with the exception of needing a scrub. Gloat, gloat, gloat. LMAO
I'm gonna try to stop by Ace Hardware tomorrow, to see if they'v got some type of thingy I can use self tapping screws to hold in place, then loop the hooks in them, rather than drilling holes. If so, that's probably the way I'll go. If not, I'll drill the holes. Life is basically good.
JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.
J T wrote:

Are there not tie downs in the bed of the Camino like regular truck beds? Its been a while since I've seen one but I thought they had them.
Tue, Sep 19, 2006, 8:11pm snipped-for-privacy@spam.com (EugeneNine) doth queryeth: Are there not tie downs in the bed of the Camino like regular truck beds? Its been a while since I've seen one but I thought they had them.
Not in mine at any rate. My son and I set it on the truck today to check it out. We figure it's best I pieck up some new hold downs - Ace has some that're almost clones of the originals. That and a bit of weathersstripping and I'll be set. Dunno how old the shell is but it'sin almost new condition, no holes in the screens, the struts to h old the door up are excellent, just need to scrub the outside top clean. I'll stop by ace to picku up four new hooks, and some weather stripping. Then sit it on, figure out where to drill four holes, and clamp it down. No prob. I may need a new latch, it looks like a key is broken off in the old one - small stuff, no wories. Life is basically good.
JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.